bugger broke a bit

roddy

Reaction score
:spitfire while servicing the beast today I thought I would reset the TPS to make sure it was set up correctly.

loosened off one screw on the TPS sensor easy, no problems, the next screw head just snapped sraight off on my hand, bugger. and as usual it's sanpped off flush with the throttle body.

whats the best way to get this screw out ?

cheers

These might not go small enough, but have a Google for another set if not...

Screw extractors, you drill a pilot hole in the offensive broken screw and these wind in anti clockwise until they bite and hopefully drive the broken screw out...

p1410699_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101703&ts=72034&id=18643

Well prepare yourself for the 70-80 odd quid a new throttle body may cost!!

I had a similarly seized screw in an alloy part and try and try when I drilled it out the drill slipped off the harder steel of the old screw into the soft alloy. I just made the best of a bad job and tapped the hole out to the next size of screw I had in my tin.

Chris

Do you have or can you borrow a Dremmel Multi mini drill thing?
If so you can try to cut a flat slot into the broken bolt shank using the miniature cutting disc. Then before trying to remove with a suitable flat blade driver use a blow torch to heat the area :thumb

if it snapped the original screw, it'll snap a thinner, more brittle easy out.

AAMOI has anyone ever got anything out with an easy out, ever?

roddy said:
:whats the best way to get this screw out ?
Left hand drill bit sized to the thread base diameter. Center punch & drill out the core in a vertical drill press. Peel out the thread (using a steel pick) if it doesn't come out (it most likely will) when drilling.

cookie said:
if it snapped the original screw, it'll snap a thinner, more brittle easy out.

Scusing me pleez meester....speeky engleesh pleez.....what is AAMOI and easy out ? :confused:

If you're asking if anyone ever got anything out with a stud extractor - yes : more than once . they work well if used correctly. :thumb

If you use an Easyout (stud extractor) on a small screw in a soft metal body, the screw will flare & bugger up the threads.

Gecko said:
Scusing me pleez meester....speeky engleesh pleez.....what is AAMOI and easy out ? :confused:

If you're asking if anyone ever got anything out with a stud extractor - yes : more than once . they work well if used correctly. :thumb

As A Matter Of Interest

i thought easy out was a well known trade name for the type of extractors pictured. some research with google indicated this may no longer be true or never was. it's a generic name, like hoover maybe?

anyway, i can now die content. i know someone who's got one to work whatever it's called :D

cookie said:

The only people that have success with an easy-out didn't need to use one in the first place -

They are shite.

I would consider using a hacksaw to cut a slot across the thing, cutting the allow boss a bit would not be a worry. Then I would heat the thing with a blow lamp, dose wd40 or better still, easing oil. Let it cool, heat again, dose again, and try gently with a screwdriver.
All else fails, could you drill it out and re-tap,even if it means going into the bore?
Temporary, could you use a jubilee clip to hold the thing in place?

only heat once - gently

Bin Ridin said:
I would consider using a hacksaw to cut a slot across the thing, cutting the allow boss a bit would not be a worry. Then I would heat the thing with a blow lamp, dose wd40 or better still, easing oil. Let it cool, heat again, dose again, and try gently with a screwdriver.
All else fails, could you drill it out and re-tap,even if it means going into the bore?
Temporary, could you use a jubilee clip to hold the thing in place?

The screw didn't break 'cos its seized - it broke 'cos you didn't warm it first to release the thread lock. Borrow the missus's creme broule thingy and warm it just enough to turn it black then it'll come out easily.

Should've let the proffesionals do it!
Good luck
Sherpa ;)

it broke 'cos you didn't warm it first to release the thread lock.
Any other SMALL bolts you know of Sherpa that are likely to be factory thread locked and there4 likely to break if not heated? Forewarned is...... :)

sherpa said:
The screw didn't break 'cos its seized - it broke 'cos you didn't warm it first to release the thread lock. Borrow the missus's creme broule thingy and warm it just enough to turn it black then it'll come out easily.

I didn't think such a small allen screw would have loctite on it, you live and learn, I'll try heating it up and go from there

sherpa said:
Should've let the proffesionals do it!
Good luck
Sherpa ;)

I'm sure they even have there senior moments as well :)

cheers for the ideas guys I'll give it a go later on.

but how do you get the TPS off
Dunno but there must be some logical method. Is it fixed to the throttle butterfly shaft somehow? Have a look down the inlet. Could just slide off. Try a gentle twist, may be seated on an O ring or summat making it feel stuck.
This might help..............It is an 1150?

Attachments

• TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 117
it was this image in the manual that made me think it should just pull off, but it doesn't and I don't want to force it.

it's a 1100 but I think this assembly is the same for both 1100 and 1150.

the TPS does come off, it's just a bugger to get it off, it's a friction fit and needs a broad blade screwdriver to prise it off, now to get at the buggered screw.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom