Hello from truck, tortillas and tequila

MrR1150GS

I just found this site from the Micapeak e-mail list.

It is great to hear opinions from around the world. I regularly converse with your countrymen on the AF1 Aprilia Forum about those silly Italian street bikes.
I also own a Futura.

I live in Texas. No I don't have any horses or oil wells.
I do work for an oil company though.

I have a 2001 R1150GS. The good looking yellow one. I have ridden as far as Seattle and back, roughly 6000 miles round trip. I try to take at least one long trip a year.

I am planning on riding to Alaska this summer. With any luck, I will get laid off from work and have the whole month of July for the trip.

I have a down payment on a 2006 GS Adventure. But, getting laid off or sacked from work could make it hard to go through with that purchase. I am not planning on purchasing it until after the Alaska trip. I have my GS set up the way I like and don't want to take a new bike to Alaska. I will have to give up my 1st place in the queue for the ADV at the Austin Texas dealer.

I will probably have to sell my Futura and my GS to afford it.

I look forward to hearing from you. Also, I hope to get over there to ride one day. I will definitely ask here for advice when I do.

Cheers,

Chris
TAMU '81
IBA 23263
BMOA 44544

Welcome to the board Chris. Where in Texas do you live? A good friend of mine who lives in the UK is from San Antone, he is forever giving me Texas stickers, flags and neckerchiefs.....Don't Mess with Texas I believe is a popular phrase in your neck of the woods.

I bet the Seattle trip was fantastic....6000 miles! you'd have to ride end to end three times in the UK to achieve that distance.

By the way be prepared to be called a Tosser while you are here, don't worry everybody gets called that, if you don't understand what a Tosser is then look in your dictionary of British vernacular under :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:!! :D In this parish we're all a bunch of Tossers!!!!!!!

MrR1150GS said:
I live in Texas. No I don't have any horses or oil wells.
Chris

Bet you`ve got a ten gallon hat and wear cowboy boots though :D :D :D

Welcome,anyway,Chris.......... :thumb

Lord Snooty said:
Welcome to the board Chris. Where in Texas do you live? A good friend of mine who lives in the UK is from San Antone, he is forever giving me Texas stickers, flags and neckerchiefs.....Don't Mess with Texas I believe is a popular phrase in your neck of the woods.

I bet the Seattle trip was fantastic....6000 miles! you'd have to ride end to end three times in the UK to achieve that distance.

By the way be prepared to be called a Tosser while you are here, don't worry everybody gets called that, if you don't understand what a Tosser is then look in your dictionary of British vernacular under :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:!! :D In this parish we're all a bunch of Tossers!!!!!!!

Thank you for the welcome.

I reside about 40 miles west of Houston. Or as my inner city friends like to say, East San Antonio.

The "Don't Mess with Texas" slogan came from a state sponsored campaign to try to get Texans to quit being such slobs and not throw garbage out on the highways. Over the years, there have been many interesting commercials done by famous Texans such as Stevie Ray Vaughn and Nolan Ryan telling people not to mess with Texas.

Don't know that it helps any.

As for being called a Tosser or Tossa, I can live with that. I have been called worse. Sometimes multiple times a day. Most people usually just refer to me as A$$hole.
I have pretty thick skin.

The trip to Seattle was pretty fun. With the exception of being rushed to get there. I talked my wife into flying up there and letting me ride there to meet for our vacation. I gave myself 3.5 days to ride the 2500 mile route I took on the way there. I could just see the abuse I would have to endure if she got there and I was not there yet.

I made it there in 2.5 days and had time to visit a friend before renting a car and picking her up. My trip home was more leisurely. I took 4 days and took the long route. It was great riding through Montana where they will not pull you over for speeding unless you are doing something dangerous. Some people say just riding a motorcycle is dangerous.

Problem was though, I did not slow down until I got to Texas. I decided that getting a ticket for riding 100 mph was not a good thing.

Cheerios,

Chris
TAMU '81
IBA 23263
BMOA 44544

tarka said:
Bet you`ve got a ten gallon hat and wear cowboy boots though

You got me there. I do have a big head. My hat is more likely to be about 10.5 imperial gallons.

I also am guilty of wearing "manly footwear"(cowboy boots). Usually plain low healed work type not the fancy exotic skin ones.

Although, there is a company in England that makes some interesting motorcycle boots. I almost ordered some, but was afraid of having to ship them back if they did not fit. Thinking that could make for an expensive pair of boots.
Here is a picture.

ClubmanClassic.jpg

Post Toasties,

Chris
TAMU '81
IBA 23263
BMOA 44544

MrR1150GS said:
I have a 2001 R1150GS. The good looking yellow one.

Must have different colours to ours in the US - the yellow ones here look terrible. I suppose it must look good, otherwise you'd have gone for the faster blue model.

Welcome anyway!

Robin.

spheniscidine said:
Must have different colours to ours in the US - the yellow ones here look terrible. I suppose it must look good, otherwise you'd have gone for the faster blue model.

It is actually the Mandarin colored one. I am partial to yellow, it took me a little while to convince myself this one is yellow. Not near as pretty as my Y2k Honda VFR 800 I had. Now that was yellow.

As to whether or not it is fast, you can ask the Texas Department of Public Safety. They will tell you it is way too fast when they look up my driving record.

Thanks for the welcome

Back
Top Bottom