Autocom vs Starcom

Daz

Is there anyone out there that's used both Autocom and Starcom? If so I would be interested to know which one you think is the best. At the moment I have an Autocom pro 7 sport which has developed a small fault. It's a few years old now so I'm thinking of replacing it with a new one. I've had a look at the Starcom 1 web site and their System sounds better than Autocoms.
Is it just hype or is the Starcom system better than the tried and tested Autocom?

Thanks, Daz.

starcom

Have used starcom for over a year with no problems at all.

The only thing that swung it for the starcom was the price.

Have used various systems. I have Autocom on my bike from the early days when I didn't know about the other systems. It works beautifully and apart from a manufacuring problem with the headset (which was put right instantly and with no fuss) has never let me down.

I have used the Starcom and it is comperable to the Autocom in terms of quality but is more competitively priced (unless you go to the shows - I heard Autocom were doing some cracking bargains recently)

That said my money at the moment would be with Inta Ride. I've used these in various situations (not just on a bike) and I don't think there's anything close to them for the money. Not as well known as the other systems but made to US military spec and CE approved. Variable power output and it even comes with a conversion table so you can use it easily with other bikes using Kenwood systems.

Starcom rider-pillion kit currently £160 - IntaRide comes in £20 cheaper!

IMHO well worth adding to the consideration list

Please note this post has been edited due to a complaint and to protect the identity of a well known intercom manufactrer

I was hoping to have my bike back already (its still getting its clutch fixed after 8 days), so I would then have been able to say first hand how good a Starcom1 unit is.

Sadly I don't ;)

I did however do a month or so of intensive research on Autc** vs Starcom1 vs Intraride.

From what I found after asking various questions on multiple forums, reading old forum and newsgroup posts etc, and even asking a few people that do have one or the other, I came to the conclusion that the 3 leading brands are much of a muchness.

Starcom1 is different to the other two in that they have the mic always on (not always hearable though - thats down to the VOX system setting). Apart from that they are very similar - all have the ability to fine-tune the VOX (mic sensitivity) and other volume based settings.

On the bluetooth side of things, Starcom1 have a solution (designed for bikes), Autoc** have a hack (its a car kit), and I don't think Intraride have anything.

Other than that, it comes a great deal down to price.

Autoc** is the most expensive. Small cables cost a few thousand percent more than the raw cost warrants (30 odd quid for a 4 pole 2.5 mm jack to 3 pole 3.5 mm jack for example - the bits cost less than a fiver retail if you make it yourself). They are currently trying to get rid of their existing stock by selling it at half price - not because its worse than Starcom1 or Intraride, but because they are about to launch a new range of products in the next few months. Another point to note is that Autoc** went out of their way to bad mouth their opposition in their sound tests, which from hearing them sound like they were rigged to make the other units sound terrible. Fine-tuning of the VOX type controls can be done to make a unit sound bad ;) Not professional regardless of which way you look at it in my opinion.

Starcom1 and Intraride are approximately the same cost. Still slighly cheaper than Autoc** even at their half-price cost, and much cheaper than Autc** at their full price cost. Starcom1 do give examples of what it 'should' sound like, and the competitor that they compare against is either Autoc** or Intraride - they don't say which though. They also give good detail on the test itself so that its repeatable by other people, so marks there for being professional about the whole 'we are better, compare our results' thing.

Time will tell if the new Autoc** units are going to be a vast improvement over their existing kit or not - given this is getting to be a fairly mature technology I can't see how though - I'm more than willing to be surprised and astounded though!

In the end, I chose Starcom1 because its cheaper and they have a better Bluetooth system. If it fails to meet expectations I will no doubt be looking at one of the new Autoc** units once they are out (not going for one of the half price systems as thats 'old' tech just like Autoc** will no doubt market Starcom1's when comparing it to their 'new' stuff).

With paying little then potentially paying lots and lots, I will still feel like I might be upgrading if I do it that way, as opposed to paying lots, then downgrading to paying less which may end up being more! Confused? :D

To answer your original question though, there are very few people that have actually tried out both Autoc** and Starcom1. The 3 examples of this that I did find all came to the conclusion that the two units are very similar, with Starcom1 being slightly cheaper. I know its hearsay, but it was good enough for me to purchase a Starcom1 unit.

