PDA

View Full Version : Finish quality of HP2

Bigtwin
17-02-06, 22:06
Went and eyeballed one of these at the dealers today - first time I've seen one in the flesh.

Was quite shocked at the poor build quality. Nothing major, just poor cosmetics - tatty zip ties every where, shrinkwrap not actually up to the connectors on the electrics, exposed wiring everywhere, stuff like that - all looked a bit home made frankly.

Is this usual, or just a quirky demonstrator?

Dahoum
17-02-06, 22:07
Its the one Jeremy had for a test ride :D

STUBBS
18-02-06, 18:51
looked over one at vines a couple of weeks ago wasnt impressed at all seemed to have been rushed in the build department

Jeremy
18-02-06, 19:09
Yes I agree. The finish seems less than optimal and when I asked Vines about this they said the demo gets pretty roughly treated without getting the care and attention to keep it spick and span. I spray of ACF50 at delivery should do the trick, followed by frequent ford crossings to clean it.

All I will say is ride it. I would strongly advise anyone who has the chance. It's simply awesome. I'm currently going through the "Blue Sweeper" syndrome ie I don't really need one.

By the way, when its covered in mud, you can't see the ties and it looks the D's B's.

Jeremy

Le singe
18-02-06, 19:58
I saw my first one a month or so ago, I thought it looked a bit 'Reader's Special' ish.
Still, what do you expect for 10K?

Nick Marshall
18-02-06, 20:06
add another 2000 to that. :D nick

Le singe
18-02-06, 21:44
Guess you were talking about the HP2 Status model :D

Bigtwin
19-02-06, 01:22
Yup - it was the one at Vines. Quite facied one actually, but as you rightly say, for that money, they must be having a giraffe.

Oh dear oh dear - all very well having a china cup flat screen customer lounge and all that, but if the actual rolling stock is that disappointing for the dosh and they can't see it, you really have to wonder.

JAY
19-02-06, 11:12
Yup - it was the one at Vines. Quite facied one actually, but as you rightly say, for that money, they must be having a giraffe.

Oh dear oh dear - all very well having a china cup flat screen customer lounge and all that, but if the actual rolling stock is that disappointing for the dosh and they can't see it, you really have to wonder.

The thing is, they can see it and as far as they are concerned it doesn't matter - they can sell them anyway!

Le singe
19-02-06, 12:24
Does that mean the punters have more money than sense, or punters today are willing to accept lower standards, maybe because the bike is just 'today's toy' ?

Schwarz Baron
19-02-06, 20:41
Guys, I think you're setting extremely high standards, verging on unachieveable. Over the past few weeks I have been dredging local bike shops, helping my old dad look for a cheap but good quality mid range motorcycle. Inevitably, you're mind wanders to the newer stuff, when standing in the showroom. I can appreciate these machines are half the price of the BMW, but I'll not mention any particular makes, but I have to say, most if not all, are far from the quality that I always have seen or desired and expected of BMW. The only make I'm prepared to give mention too is Honda, high quality finish, build, etc, but at the end of they day, they as a bike new, aren't too far behind BMW when it comes to pricing, when speaking of similar engine capacities. :thumb

Bigtwin
19-02-06, 22:19
Guys, I think you're setting extremely high standards, verging on unachieveable. Over the past few weeks I have been dredging local bike shops, helping my old dad look for a cheap but good quality mid range motorcycle. Inevitably, you're mind wanders to the newer stuff, when standing in the showroom. I can appreciate these machines are half the price of the BMW, but I'll not mention any particular makes, but I have to say, most if not all, are far from the quality that I always have seen or desired and expected of BMW. The only make I'm prepared to give mention too is Honda, high quality finish, build, etc, but at the end of they day, they as a bike new, aren't too far behind BMW when it comes to pricing, when speaking of similar engine capacities. :thumb

I take the point, and it was really Honda I was thinking about - the HP is no where near as well finished as both my Africa Twins were, let alone the VFR - and they are (were at least) a hellava lot less dosh.

Thing is, it's just small stuff - wires etc - more quality control looking than design problems IMHO.