Are they selling in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelius

Reaction score
I've just been down to my BMW dealership and noticed the HP2 they've had gathering dust in the showroom for months. Its now in a corner of the room, where its not likely to attract much attention. The sales manager candidly told me that they haven't had even one interested buyer inquire about it. Apparently the first shipment sold quickly, but US dealerships are having a very difficult time unloading the new ones. How are HP2 sales looking in the UK?

I was away on a business trip to Joburg last 2 weeks, popped into the dealer there and there were 5 on display. Ideal place to have one and there was still overstock.

I think buyers are seeing it as too much for too little. It is nice, but should not be sold at a premium.Buyers are keeping their wallets in their pockets.If it was mkore sensibly priced,they'd sell loads as it is a great bike.Currently it's simply too dear. :nono

Marcus Shurvinton said:
I think buyers are seeing it as too much for too little. It is nice, but should not be sold at a premium.Buyers are keeping their wallets in their pockets.If it was mkore sensibly priced,they'd sell loads as it is a great bike.Currently it's simply too dear. :nono

:nod As the sales manager opined, "There just aren't many people willing to pay $20,000 for a dirtbike."

KTM's own version of the HP2 costs $5000 less, which isn't going to help HP2 sales.

Maybe if the dealers were a bit more Generous with there p/x prices
they may have sold a few more.

Lets face it the HP2 isn't included on the dealers allocation quoter,
so it's a chance to make a few extra quid,
or am i missing something :confused:

Ride it. I'm still trying to remove the manic grin from my face. :eek

It may be good, but in the UK, or nearly all of it at least, it's a toy, and a bloody expensive one.

If we had more places to ride it, then probably it would be different.

Bigtwin said:
It may be good, but in the UK, or nearly all of it at least, it's a toy, and a bloody expensive one.

If we had more places to ride it, then probably it would be different.

I do agree that it's not cheap & I do agree we don't have the outdoors like Australia, NZ or Baja on our door steps. BUT between Salisbury Plaines, BOATs, UKGSer events such as the Hogroast, Wombat Trail, & 299 threads on the Off Road section, I could find plenty of places to ride it. You have to play with the cards we're dealt. At least that's what I'm telling the wife.

PS I think you get offered a job with World of BMW if you buy one. ;)

Jeremy said:
I do agree that it's not cheap & I do agree we don't have the outdoors like Australia, NZ or Baja on our door steps. BUT between Salisbury Plaines, BOATs, UKGSer events such as the Hogroast, Wombat Trail, & 299 threads on the Off Road section, I could find plenty of places to ride it. You have to play with the cards we're dealt. At least that's what I'm telling the wife.

PS I think you get offered a job with World of BMW if you buy one. ;)

True - but you can do all that on a bike that costs 1/5 of the price. And I think that's the problem - you have to ride a long way to get to these places if your most people - and that's not great on an HP, especially with our climbate.

If I lived in the Med - HP and 2 sets of wheels would be an all-rounder. Here, it would have to be an HP, and a car and trailer.

When info on the HP2 was originally released I'm sure at that time BMW said that it was a limited production based on orders only. Strange that there should be a surplus of unsold bikes therefore!

JAY said:
When info on the HP2 was originally released I'm sure at that time BMW said that it was a limited production based on orders only. Strange that there should be a surplus of unsold bikes therefore!

reduce the surplus by 1 :thumb

CW's, Dorchester have sold 2 so far though 1 was smashed to pieces early on.
I've also heard that another was totalled on a test ride just a few days ago.
All this carnage is good for the exclusivity!

Biding Our Time

I would buy one and ride it on dirt and I know loads of other people who would. The issue isn't a lack of doable dirt in the UK. There are 2 problems for me (and others I have spoken too):

- the price, compared to other bikes, esp the 1200GS. It's taking the piddle to price the HP2 so high compared to the 1200GS that has lots more equipment.

- the technology on the HP2 is unproven - specifically the shaft, rear drive and airshock have been a problem on early bikes.

Once the technology is proven and the price comes down to reasonable, then there is a load of demand there. But for people like me who want a reliable bike at a reasonble price, the jury is out at the moment.

BTW - I wouldn't buy a 1200GS, but I can't wait to get a HP2, one day.

Simon

Rumour has it they are only suited to the very long of leg and deep of wallet.

What is the actual price in the UK?

shugie said:
Rumour has it they are only suited to the very long of leg and deep of wallet.

What is the actual price in the UK?

list is £12,000 but there's always a deal to be done :D , they included the HP tank bag, HP tail pack and a HP off-road training package at the Welsh facility with Simon Pavey on one of their bikes. World of BMW are also hopefully planning some HP focused trips to Europe.

Did I mention the stabilisers?

Yes it is a fearsome amount of money but its better to burn out than to fade away.

sorebums said:
I would buy one and ride it on dirt and I know loads of other people who would. The issue isn't a lack of doable dirt in the UK.

Simon

Depends on

a) Where you live; and
b) Yet - looks like the useable area is going to shrink a lot, if the current plans happen.

You hit the nail on the head with price, combined with the above - who is gonna spend all that to ride the same familiar routes near where they live? A few "fat-wallets", but not very many I suspect, especially given that there are a lot of very good off-roaders for a fraction of that eye-watering, piss-taking, having-a-griaffe price tag.

Bigtwin said:
who is gonna spend all that to ride the same familiar routes near where they live? A few "fat-wallets", but not very many I suspect, especially given that there are a lot of very good off-roaders for a fraction of that eye-watering, piss-taking, having-a-griaffe price tag.

who are you calling fat?
XL_Biker.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom