Datatag

andrew taylor

After hearing about a couple of bike thefts on the BB recently, I was just wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with Datatag?
I've already had mine done, does anyone think it's a waste of money or a good idea?
:confused:

...I think a good idea! Anything that makes a bike easier to trace, more visibly secured by tagging and harder to sell on or break and sell its main parts has got to be of benefit. Always used them and though they wont stop someone nicking it for a joyride they will make it easier to ID if found.
There are various types on the market now - all with the same purpose.
Haven't Datatag sold out and been renamed???

I've used Datatag on 4 bikes.

My bikes have never been stolen.

Conclusive? I don't know. Whenever the police see my bike parked up they comment on the sensible choice of Datatag. It's also reassuring to see them going round with scanners at shows like the BMF.

I don't think that Datatag has been sold - it's still a part of Yamaha so far as I am aware.

I also have used Datatag on several bikes - none of which have been stolen. As a theft deterrent they are better than nothing. However, I also get a discount on my insurance so they pay for themselves!

:)

Greg

Ive used Datatag on all my bikes since 94.So far so good.The way I see it is if I park next to an untagged bike then the chances are the untagged bike will go but I suppose it all depends on what bike the scumbags are looking for and wot locks you have/dont have.

I had datatag on my Africa Twin, which was also the only bike that I've had nicked.
The bike was however traced back to me over a year later as it was sitting in some drug dealers shed when he got busted. All of the engine/ frame numbers had been removed, and it was the datatag embedded in the seat foam that enabled them to trace it back.

Thinking of Datatag myself, had it on my TDM, but where do you put the chips on spoked wheels like the GS?

On the TDM the araldited inside a wheel spoke on the cast wheels?

Hythe GS said:
Thinking of Datatag myself, had it on my TDM, but where do you put the chips on spoked wheels like the GS?

On the TDM the araldited inside a wheel spoke on the cast wheels?

Araldited in the recesses in the hub.

I stuck them inside on the wheel rim when I changed the tyres.;)

cecilthecat said:
I had datatag on my Africa Twin, which was also the only bike that I've had nicked.
The bike was however traced back to me over a year later as it was sitting in some drug dealers shed when he got busted. All of the engine/ frame numbers had been removed, and it was the datatag embedded in the seat foam that enabled them to trace it back.

Did you want it back after it was sitting in his shed for a year ?

Back
Top Bottom