New bloke

Bootneck

Just registered on good advice from sensible people. Excellent web site with some really good technical bits. Speaking of which has anybody had trouble with their side panels blowing off on their 1200GS. I had one come off and disappear at motorway speed at night which was replaced by BMW under warranty, I have had the other one blow back but remain attached, I am waiting to see if BMW will stump up for this one.

I would initially have put this down to my own stupidity for not checking the crap bottom twistlock fittings were it not for the fact that my dealer has replaced one of these side panels for another unfortunate bloke in the same situation.

What concerns me is that when they came lose it was after some 80 miles of riding a lot of which had been done at higher speed at which I would have thought would be sufficient to do the damage earlier on in a trip. It was also over a week and a 150 miles since I had removed the panels for cleaning so I do not believe I did not do them up.

Anyone out there with similar experiences, solutions? I know the expensive carbon fibre, proper DZUS fitted option.

Hello Bootneck....and welcome :thumb

They couldn`t have been all THAT sensible..... :D :D

Hope you enjoy it here...........

......and feel free to ask me at least about moisturiser.... :p :p :beerjug:

Welcome Bootneck... enjoy.

I've heard about the side panels blowing off... expect some replies eventually, probably also some comments from the 650/1100/1150 brigade :D

I believe it's probably because they weren't put on properly in the firstplace, I think they probably need a little moisturiser :eek:

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice or otherwise on side panels. I reckon the solution is fitting a DZUS fastener in place of the plastic crappy one. I've done this on the damaged panel I have retained and it appears to work. It certainly feels more secure and better than a zip-tie, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom