I THINK IT'S BUST?

graham h

Reaction score
HELP! Can any of you advice i've just been out for a 120 mile spin and for the first time ever i've noticed engine oil being forced out of the filler cap, now last night i added a drop of oil but not over filled it cleaned the O ring seal and put it back after the ride the oil had leaked all down the cylinder head and around the spark plug cover now the main question is as i open the oil filler plug when its on tick over how much pressure should there be? or could there be a gasket gone any advice please!:confused:

Grahame
Just make sure everythings seated properly ie the inner seal is
located in it's little hole ;)

G

Hi Graham,

Don't take the oil fill plug out with the engine running. The boxer engine has both pistons moving in/out at the same time so the crankcase volume changes by 1100/1150cc each stoke. To anyone not expecting it, it's like you've blown a cylinder head gasket. A good friend who is very mechanically experienced complained that he had blown his C/H gasket until I pointed the above out to him. The danger is that you reduce the oil pressure and cause serious damage.

The oil fill plug is prone to leaking but is easy & cheap to fix. Just replace the O ring on the plug itself or, if the leak is around the socket in the rocker cover, prise it out and reinsert with a smear of sealant around its seat.

Graham,

DO NOT smear any knid of sealant into the area of the filler.

Sorry to disagree with Paul. But call up Motorworks and get a new "o" ring for the cap itself, and ask for an "o" ring for the plastic cap housing, which sits in the ricjer cover, that as Paul said is removable.

They will know exactly what you're after.

It'll probably cost you more in postage, but you'll have your answer quick enough.

I wouldn't put sealant there as it can contaminate the oil and fragments get stuck in the oil strainer, thus affecting pressure, which could be terminal.

Make the call

Jamie

Jamie said:

I wouldn't put sealant there as it can contaminate the oil and fragments get stuck in the oil strainer, thus affecting pressure, which could be terminal.

Got to disagree with you here, Jamie.

Gasket sealant applied to the seat in the rocker cover is easy to do and easy to clear any excess as you can get at the inside by removing the rocker cover from the engine. I've replaced my l/h rocker cover twice and moved the fill plug and seat each time. It's never leaked and there is no mess left to get into the oil. Once cured, reinstall and ride away.

silicone sealant: known in the trade as blue/black/red death (delete as appropriate).

only necessary as a bodge IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom