What type earplugs ????

rickyxsara

Reaction score
I would be interested to hear from you guys and girls what are the most effective earplugs on the market. I know you can get custom made ones but I do not think it is possible in Northern Ireland, therefore I await your recommendations on over the counter jobbies. Also advice wanted on where they can be purchased. Thanks in advance, Ricky

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before.effective :moped:

Ricky, try at a 'safety equipment shop' first , get an assortment of differant ones and see which fits your ear best. I'm intent on getting some custom ones done over here soon, but the thought of £40 or £50 on two tiny bits of plastic............. funny cos i'll think nothing of £400 for a few welded bits of titanium to replace a perfectly good exhaust system.
The plugs i use are like mushrooms with a stick to push them in/pull them out, don't know who makes them but got 'em from a seller of chainsaws etc etc.
Happy hunting

The best I have come across is the product "Ear Express" as supplied by Vixen Communications
They last for ages, the least I've got out a pair is a month, and wash easliy. Insertion is easy, there is no need to squash them down, and they are as quiet as any I've used.

Regards
Andy80F

Ricky, one of the custom-made outfits will be at the NI Game Fair in Ballywalter at the end of June, think it might be Green Leopard. They will take moulds on the spot and send you the earplugs later

Following on for two of the recommendations Sound Distribution do a 'Pick n Mix' for £4.50 which is 3 pairs of each of the four types of plugs they do. It really will depend on YOUR ears which work best so this is your best route I feel.

Until someone does custom ones in your area ;)

Thanks lads for your prompt replies. I have ordered the £4.50 bundle from sound distribution and I will see how I get on. If the guys who do the moulded ones are coming over I may give them a try. Once again thanks, Ricky.:thumb

I use the 3M 1225 model with the long insertion part trimmed down to fit under a helmet, its a silicon plug with three flanges. Easy to insert and remove, doesn't require rolling up with a dirty hand in order to insert, very effective and I can clean/sterilise them after each ride using boiling water. They never seem to wear out or tear, but I replace them every three months anyway.

The same earplugs are sold under other brand names as well as 3M. Sorry can't find any links to pictures of them.

I use ELACIN custom made jobbies.

I got them made at a Hearing Aid Centre in Cabmbridge, but as Elacin make hearing aids as well, I don't see why you can't get them made anywhere.

Expensive (about £70) but worth every penny.

I use some cheap yellow ones that come on a roll (!) and supplied by a mate that works in a noisy environment. They are tapered unlike the EAR ones that come in small packs (Ford use those in Daggers).

I expect MARS buy them by the million, but they are better than the green or orange MAX's.

Try a builders merchants like Jewson and they need to sell this stuff if they are hiring out chainsaws and the like.

I've used custom made earplugs for years. You can get a local hearing aid shop to take some molds and send them off to various places. I've had one set of earplugs for over 5 years I've used for gigging and on the bike and just had another set made up specifically for the bike. About £70 but in my view money well spent.

Try http://www.hearing-protection.co.uk/indhear1.html

Cheers

Dick

So far out of the pck n mix bundle I have found the max lite (green ones) to be really good. I found them very comfy and a lot more protective from the wind noise than the orange max ones. Ricky.:thumb

Just a point about wind noise and foam earplugs.

Foam earplugs are simply about cutting down noise levels with little regard for the frequencies affected. What this can do , if your earplugs are really efficient, is cut out so much noise that you're left in a kind of soundless cocoon with little awareness of what's actually happening around you which creates a somewhat unreal experience and subsequent loss of concentration.

That at least was my experience when using foam earplugs and one of the reasons I switched to custom made ones that are designed to filter out wind noise type frequencies whilst leaving you aware of other road noises.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom