Punture @ front tyre

topap

Hi all!

I think I have a puncture on the front tyre of my F650GS. I keep losing air with a rate of 0.5bar per night.
Called BMW Battersea and they asked 51£ labour plus the price for a whole tyre (apparently they don’t change tubes only).
Two questions then:
1. Do you know anyone in London area that can do the job with a reasonable price?
2. Do you think I should change the tyre? Mind you, there is still some thread left on it and I wasn’t going to change it until summer.

Many thanks.
topap

any motorcycle tyre shop will fix it for about £ 20.
if there is loads of tread left, get it fixed, no problem

Watling Tyres in Catford...don't know how much they'd charge but they're who a lot of us use for getting TKC's and a lot of couriers use them.

Check the valve's screwed right in properly first though...take the cap off it and either spit or use soapy water to make sure it's not coming out from there...if it is, fine nosed pliers and two twists and it'll be fixed ;)

Is ultraseal such a good idea for a tubed tyre?

As long as the tyre isn't badly damaged, replacing or patching the tube (and removing any debris from the tyre so it doesn't puncture the tube again) is a totally safe and satisfactory solution.

The only reason to "not change tubes only" is to maximise profits, I reckon :D

Warthog said:
FWR in Vauxhall are very competitive. I also know a workshop in Wimbledon called Wimbledon Motorcycles who gdo that sort of job happily, just call in advance to see if they have a moment.

Very competitive?
£8.5! That's were I'm going tomorrow morning... BTW a guy who has a small garage next to my office (C.London) was asking for 40£!!!! :spitfire and he was saying that BMW would charge me a fortune... bastard! Who can you trust? :nenau

Thanks guys, you've been most helpfull!

Topap

Snooky said:
wack in some ultraseal :thumb

Yep..best way of guaranteeing another puncture, a pissed off tyre fitter when you get in tinto them and a small hole in your pocket.

It's rubbish.

my policy is buy all my tyres from one place AFAP, then they often do punctures, swaps etc. for nothing :)

Another vote for Watlings. I always have my pucture repair done there. They won't rip you off. Take the wheel in loose and they charge you even less (or they'll lend you the tools there to do the job yourself). NEVER have tyre work done at a dealership - always a ripoff.

Wounldn't touch ultraseal with a bargepole....quite dangerous IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom