Good Route needed for Spanish Trip

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm heading off to spain in a few weeks, Vall de Bianya in Catalonia, and intend to make the most of the Pyrennes. Does any body know of a decent (scenic) route through? ideally passing through Andorra.

Thanks

Rob

You want the best route? Just follow me. I leave on the 6th April.

It would help if you told us which ferry route you are taking.

There is only one road through Andorra. Unless you're "off road".

Routes on the French side should include :- Col d'Aubisque, Col de Tourmalet, Col de Peyresourde, Col de Portet d'Aspet, Col de Port. These are used by the Tour de France.
On the Spanish side ; find the N260 & N240. Particularly the bit from Adrall to Sort just SW of Andorra. IMHO it's the best bit of scratching in Europe.

Apart from them just explore. It's all scenic.

Have fun. I know I will.

Howard Millichap said:
You want the best route? Just follow me. I leave on the 6th April.
Have fun. I know I will.

Hmmm, perhaps I am just being lazy but I get to Bilboa on the 7th and then a couple of days down to Almeria where I meet up with my Boxercup to play on the track there.

My only plan going down is Toledo. Hope to plan more when I play on the track. But will have to take my PC with me for route planning.....

I intend to have fun!!

Echoing earlier replies, all the road on the Spanish Pyrenees are great riding territory. Col du Tourmalet may well be the greatest piece of road in the world, but when I was there last year, low cloud had the visibility down to 30 yds and resulted in the most terrifying hour of riding I've ever done.

For a damn good stretch of 90+ sweepers to contrast with the twisties, aim for the road from Lerida/Lleida to the med coast - simply outstanding. Of for fast, twisty empty mountian passes, aim for the mountains inland from Valencia. Don't know the name of the mountains, but the Puerto de Villaroya (5,100 ft) is a classic. Whole are is a little isolated, though.

You'd have to try very hard to not enjoy it!

Robin.

I'd try the N152 from Puigcerda to Ripoll as both sides should now be nicely covered in new tarmac. Also the C153 that leads into the c26 from Olot towards St Joan Abadesses is good and fast, The 153a that goes through Sant Salvador de Biayna is a real twisty delight. A bit further afield the C26 that goes through Solsona and Cardona is your typical Spanish racetrack with loads of fast flowing bends. Enjoy.

The reason I'm aware is that I went on holiday last year and stayed near Sant Pere Despuig. Didn't see many bikes apart from on the N152. Have fun, all I got to play in was a Kangoo.

Back
Top Bottom