Gorges du Todra / Gorges du Dades Morocco

Fitzdangle

Reaction score
Has anyone done the 42 km piste that joins these two gorges together the Lonely Planet guide suggests that it takes around 5 hours in a 4WD and only to tackle it between May and September.

A group of use wanted to attempt it in October on Tourances......... are we mad or can it be done ? :jester

Did it at Xmas on a roadgoing R80 on Macadam 50 tyres in 1998. No problem.

Casey (Bushboy) has just done it on an GSA with TKCs.

Very doable but a long day out.

Simon

Henry Mawson said:
You the man
HENRY

Daft bugger who didn't know better at the time - more like!

The story of that trip was featured in 4th Edition of the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook (the red one) under the title 'Village from Hell!'

Fitzdangle

If you want to discuss the terrain etc, send me an email..

sorebums at yahoo.co.uk

Simon

I hope you don't mind me posting this Simon :thumb

<iframe name="cwindow" style="border:0" width=750 height=500 src="http://www.ukgser.com/adventures/simonmc/simonmcukgs.htm"></iframe></div>​

I tried doing the longer Route from the todra to the dades in late november on a fully loaded 850GS with TCk80s. The whole route is marked as scenic on the michelin map! I got to the half way point above Agoudal and came a cropper on the high pass as it was very wet and muddy with zero grip. there was snow on top, so melt water soaked the final valley before the top pass at 2800m.

Loely planet is usually over dramatic so i ignored that. agree with comments above. But Sahara over land also said it was possible so i thought i would give it a go.. Fortunately a random goat herd saved me from my misadventure. he helped me push bike out of muddy valley after a rather heavy fall.

If trying, swap luggage for a strong friend.

Also if doing it from the todra to the dades there is an Auberge in Agoudal on teh road north out the village. A chap with othopedic shoes runs it, can't remember his name, but he speaks english perfectly, and will give you a very accurate description of the route before you go up, and whether it is do-able, considering snow rain etc.

Isn't it funny how alike all the feelings are from person to person when you get in the shite in an alien enviroment - petrol, paranoia and the fecking smiling locals .

The curse of the lonesome traveller :D

Steptoe said:
Isn't it funny how alike all the feelings are from person to person when you get in the shite in an alien enviroment - petrol, paranoia and the fecking smiling locals .

The curse of the lonesome traveller :D

That's why it's a good idea to read the first page of 'Jupiters Travels' every now and then, just to reming yourself that whatever happens, you can and will sort it :thumb

Basically it's a series of three interlinked stony river beds. I've done it three times...

... riding solo on a 1200GS with luggage took 3.5 hours
... in a group on an F650GS twin and no luggage took 13 hours, the last six by moonlight :eek
... riding solo on a Yamaha Tenere with luggage took 2.5 hours

So conditions are--how do you say?--variable. ;)

It all depends on how much flooding and damage has been caused in the previous few months. On the 13-hour jaunt we had two places where the piste was cut and in one place we had to 'porterage' the bikes round. We got back to our hotel at 3am, then the next day Devon of this parish had to go and recover his bike that had a failed battery 6 miles up the piste.

Tim

Pity, looks like a nice loop, but 2 up on an 1100 with luggage is too risky for me. Looks OK up to a place that is marked Msemrir on my map though.

The loop from the Todra Gorges to Goulmina is a do-able surface now, isn't it?

Yes, the tarmac stops at M'semrir.

Up the Todra and right at Ait Hani for Goulmina. This is what I call 'The Three Gorges route' as there's three gorges along the way—I have real imagination when it comes to naming routes. :) Four hopefully fairly low fords.

Gite Chez Moha Ousri at N32 00.200 W5 02.212 is nice and costs 150dh dinner bed and breakfast, 200dh ensuite. See http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...r63231277-Gite_d_etape_chez_moha-Morocco.html There's a couple of other gites close by.

It was a pleasant day out for us last September.

It took most of the day but we started late and were taking it really easy with a large break in the middle for caving.

report: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246257&page=2

post #22.

As Tim says it seems to be very dependant on weather as mini landslips and washouts seem common.

Contrast our day with that of some guys we met going the other way.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244253 posts ##13 and 27.

See also post #30 of Riz's report (above) for what I think it could probably be like if you get the weather wrong. #30 is on a different piste but they look similar.

Back
Top Bottom