I hopefully will have my bike back in the next few days - give me a week to fine-tune the Starcom1 unit to my liking and I'll post a good synopsis of my findings on that front. If its terrible, then I'll join you in getting an Autoc** unit - although as previously stated, I may wait till Autoc** release their new stuff before doing so if I do get to that point. I always did have more money than sense ;)

schiannini said:
Have used various systems. I have Autocom on my bike from the early days when I didn't know about the other systems. It works beautifully and apart from a manufacuring problem with the headset (which was put right instantly and with no fuss) has never let me down.

I have used the Starcom and it is comperable to the Autocom in terms of quality but is more competitively priced (unless you go to the shows - I heard Autocom were doing some cracking bargains recently)

That said my money at the moment would be with Inta Ride. I've used these in various situations (not just on a bike) and I don't think there's anything close to them for the money. Not as well known as the other systems but made to US military spec and CE approved. Variable power output and it even comes with a conversion table so you can use it easily with other bikes using Kenwood systems.

Starcom rider-pillion kit currently £160 - IntaRide comes in £20 cheaper!

IMHO well worth adding to the consideration list

You posted while I was typing! No fair! :)

As noted in my small epistle, IntaRide doesn't appear to have a viable bluetooth option - that was the bit that put Starcom1 in front for me.

Which system?

Thanks for all your thoughts on Starcom vs Autocom. I find Autocom to be very good except for two things. Firstly I find it's difficult to set the vox up for all speeds when also using an mp3 player. Secondly I find the auto volume is very loud at slow speeds but at motorway speeds becomes very quiet and hard to hear. The Starcom system seems to have addressed both theese problems with the open mic and the speed sensitive automatic volume control. The question is do they work? Does the volume stay constant no mater what speed you are travelling at? Does the open mic filter out all of the wind noise leaving speach loud and clear at all speeds?

Thanks again,
Daz. :thumb

Keba said:
You posted while I was typing! No fair! :)

As noted in my small epistle, IntaRide doesn't appear to have a viable bluetooth option - that was the bit that put Starcom1 in front for me.

:) sorry Keba, I didn't mean to jump the queue!

As I understand it IntaRide are about to launch a wireless system but there are no details on the website yet.

The Starcom system works well. It DOES need fine tuning of the vox sensitivity to cut down wind noise. The auto volume works ok but (to my ears) was a little quiet at high speed but bearably loud at low speed.

I prefer using it with earplugs where the wind noise gets cancelled out but the speech/music sounds good.

I have used Autocom and Starcom, prefer the Starcom because of the following reasons:

Less no "drop of voice" in conversation I found with the Autocom the first and last couple of words were dropped and any pause caused the middle to be lost as well.

Able to talk with my 5 year old when she was pillion, with the Autocom if the vox was set to her voice the wind caused my mic to dominate the system

Full Duplex able to talk at the same time useful for telling her to shut up when she sings whilst I am trying to concentrate at over the ton

Able to set different volume for rider and passenger (made really easy on the new Stacom Advance I believe) usefuls as I am a deaf old goat and volume at my level would destroy my daughters hearing

A proper Volume control for music input The Autocom could not get loud enough for listening to music from my ipaq

The headset is more comfortable Autocom really fecked with the fit of my helmet

Price

I currently have the Starcom1 I will probably switch that to the wifes bike and pickmyself up a Starcom Advance

Keba said:
Another point to note is that Autocom went out of their way to bad mouth their opposition in their sound tests, which from hearing them sound like they were rigged to make the other units sound terrible. Fine-tuning of the VOX type controls can be done to make a unit sound bad ;) Not professional regardless of which way you look at it in my opinion.
I think Autocom have felt threatened in recent times leading to some rather unprofessional behaviour, the audio tests being one. There testing was hardly independent now was it. Plus some rather unsavoury posting on ‘another forum’ under the name of Autocom Tom, with some equally smarmy support from other forum users who are ‘in the business’ left me feeling less than happy :(

I bought in a Starcom kit last year ... I had thoughts of branching out and selling everyones stuff ... still might ... but couldn't find anyone who wanted to buy it ... which is a shame as it seemed like a really good kit at a good price ... if they had had the foresight to give me a demo/display unit I would have sold a fair bit...

When left to make the choice on there own I still think that most people would choose the Autocom over any other system as it does what its meant to do and (in MY opinion) is better by far than all the other systems...

But...

Autocom is overpriced and difficult to sell to the "I just wanna talk to my Mrs" crowd and its nearly impossible to sell a pro 7 and a kenwood radio to someone who just wants to tell his mate he rides like a girl occasionally...

Does Starcom do what it say's on the tin?

Thanks for all your help. It seems from what's been said that Autocom and Starcom are about the same. I guess I really wanted to know if the Starcom worked exactly as it say's it will on the web site, and the answer seems to be yes.
So to recap, the Starcom will do everything that the Autocom will do and more. Its also quite a bit cheaper with maybe a better headset. So why do most of us buy Autocoms?
I think I'll give Starcom a try and if it turns out to be a mistake I'll let you know.

Many thanks,

And your reason for not considering IntaRide is....?

Cheaper than Starcom and IMHO better. Unless you need bluetooth?

Maybe it's the same reason people buy Autocom - because they've heard of it :)

Could someone who uses the Intaride system confirm that there is a 'jack' plug connector that goes into the unit.
I have had problems with the 'din' plugs on other systems - in the dark and cold it is easy to misalign the plug and bend a pin - this then cost me a whole new headset.
From the Intaride web site it looks like the din plug goes to an extension thet then uses a jack plug. I assume you can leave the extension attached to the headset and plug and unplug the jack ?

Clive

Clive,

Yes, the extention lead is a jack type plug that is a friction fit. Pulls straight out if you forget/fall off!

Intaride?

Schian your right, I didn't think of Intaride because up untill someone replying to this thread mentioned them I hadn't heard of them. Does the volume adjust automatically as the speed increaces? This is one of the things I like about the Starcom.
I'll go to the web site and have a look.

Cheers,

Am thinking about the Autocom / Starcom thing myself. Isn't the Starcom system currently smaller than Autocom?

Is anybody running Bike to Bike, iPOD, Phone, Garmain and 'pillion Girlfriend' (optional) on the Starcom? I can't foresee every wanting to run the full system at the same time, but can see that I'd want to run one or two from time to time - I'd like the optionality of a full on system.

I can see that I may wish to switch 'Pillion Girlfriend' OFF halfway through a ride (ahem..) if she starts singing/ swearing.

here a link for intacom, was going down the same route starcom/autocom but in the end decided on intacom. give them a call and explain what you want and they are very helpful they give you that feeling that they want to help get the right unit rather than just sell you the most expensive. so far no complaints does exactly what it says on the box :thumb

http://www.intaride.com/

Harry The Bastard said:
Am thinking about the Autocom / Starcom thing myself. Isn't the Starcom system currently smaller than Autocom?

Is anybody running Bike to Bike, iPOD, Phone, Garmain and 'pillion Girlfriend' (optional) on the Starcom? I can't foresee every wanting to run the full system at the same time, but can see that I'd want to run one or two from time to time - I'd like the optionality of a full on system.

I can see that I may wish to switch 'Pillion Girlfriend' OFF halfway through a ride (ahem..) if she starts singing/ swearing.

Just received my Starcom 1 Advance ... so I'll be temporarily wiring it to the current bike while I wait for delivery of the GSA. It is small, should be easy to tuck out of harms way.

I intend to run it for iPod, possibly phone (via Bluetooth as I have a wacky Treo phone), GPS (most likely TT Rider or Navigator) and primarily for pillion chat.

As to the `Girlfriend OFF` setting, I'm assuming that pulling the plug or a remote volume adjuster will be possible long term!

I'll post some experiences before the weekend hopefully if I get a few minutes to install/play ...

Craig

Back
Top Bottom