Best lid for a GS ?

pint6x

So what's the best lid for riding a GS ?

What's quiet, what's loud ?

What cuts out buffetting, what increases buffetting ?

I'd be interested to hear various opinions.

Cheers

6X

Don't know what the best lid is, but so far I've not noticed a difference in turbulance/wind noise between the GS and my Triumph when using a Shoei TXR.

I guess whatever is quiet on one bike will also be quiet on a GS, not that the TXR is particularly quiet - it's just not worse either.

6X, try a ROOF Diversion / Daytona.

Absoluetly superb - quiet, comfortable and 'different' - ideal on a GS. There is a 25% tint in the standard visor. The colours are way cool also.

I was wearing my ROOF when I crashed this week. The lid protected my head totally, during a 40mph slide down the road. Can't ask more than that really.

They cost about £250 I think.

Retro

I tried one of those ROOF Boxers - with the flip up front which can be secured at the back - problem was my chin was pressed tight against the chin piece - bleedin' useless.

Dunno if the closed full-face ROOF's are the same, so will try.

6X

6X

Yes I tried a flip font one too, it was crap, jammed against my chin. The fixed one was perfect tho. Give it a whirl.

Retro

pint,

the new BMW helmet (Sportintegral?) is meant to be very quiet. They also look pretty cool - there's another thread discussing this here . My dealer says it's as quiet as anything he's worn on a bike, it's also made by Schuberth, so build quality should be excellent. It does have a very snug fit, though, so if you have a large head (like me) it's probably not a player....

MikeO:)

Funny shaped heads.....

The only lids I seem to be able to wear comfortably are Arai, something to do with my narrow head or sometime.....

But love the current RX7RR I have just picked up from Rossi, really does seem they are going bust as £450 lid as reduced to £199, last years colours though (not sure how this has any effect on a plain grey one though....?).

Not a very quiet lid but I don't have a problem, the vents are great at keeping the visor clear, not steamed up for one second, and in the summer a very cool head so no headaches :)

Visor is great and does not open when you do a lifesaver look at 95 on the motorways and a very aerodynamic shape as it was designed for 180mph sports bike nutters so reduces buffeting considerably.

Just my thoughts though as I can't get comfy in any other lid :(

The Roof Diversion is an excellent helmet but there are 2 minor points to bare in mind

1. It affects my peripheral vision slightly

2. The out skin is vey prone to chipping fronm really minor knocks

I like mine but my missus hated hers and gave it away so it just goes to show you have to suck it and see.

Roger

How do you like this one. Bought it in france. The frog polis were them. Visor is very black and slides up into helmet. Cool as f***. Its a pity I look even more stupid than I normally do with it opened up.

Attachments

• helmet-1.jpg
    helmet-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,214
I can only post one pic at a time, how do you send them all at once

Attachments

• helmet (1)-1.jpg
    helmet (1)-1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,226
Dennis

Looks very cool - are they sold in this country ? I wonder if they'd get the right approval with that front opening mechanism.

What are they like to use ? can you get clear visors for them ? Who makes them ? are they generally available in France ?

What did you pay in France for it ? I will be driving thru France in about 3 weeks time.....

Cheers

6X

Agree with LondonW1

Fantastic helmet - amazingly comfortable, cool in summer and no buffeting. Bloody noisy (all those vents), but fine if you wear earplugs (and you should!). Great job - even at the £400 I had to pay. If you can get one at £199 - buy it now!

Helmet is a GPA, around 130 squids, very light, clear visors available , probably not approved in rule bound britain. but if they are ok for the polis they must be safe. Bought in Cannes. And no, I havnt got a son called Luke . he is actually called Shouldhavebeencaughtinthecondom Thomson. Does anyone want to buy a Triumph.

Attachments

• me on triumph2-1.jpg
    me on triumph2-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,128
I suppose my ideal lid would have the following features:

1) Quiet
2) Flip front capability
3) Ability to attach a peak
4) Visor

Does such a beast exist ?

lids

Pity you are stuck in flip front mode b4 you buy try the Arai TourX in my humble opinion the MUTTS NUTTS for Style comfort Quietness And especially light,Just the ticket style wise for a Gs and luckily for me available in Blue and white like my baby
Cheers Wes:beerjug:

Re: lids

wes mcc said:
Pity you are stuck in flip front mode b4 you buy try the Arai TourX in my humble opinion the MUTTS NUTTS for Style comfort Quietness And especially light,Just the ticket style wise for a Gs and luckily for me available in Blue and white like my baby
Cheers Wes:beerjug:

Believe me, I'm thinking about it, and the feeling's growing stronger.....currently considering one of these or a Schubarth concept.

6X

Dennis,

Be careful wearing that helmet in this country as it's technically illegal as it isn't approved for use here and if the old bil wanted to they could prosecute. It's also illegal to use most flip fronts in an open position (oo er missus) as they haven't been type approved for open face use (Roof Boxer excepted but they're crap anyway).

If you fancy a flip front 6x try an X-Lite. I'll show you mine tomorrow (then I'll show you my helmet, err this is getting a little out of hand ...... doh!) :D

Cheers

Dick (bloody unfortunate name sometimes)

I know there are mixed views on the schuberth concept but I wanted a flip front and liked the sun visor so bought one last week. Noise! its the noisiest lid I have ever used, or certainly in the past 10 years. Fortunately it has a dodgy release mechanism and the shop are to take it back and give refund.

My Quantum F is much quieter

Back
Top Bottom