Bilbao to Estoril

Mutley

Reaction score
Early days I know but I'm planning a trip to Estoril for the Moto G.P. round in October. I wondered if there were any must see areas or places to include in Northern or Central Spain, or should we get to Portugal asap? :nenau

(I've heard bad things about Portuguese drivers?! :eek: )

We'll be going over by P&O to Bilbao (docking on Thursday early a.m.) and riding down so we want to take a couple of days to get down there in time for final qualifying on the Saturday. On the way back we have two and a half days to catch the ferry (Monday to Wednesday lunch time) so we can be even more leisurely. My partner on the trip will be on a sports bike so off road tossing is out I'm afraid, just good roads etc.

Cheers in advance for any info. :clap

....I take it that you know that they have moved the date for this race. It was going to be on the 22nd, but now it's the 15th. I was going to go myself as I am going to Valencia for the last G.P. on the 29th ( the races would have been on consecutive Sundays ) but they shifted the date........Why do they do that ?.......happens every year......come December/ January, some dates change......has also happened this year with some W.S.B. dates.

Yes thanks, we waited until the calender was confirmed.

The dates moving thing is due to contract negotiations - who will blink first. Last year Brazil didn't blink at all so they all went to Estoril instead, somebody needs to learn about negotiation there I think!

We did this trip two years ago. Crossed to Santander and rode through the Picos de Europa, down through Salamanca and stayed in Guadalupe MAP in the cloisters of a beautiful converted monastery HERE about E55 per night for a double - 5 Star Luxury at 2 star prices. Would recommend to anybody and will definately go again (for longer). From there Estoril was only a days ride.

Estoril was manic but we managed to rent a small apartment in Cascais for 3 nights while the GP was on. Prices go through the roof during this period though so it is probably advisable to book early. In hindsight we should have stayed in Sintra which is not very far from the circuit and were told is a lot cheaper. The circuit is disappointing as a spectator venue, we had tickets for the main grandstand but threw them away on race day and bought some for another area which was a little better. Just don't go expecting to see alot of the circuit - Valencia is the one for that.

We then rode down through the mountains around Monchique and that was probably the best scenery we saw in Portugal but I hear the north is better.

We found Portugal to be dearer than Spain - especially fuel, so fill up before you cross the border or you'll have a nasty shock!

We didn't find the driving in Portugal too bad and had no problems at all.

Hope this is of some help.

Andy

Cheers

Thanks Andy,

The Picos look good and so does that monastery. I think we might end up doing the Picos on the way back as I'd like to pick up some Port from the Douro area. Good info on Sintra as well, I think we'll do that. I've made the mistake of staying in the obvious place close to the circuit before - in Barcelona :eek:

We realise that it's not the best G.P. to go to but we haven't done this one yet. If it's not that good we won't go back, but these dates are good for us this year.

Anybody suggest a good place to stay in the Picos?

Many Tossers from this place who are passing through the Picos stay at the Hotel Infantado just outside Potes

It's cheapish, has a bar & restaurant, pool and off-street parking. The manager is a bit of a Basil Fawlty but his missus is friendly ;)

estoril

Mutley1150 said:
Early days I know but I'm planning a trip to Estoril for the Moto G.P. round in October. I wondered if there were any must see areas or places to include in Northern or Central Spain, or should we get to Portugal asap? :nenau

(I've heard bad things about Portuguese drivers?! :eek: )

We'll be going over by P&O to Bilbao (docking on Thursday early a.m.) and riding down so we want to take a couple of days to get down there in time for final qualifying on the Saturday. On the way back we have two and a half days to catch the ferry (Monday to Wednesday lunch time) so we can be even more leisurely. My partner on the trip will be on a sports bike so off road tossing is out I'm afraid, just good roads etc.

Cheers in advance for any info. :clap
can't give you much advice but i hope you hav'nt pre bought your tickets ,buy them at the circuit 30euro's last year for 3 days ,its right you cant see a whole lot of the circuit ,and as ever you need to be at the circuit early on race day to get a good position 8-0 clock ,no seats except grandstand but there are concrete steps but mostly inhabited by spaniards and they all stand .Apart from that if you want a fantastic seafood meal of an evening there is a loverly restaurant along the seafront at cascais it does trad portugese ,medalions of pork with clams ,local veg and copius amounts of the local wine , then you can go for a ride along the west coast to sintra theres a beautiful castle /fortress there [be careful on the motoray to portugal keep it under a ton hope this is of some help

barkin pumpkin said:
can't give you much advice but i hope you hav'nt pre bought your tickets ,buy them at the circuit 30euro's last year for 3 days ,its right you cant see a whole lot of the circuit ,and as ever you need to be at the circuit early on race day to get a good position 8-0 clock ,no seats except grandstand but there are concrete steps but mostly inhabited by spaniards and they all stand .Apart from that if you want a fantastic seafood meal of an evening there is a loverly restaurant along the seafront at cascais it does trad portugese ,medalions of pork with clams ,local veg and copius amounts of the local wine , then you can go for a ride along the west coast to sintra theres a beautiful castle /fortress there [be careful on the motoway to portugal keep it under a ton hope this is of some help
YOU COULD EASILY GET FROM BILBAO TO LISBON IN A DAY, but if you want to take two days then i would head southwest from bilbao and maybe go down the west coast of portugal i cant recomend anywhere unfortunately i travelled alone last year and was'nt too fussy where i stayed although everywhere i found was ok but thats half the fun in my opinion

Hi Mutley,

We stayed at the Hotel Picos de Europa (Here ) which is fairly central. Room prices started at E36 but we paid E43 for a lovely room with a lounge area and balcony looking over the mountains. Breakfast was not included though. The owner was a bit gruff but don't let that put you off. There was a great tapas bar just down the road but there is plenty of choice of places to eat. :)

Do stay at the monastery - you won't regret it :thumb but eat at one of the restaurants in the square. :)

Andy

On the way back you could do a lot worse than staying at www.casazalama.com . It's run by a mate of mine whose Spanish partner is a wonderful cook :thumb

It's about an hour from Bilbao so ideal for a lunchtime ferry.

As I've said before, mention me and they'll charge you double :D

Cheers

Dick

Mutley1150 said:
... to you all for the advice.

I'll post some pictures of the trip when I get back.

H :)

Might see you there amongst the crowds or for a :beer: or 2
The wife and I are taking our youngest son (13) so we'll be flying in :mmmm
We are there from Weds 12th to 19th and we're staying in Estoril :clap
Hope the championship goes to the wire,it would be great if the tiltle is any body's when we get to the last 2 races of the season,last chance to see the 1000cc bikes in action too,they'll be racing on those puny little 800's next year :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom