Front suspension settings

John Armstrong

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The 1150 GS owners manual does't mention about changing the front suspension when carryiong pillions, only when going off-road. I seem to remember a Ride article a while back recommended going halfway between the hard and soft settings.

So which is the best?

BTW any off-roading with a pillion will not be intentional and the suspension setting at that point will be the least of my worries!:( :( :(

I don't think you need to adjust the front. The extra weight of a pillion is all on the rear wheel, so just jack up the rear pre-load and you're done.

To check, measure the front ride height (see how much the forks are compressed) with and without a pillion sat on the bike. You want the same ride height when the pillion is on (or maybe a bit lower at both ends to avoid being on tippy-toes) so adjust the pre-load at either end to get that result.

Having too much pre-load on the front will point the front end up in the air, dazzzle on-coming traffic with your dipped beam headlight, and make the bike steer like Captain America's chopper. :D

My bike came new from the dealers with the front set to 2 (out of 5 notches) and I've dropped it down to 1 (minimum). It makes a BIG difference.

Mines on 1 and has been since I got the bike. I tried it on 2 but I only weigh 11st and couldn't get the bugger to go round corners any more, so it went back to 1 and hasn't moved since.

Yep, What Paul says, just set in on one for everyfink. (maybe if you have a massive tank bag you may need to go up maybe one more notch)

If you make the front end too stiff on these things they tend to run wide on corners and dont like turning in. If you find it does this anyway then stiffen the rear until it turns in the way you like it.

Tata :)

Back
Top Bottom