One Day in Orlando - what do you suggest?

Bateman

Reaction score
I have a business trip to Orlando for 4 days in early May, staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. I get the 1st day to myself, which is a Sunday. I have never been before and given that there seems to be so much to do, and only 1 day to do it in, what would you recommend? I'll be on my own - no kids, no wife, no car (unless I hire one for a day).

Bateman said:
I have a business trip to Orlando for 4 days in early May, staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. I get the 1st day to myself, which is a Sunday. I have never been before and given that there seems to be so much to do, and only 1 day to do it in, what would you recommend? I'll be on my own - no kids, no wife, no car (unless I hire one for a day).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything at Orlando is designed to raise the pulse rate of jaded flabby Americans. And it does. My son, both jaded ad flabby (but not American) showed the first flicker of life after a few days being dropped off precipices there..roller coasters etc.. I lost my Ray bans and my lunch.

Old father chicken, once a roller coaster nut...just sat it out and got bored.

My vote goes to Universal studios if you like the kind of thing. Wet and wild if you really like rushing water mixed with vomit. (only joking, they sieve out the bits)

But for grown up kicks, Kennedy Space center lit my imagination big time..even if it is a bus ride out there.

Ben :thumb

I was in the position of only having one day in Orlando in 1979 :eek:

I used my time to experience the true culture of America and went to Disney World :thumb

Only a couple of things stick in my brain about the Orlando area,

Kennedy Space Centre was brilliant, real boys stuff though, and as a crazy golf fan, I found the 3 story gallion course (near Kissamee I think), one of the most over the top i've ever seen :D (Whilst there I was asked to play through :rolleyes: by the couple, turns out he was a shopkeer from Basingstoke as well, small world eh!)

I also enjoyed the Seaworld park at least I think thats what is was called. :thumb

Shep

If you like aeroplanes, this place is well worth a visit. It's very friendly and accesable, and the guided tours around the restoration workshops are a real eye opener. It's not far from Orlando, but you do need a car.

HTH

David

Ben said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My vote goes to Universal studios if you like the kind of thing. Ben :thumb

If you are a big kid [like me] my vote goes here as well! :D

I had a few days by myself in Florida a little while back. I'd been before on a family holiday so knew my way around quite well.

Things I enjoyed without having to worry if my lad would be bored:

Kennedy Space Center - a great place for someone who was in primary school in the 60s. Getting close to a Saturn V was great. Takes about an hour to drive there from your hotel or just go on one of the coach trips.

Rollercoasters: I love them. Best ones are in Universal's Islands of Adventures park.

Seaworld: I enjoyed going there solo too. You can spend time looking at stuff that kids would get bored with very quickly. It has a very good rolercoaster in Kracken too.

Universal :thumb

57043063-M.jpg

one day mmm

I would go deffo do Universal Island of Adventures until about 4pm then get a shower and some grub a huge steak perhaps!!.Then I would do the world showcase at the Epcot Centre in the evening,it would be a long day and quite expensive day,but hey who cares your on your own,no one else to think about :thumb.

Go do as much of the above as possible, and then you'll get the real feel of the place....SUPERFICIAL!, I couldn't stand the place, but wouldn't deny anyone the chance to experience it for themselves. But then again I had a bike waiting to take me North to the Great Smokie mountains, and couldn't wait to leave... :cool:

I would agree with many - if its just one day then Universal Studios Islands of Adventure - and ride the Hulk and both of the Duelling dragons as many times as youcan. The spiderman ride is pretty cool too. Then go to Tiffany's in the Millenium mall nearby and buy something sparkly to take home!

I live 25 miles north of O-Town ...

Seaworld is my favourite place to spend a day in town. The displays are terrific. If you're more into "entertainment", then Universal is for you. Nice day spent. Nightlife is sorted at Pleasure Island, or City Walk.

If you hire a car, go to Busch Gardens, Tampa, then off to Ybor City for a little nightlife.

On the other hand, if you'd like to see the REAL Florida, hire a bike, and I'll lead you down some brilliant roads ....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom