Bloody Loose Spokes.......Again !!!!!!!!!

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After yesterday's first ride of the year,I checked the rear wheel whilst cleaning the wheel.
2 bloody loose spokes again...........after last year's broken ones,all on a 2002 bike with only 12500 miles on it.
On a mission to get a new rear wheel.Fed up with checking and tightening these crap stainless spokes.
Give me the old mild steel GS spokes back, never had any trouble,in the past. Grrrrrrrrrrr............

I got one

I had spokes snap twice in the rear wheel, after second time, got it replaced under warranty.

Make em ave it !!

CC:mad:

I've ridden on stainless for about 14K miles, at times two up with alot of camping gear, sometimes on duff roads (Pyrenees). No problems at all.

It seems to me that your wheels were built badly, or that the rim was not true in its original state.

I have over the years built alot of bicycle wheels and the principles are essentially the same. The usual reason for spoke breakages is inconsistent spoke tension when the wheel was originally built. Only very rarely is it to do with faulty spokes. Once the wheel is bedded in any uneven tension in the spokes means that during use certain spokes have more tension than others and are as a result more stressed than others, thus causing breakages. Spokes loosening is caused in a similar way. When the spokes are tensioned there can be twist in the spoke, this can unwind. During build anyspoke twist should be removed. If the spoke tensions are very uneven the spokes can simply unwind, as at points (e.g. when at the bottom of the wheel when loaded) they are loose and can simply, through vibration, unwind their threads.

It would be interesting to know whether a little man hand builds the wheels or whether it is done by a machine. Cycle wheels (from very lightweight ones to heavier off-road tandems) are better if handbuilt as machines cannot compensate for material inconsitencies, such as end of line rims that are truly round.

I suggest returning the bike and asking for a new wheelset under warrantee if is really bad.

Mick

loose spokes

to hell with them,ive ordered a set of alloys from motorworks,shhould have them fitted next weekend.

Mick138, that was an interesting lesson on wheel spokes and spoking. Tell me, if you fabricate a wheel from scratch, is it a Bespoke Wheel, like a tailor does for a suit?

I'm of the understanding that the spoked 1100/1150 wheels are manufactured or put together on a computerised CNC type machine. I believe that there are two machines and the people who man these machines, are very senior workers. Whether that's through time or ability, is another question!

The whole spoke arrangement, is a BMW Patented affair, which is why no other manufacturer has gone this route.

I'm also of the understanding that there are only about 3 - 5 shops in the world, outside of BMW, who will tackle these wheels for re-builds. Certainly there is nobody that I know of in Australia who can or will.

Mick.

If you are interested

I have whole "paper"about spoke and wheel fixing tips. send me a e-mail and I send you a copy,,or If PAUL have a plase to put it II post it here somewer,but is really long 63K I think.

you can check this tread too,be sure you are not the only one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11992&highlight=spokes

the solution about the alloy wheels,is just a whole bag of diferent compromises,but if you are going to do it,don't pay full price get them from a R1150R or a R1150 RS they will fit with out any changes.

the spoke wheel RULES,,,just the new are not very well build..but they can be fix and made very strong..

another choice
If the bike is new and you damage many wheels force BMW to give you alloys with out paying(exchange them)

SORTED

New rear wheel from BMW under warranty,being fitted next week by Rainbow BMW

Back
Top Bottom