Off topic - In my reply to Luke Scott elsewhere

nud1e

Reaction score
In my reply to Luke Scott elsewhere in defense of his disparaging remarks re Limerick I quote for those who may not have read this:

"Look, Luke, look for it's the little things that give you away.
Do you get the SUN to admire the tits on the girl on page 3, the Mirror for its racing info and second hand incorrect news stories, or haven't you simply moved on from the culchie mentality.
Perhaps it's all the particulates from Dublin buses or the brain numbing frustration of daily traversing the vestiages of a colonial outpost whose inhabitants delude themselves to being superior to those that have escaped the anarchy, snobbery, mindless violence, drug war murders, political corruption and senseless and unreasoned "brown envelope" planning.
Dublin is one of Ireland's orifices, that for years helped expels much of Ireland's unemployed populace to the world. The Ringsend sewage plant still doesn't work, so Dublin remains as always a shit hole.
Its medieval street structure, West Brit mentality, coupled to years of rampant corrupt unrestrainted development have almost extinguished any of its faded charms.
Dublin continues to suck the life blood from the rest of Ireland, when in reality what is required on all entrances to the "Capital" are the letters DNR - do not resusitate - let the roof of the Port Tunnel fall in, do not repair the LUAS, spend no more monies on widening the M50, triple the tolls on all the inwards traffic to Dublin and nothing on outward traffic.
Charge all businesses in Dublin a commuter tax or pay them and their employees to relocate beyond Dublin - bring the work to the commuter towns and villages - bring back residential rates for Dublin and the Greater Dublin, area, with the money you pay for property, you should be able to afford it.
Let the people of Ireland spend no more money on Dublin or Dublin Airport -I can get to Belfast Airport from Limerick almost as quickly as I can to Dublin Airport - and park a car in walking distance from the terminal - Dublin Airport doesn't need another terminal just a bulldozer. Spend that monies on high speed train links to Cork and Shannon airports or Knock.
To paraphrase another - the best views of Dublin are from the deck of a departing ferry, through the window of a plane going elsewhere or in your rearview mirror.

May your God go with you.

With deepest sympathy for your misfortune, and don't sink the ferry with your dinghy.

Nud1e strikes again."

However, the following Press Release from the Lonely Planet would suggest that Dublin is not alone and that much of the country is going down the tubes.
Go West would seem to be the advise or move south for the Donegal folk. :redlight

"Lonely Planet calls for a shake up of Ireland’s image

JANUARY 24, 2006

The author of Lonely Planet’s guide to Ireland, released this month, has called for a shake up of Ireland’s image. Author Fionn Davenport has criticized Ireland’s unimaginative approach to its own international reputation – which still over-relies on selling the country solely as a version of the Emerald Isle – and called for greater emphasis on Ireland’s vibrant modernity.

“Ireland has long since outgrown its forty shades of green and all of the other shamrock-laden clichés that never really did it justice,” says Davenport, “But the images still endure: inviting you and millions of others to kiss the Blarney Stone, ride a jaunting car around the Killarney lakes and eat an Irish stew. But isn’t modern Ireland all about motorways and multiculturalism, commerce and cosmopolitans? Surely we should be known as much for our cool café culture and buzzing music scene as ancient monuments and dramatic coastline.”

Dublin-born Davenport defines Ireland as contradiction. He says “we get really excited - and are rightly proud of - our economic prosperity and dynamic development but as soon as we meet a visitor we can’t wait to pour them a pint, break out the bodhrán and get the laugher going over stories, exaggerations and jokes. We needn’t be afraid of the clichés – after all a nice Guinness in a traditional pub is a great night out – but we need to realise that, like many of our European cousins, we can promote modernity and history side-by-side.”

Davenport views this contradiction as not only key to Ireland’s changing national identity but also a massive draw to potential visitors. He says, “The irony of all this is that Ireland is a destination with something for everyone - packed into this small country are the compelling contrasts of a nation building its future on the back of its past. Ireland confounds expectations but will also exceed them, for tying together all of its contradictions are the people, friendlier and warmer than any clichéd welcome could ever convey.”

The new edition doesn’t pull punches and contains the trademark honesty and opinion Lonely Planet is renowned for. Praise is lavished on Belfast for its “elegant restaurants” and “trendy boutiques”, Cork is considered to “rival Dublin in the quality, if not the quantity, of its restaurants, pubs and clubs” whilst Limerick is seen to have “lifted itself” with it streets now “buzzing”. Other destinations don’t fare as well: Bundoran is described as “one of Ireland’s tackiest holiday resorts”, Dundalk as “charmless” whilst readers are told “you won’t want to waste too much time in Navan” (see pages 2 & 3).

THE BEST

Belfast

“Belfast is buzzing. Massive investment combined with the optimism engendered by the peace process have transformed the city into a boom town, and its old bombs and bullets reputation has given way to a designer Belfast, typified by hip hotels like TENsq and Malmaison, elegant restaurants like Roscoff and Michael Deane, and the trendy boutiques that line Lisburn Rd.” (P.554)

Cork

“A university and a burgeoning arts and music scene give this once hard-nosed commercial port a cosmopolitan edge, and its upbeat renaissance won it a stint as European Capital of Culture for 2005. Cork rivals Dublin in the quality, if not the quantity, of its restaurants, pubs and clubs.” (P.205)

Limerick City

“The city has lifted itself, with some spirit, in recent times... Its central streets buzz with life and a busy shopping scene. Fine museums and galleries, and a thriving restaurant and pub-club culture, have enhanced Limerick’s already warm heart.” (P.289)

Carlow Town

“The winding streets and lanes of Carlow have the general upbeat air of a place on the cusp of greater things to come. Buildings are being renovated, trendy cafés and bars are opening up, and there is plenty of nightlife.” (P.338)

Brú na Bóinne

“One of Ireland’s genuine five-star attractions, the extensive Neolithic necropolis is one of the most extraordinary sites in Europe.” (P.523-524)

Galway City

“The romantic city of Galway has claimed many a traveller’s heart, and it isn’t difficult to understand why. Galway’s after-dark scene is enhanced by a growing number of sleek lounges and dance clubs that reflect Ireland’s increasingly cosmopolitan tastes.” (P.389)

Glenveagh National Park

“Lakes cluster like dew in the mountainous valley of Glenveagh National Park, one of the most beautiful spots in Ireland.” (P.502)

The Skellig Islands

“The Skellig Islands are spectacular in the truest meaning of the word, and a boat trip to the islands, 12km out in the Atlantic Ocean, is one of the highlights of a trip to Ireland.” (P.263)

THE WORST

Bundoran

“Long one of Ireland’s tackiest holiday resorts, a kitsch assortment of half-baked fairground rides, flashing arcades, fast-food diners and overpriced B&Bs, the town has nonetheless been riding a new wave of popularity as one of Europe’s premier surfing spots.” (P.490)

Knock

“Be warned: religion is big business here and the village is crammed with hawkers looking to cash in on the fervent, almost medieval piety of pilgrims.” (P.440)

Newcastle

“Nice setting, shame about the main street – on summer weekends it’s a garish, traffic-hoked strip of raucous amusement arcades and fast-food outlets.” (P.609)

Larne

“As a major port for ferries from Scotland, Larne is one of Northern Ireland’s main points of arrival. However, with its concrete overpasses and the huge chimneys of Ballylumford power station opposite the harbour, poor old Larne is a little lacking in the charm department.” (P.652)

Clifden

“Clifden’s central area can seem a little dragged down by tourism, and the town has a vaguely jaded feel to it.” (P.409)

Navan

“You won’t want to waste too much time in Navan, Meath’s county town. It’s a busy enough place, serving as the crossroads between the busy N3 Dublin road and the N51 between Drogheda and Westmeath, which is good for local business but bad for aesthetics.” (P.529)

Dundalk

“Tough, uncompromising Dundalk is a reminder of a bygone age, when Irish towns couldn’t care less about looking pretty for the nice tourists and just went about the hard business of eking out a living. Louth’s dour county town is a charmless place, with few historic sites and not much else to see or do.” (P.549)

Gweedore

“Its rugged coast, dotted with white, sandy beaches, was once an attraction in itself, though it has since been overrun by holiday-home mania.” (P.501)"

Jeez that took a while to do. I forgot that I even mentioned Limerick and Stab city in the one sentence. Sorry if my comment offended you :dabone and I will pay for a visit to the cardioligist to have you ecg done.

PS Where is Civil ? he would normall have a go at me as well. I met Joe the celt and he said civil is an ok guy.....

Uladh Abu !

Luke , thankfully in the recent past you have tended to leave
the Master Province alone , hence i have left you alone.

I havent gone away you Know !

the civil one said:
Luke , thankfully in the recent past you have tended to leave
the Master Province alone , hence i have left you alone.

I havent gone away you Know !

Want to copy a light bracket and lights ??? :D :D :D

In my reply to Luke Scott elsewhere in defense of his disparaging remarks re Limerick etc, etc, etc, etc

Not getting out on your bike lately Michael?

Been unwell since September

Garfieldus said:
Not getting out on your bike lately Michael?

Gary, I 've had the 80GS out and about locally on some occasions, alternating between the XT225 and the GS. Wasn't well enough to complete the Photo Rally.
Still trying to run in the XT, only 1200km since last February, and hoping to give PJ a mini-Boreen of the local roads, lanes and forestry roads that run up mountain and down dale, with a trip to Killnascully and the Silvermines hill climb included.
Getting better, fingers crossed, since I ditched some of the medication which was causing more problems that it was solving.

Have a word with DRTOD who has just acquired a 1200.

. . .O.K., Michael, no need to nudge me in the ribs!
Went Kartin' today @ Tynagh; woz being passed by old ladies. Praps I should
give it up?

Back
Top Bottom