Loooooooooooong test ride today - GS1150

pint6x

Finally made it to SPC for a decent test ride on an 1150GS - did about 120 miles - well, basically I rode it home, successfully managed to get it into my narrow brick shed thing (just had to fold the mirrors in a bit and turn the bars to get it through the door frame - this bike had no handguards on it), then rode it back to SPC to see what laughably small pittance they might give me for my R1100R which I had left with them.

Well, what a difference between the two bikes.

The GS is physically larger of course - initial handling impressions were that it had much slower steering - it felt much larger. It also immediately gave me huge confidence to chuck it into corners - I found myself leaning into bends at surprising angles. It felt unstoppable - like it would just ride over anything in its path. It allows you to maintain surprisingly high speeds on give-and-take roads. I found myself putting it into "E" gear and just letting the lazy torque pull me along between 50 and 80 mph, changing down a couple for more instant oomph when required. It felt a bit ponderous negotiating mini roundabouts and large junctions - like it would prefer to just sail straight over everything.

Didn’t like the seat very much, and felt the riding position was a bit sail-like – you’re hung out to dry by those wide bars, but the screen stops you doing the parachute impression. I think I would like narrower bars, possibly slightly further forward. Anyone got experience of this ?

On the A303 dual carriageway I found it horribly easy to maintain a ton without too much buffetting - no more than I get on my R1100R with BMW screen. The big yellow GS certainly gets cars moving out of the way impressively.

Returning to SPC on the GS I couldn't resist a quick visit to the Bake House to visit Bakerman. Top bloke provided coffee and pastie to hungry biker. If this is roadkill, it tastes good. I've never seen anyone make Danish pastries so quickly either :)

Anyway, back to SPC - sales staff utterly disinterested in me - I did eventually manage to get the attention of one of them who informed me of the pittance they would allow me for part-ex - he managed to do this in between taking half a dozen phone calls. I wondered around for a while waiting for him to come back, and eventually decided to head home. Nice people, but the part-ex deal was pathetic, and the service less than enthusiastic. Helpful bloke on the parts counter fixed my visor though. If you’re looking at a GS, I guess you have to hope that the sales people will deign to come and help you, and if you’re “really” nice, might sell you a bike.

Getting onto my R1100R again felt like getting onto a moped after the GS, it felt so much smaller, but also much nimbler. I guess the steering geometry is quite different.

So I'm blasting home on the R1100R thinking, "damn, this is a good bike". Having done 120 miles on mine, and 120 on a GS, they’re both top bikes – I was surprised how different they felt to ride. And I’m no nearer necessarily wanting to change. I’m certainly not about to put my bike and another £4k into an 1150GS with a dealer – that’s silly money for an imported V reg bike. Still undecided.

And whom should I see terrorising the neighbourhood on his GS when pulling off the A303 at Andover on my way home on my bike again – clue – he makes bread – stopped and had a quick chat – he gave the R1100R the once over and said “not much wrong with that”. ‘kin right mate.

Comment of the day from my wife who saw the GS and said “What’s that stupid big thing sticking out at the front? It looks weird”. That, my darling, is the beak!

6X

Forget SPC come to Scotland

Pint6x,

You need to make a weekend of it and buy your GS from Calterdon,.................. at Inverness.

They will put you up FOC in the flat attached to the Showroom, what a wicked journey for you and herself.

Not only will you get a great deal off Ross, free Accomodation, but you will get North of the Border and have the bike run in by the time you get home!!

I am not on commission but have bought two GSs from them and used the Flat, a real wheeze.

You know it makes sense..........go 4 it !!

CC
;)

That will be the filling for next years mince pies taken care of!! How you doing, Andy here out of retiremant and riding the GS again.

Pint6X.

Speaking as an ex-R1100R owner, all I can say is that your observations are 100% correct.

The R1100R is a lovely bike and nimble as can be. The GS is good too but feels a little gawkier compared to the 1100R. I have an 1150GS but I miss the nimbleness of the 1100R often. In weaker moments I have thought about the newer R1150R just to get back to earth !!

But the GS1150 is OK so I'm not complaining. What about a Rockster ? Now that would be different !!

Alex B said:
What about a Rockster ? Now that would be different !!
In my opinion the Rockster is a great bike which is both modern, well made and has a great riding position with bars almost as wide as the GS. Pity about the pillion seat though.

Have Fun
AndyT:cool:

hmmmm - The Rockster

I saw a couple in the flesh on Friday when I was at SPC - like AndyT said - very wide bars - they look wider than the std 1150R bars. I am undecided about the styling - it's a bit Mad Max meets urban streetfighter.

AlexB: My reasoning goes like this - if someone wants to buy my R1100R for a reasonable price I will sell and get meself a GS. If after some time I decide I really would prefer the R, I know I can sell the GS with minimal depreciation, and go find me an R again. Maybe a newer R1100R, or maybe even an R1150R - they don't seem as popular and can be had used for around the 5 grand mark.

It'll be interesting to see how the Rockster takes off - I think it will probably be very popular in places like Italy, but maybe a bit much for our staid British tastes.

6X

Re: hmmmm - The Rockster

pint6x said:
It'll be interesting to see how the Rockster takes off - I think it will probably be very popular in places like Italy, but maybe a bit much for our staid British tastes.

6X

Funny you should mention that. My brother lives in Italy and he just bought one today (in the UK - he is riding it back to Italy). He says the Rockster rocks!

Re: Re: hmmmm - The Rockster

jnrobert said:
Funny you should mention that. My brother lives in Italy and he just bought one today (in the UK - he is riding it back to Italy). He says the Rockster rocks!
Whereabouts is he in Italy ? I'm hoping to get there on whatever BMW motorcycle I have myself in the summer.

And this is post no. 1150 for me ! a significant number if ever there was one :cool:

6X

jnrobert said:
Milan (and no, you can't stay with him :D )
Well, I don't suppose he would want me, my wife and three children. I wasn't trying to find somewhere to stay.

My wife spent her first 22 years in Milan before moving to the UK - I worked there for about 18 months and one of our sons was born there. We have a lot of family dotted around Milan, mostly around Segrate which is not far from Linate Airport.

We have a small house about 100 miles SE of Milan in the NW tip of Tuscany - My wife will take the children down there for the school summer hols and I will join them for two of those weeks, hence the bike trip.

pint6x said:
We have a small house about 100 miles SE of Milan in the NW tip of Tuscany - My wife will take the children down there for the school summer hols and I will join them for two of those weeks, hence the bike trip.

Sounds like a GSClub trip to NE Tuscany should be organised.

Back
Top Bottom