Alps 2006

Dellis

Reaction score
Any of you Alpine experts care to take a look at my route and let me know what you think.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Alps 01.zip
    86.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Alps 02.zip
    78.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Alps 03.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Alps 04.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 55
Nice tour. May I suggest to include LIVIGNO instead of Tirano Bormio in your tour? I'm talking about SW of Stelvio Pass.
Livigno is a particular place where you can buy electronic devices for low prices (parfumes and tobaccos too) and is in a very nice valley.

The route down to Sondrio or from Sondrio to Bormio is not so interesting and is full of traffic.

I suggest, when you are at Ospizio Bernina to turn left to Livigno and choose Livigno or Bormio as the place where to sleep instead of Sondrio.
Huey

Huey,

Thanks for the tips. I've made some alterations and have attached them if you care to take a look.

Dave

Attachments

• Alps 01.zip
    70.9 KB · Views: 75
Perfect !

Sarentino Valley, north of Bolzano is fantastic. An out track ski paradise.

From Merano to Bolzano I'm not so sure of your choise because I'm afraid that route is simply a country route connecting different farms, nothing particular but I'm going to ask about it on an Italian Forum and let you know.
Consider that the route you planned between Merano and Bolzano will take a long time while it will take you only 15 minutes along the valley route so to have some spare time to visit Merano or Bolzano or, better, exploring the real Dolomiti's Heart East of Bolzano.

huey

John Armstrong said:
What's your opinions of the Stelvio going from east to west?

For some strange reason, that is the only way I've ever taken it. I'll have to try it west to east one day.

John Armstrong said:
Huey,

Slight thread hijack, what's your opinions of the Stelvio going from east to west?

Stelvio is so particular that it should be ridden twice. From east and from west.
I think that the climb from east is more spectacular. A hard step, reserved for low gear experts :thumb . From the top down to Bormio on the west side the panorama opens gradually though the turns are always fantastic.

If you climb from west (Bormio) when you will arrive at the top you will face a.....a jump. A strange sensation where thinking to stop in order to take a picture could appare as a crazy tought.

If I had time.......I'll do it twice :clap

...sorry for my english, I hope the message is clear.. :bow

John Armstrong said:
What's your opinions of the Stelvio going from east to west?

I also forgot to mention, should one side be closed due to maintenance, there is an "out".

Just west of the pass top, there is a T intersection taking you north over the Umbrail Pass to Sta. Maria i. Münstertal in Switzerland. From there, turn left to get to the Ofenpass or right to get into Italy.

Note that there are a couple of kilometers of gravel road on that section, but it does give you the option of another route.

Huey said:
Livigno is a particular place where you can buy electronic devices for low prices (parfumes and tobaccos too) and is in a very nice valley.

And best of all, gas was about half the price. I made Livigno my home base twice.

Huey said:
The route down to Sondrio or from Sondrio to Bormio is not so interesting and is full of traffic.

I haven't been able to view the maps, but I'm assuming he is coming from the Como area, possibly over the Splügen Pass. If that is the case, I'd turn at Chiavenna and take the Maloja Pass to St. Moritz and take either the road to the Bernina Pass or the Ofenpass and tunnel to Livigno.

So many possibilities, so many great roads. Very soon...again.

From Merano to Bolzano I'm not so sure of your choise because I'm afraid that route is simply a country route connecting different farms, nothing particular but I'm going to ask about it on an Italian Forum and let you know

Having had a look I agree and have made the changes.

Thanks
Dave

Huey said:
Stelvio is so particular that it should be ridden twice. From east and from west.
I think that the climb from east is more spectacular. A hard step, reserved for low gear experts :thumb . From the top down to Bormio on the west side the panorama opens gradually though the turns are always fantastic.

If you climb from west (Bormio) when you will arrive at the top you will face a.....a jump. A strange sensation where thinking to stop in order to take a picture could appare as a crazy tought.

If I had time.......I'll do it twice :clap

...sorry for my english, I hope the message is clear.. :bow

Thanks, to help the original poster, have you had a look here: http://www.uem-online.com/oms1.html then "tourism" and then "regions with UEM - motorcycling maps" for some ideas?

From the site suggested by Armstrong, this should be the best way from Merano to Bolzano and.....I agree. :thumb

I've amended my route to reflect your recommendations.

Many thanks to the three of you for your input.

Cheers
Dave

Dellis said:
I've amended my route to reflect your recommendations.

Many thanks to the three of you for your input.

Cheers
Dave

Glad to be of help, even if it was indirectly. The internet is so full of good information, it's just finding it that's hard!

BTW have you seen this site: http://www.alpineroads.com/index.php

And read this book: MOTORCYCLE JOURNEYS THROUGH THE ALPS AND CORSICA By John Hermann?

Hi John,

yes I've seen the site and no I haven't read the book. I've heard about it and it's on my list of books to read.

Dave

A bit of help if possible...

... I'm trying to find an inexpensive hotel / bed & breakfast in or close to Sarntal on the SS508 just to the north of Bolzano.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

Back
Top Bottom