Ferry to Morocco ?

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What is the best route to use
Algeciras to Ceuta..Or Tangier ?
Or is there another good way to Morocco ?
And what is the cost of the crossing for me and the bike ?
Thanks Garry

I would only reccomend Tangiers if you knew what to expect....I liked it but it did get a bit hairy at times. Use one of the spanish enclaves if you want an easier entry mate....... :thumb

Ive used the Algeciras to Cueta twice, a few years ago now. Its a Spanish enclave so its a bit easier i reckon than Tangiers.

On the way to the ferry there were portacabins at the side of the road selling tickets for the crossing. They normally ask the cc of the bike your riding and charge accordingly.

The first time i did the crossing these booths selling the tickets were closed (due to the time of year) and i bought one outside the port carpark. There a plenty of ''helpers'' that will be eager for you to buy a ticket at their booth.

Once across the Straight and at the border you can get the help of a local to do the paperwork to clear the border. These guys normally have a id card round there necks and will assist you for a fee. If im teaching you to suck eggs i apologise, agree a price before using these helpers or things can get heated.

If you cant get Green Card insurance for Morocco you can buy it at the border crossing point.

Hope this helps

Buy the ferry tickets at the port - get a price from several different agents. And haggle . We got a special rate in december, said we were paris dakar team/support, and they gave us the teams rate for the crossing. :D

Have a biro or two handy, you have two forms to fill in. One for you, and one for the bike. It's not rocket science, but the touts will tell you otherwise :rolleyes:

Adding to what Steptoe says about the touts in Ceuta, some are official others are not, neither of them need to be paid!

3 years ago the same policeman who was so helpful and friendly on our way into Morocco, tried to demand both money or my sun glasses, I politely told him where to go, he smiled. Then this very scruffy one legged guy comes up and says "Passports please" I said Fe8k off, he did and the policeman smiled again :)
Moral; don't be intimidated

Then Moroccan tomcat pissed on my sheepskin seat cover, again :(

Although slightly dodgy, you get a very good exchange rate from Euros to Dirham at some of the small shops in Ceuta itself, the type of shop that sells cameras and watches etc ;)

As Steptoe says, wait until you get to the port before buying tickets.

I've been in more than a dozen times through Algeciras>Ceuta (Fnediq) and it's normally a hassle made worse by 'helpers'. For details of the procedure see here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44332

In January we came in via Tarifa>Tanger (you can also do Algeciras>Tanger) and the entry procedures were smooth as silk by comparison, with the passport controls being done on board the ferry.

Also, the motorway now extends nearly all the way to Tanger, so it's a quick way to get down to Larache and beyond.

Other routes include Sete (southern France) to Tanger which Bert took earlier this year, and Malaga to Melilla (Nador).

Tim

Check the return times for the ferry company you book with. The ticket we bought was for a specific company & not transferable. Ended up wating 3 hours at the port in Ceuta, which meant we hit Malaga at rush hour time.

Baz

Thats a very good point by Baz, because of the 2 hour time difference it could easily mean an unplanned overnight in Ceuta instead of watching the totty in Tarifa, or buying another one way ticket like wot we did last year :rolleyes:

Me and a mate did Almeria to Melilia (Spanish enclave) which is an overnight job. Very easy through customs, well sounds easier than Tangiers anyway. the road from there South West to Midelt is a stunner.

May I ask what addvise you would give about buying Motor insurance at the boarder,and what can you expect to pay.or is it best to change your insure here before you leave.Thanks

Do it here or its another hassle you've got at the border. Didnt cost me anything to get green card cover. Though it was only 3rd party

dazzer said:
May I ask what addvise you would give about buying Motor insurance at the boarder,and what can you expect to pay.or is it best to change your insure here before you leave.Thanks

Read the link in the #7 post in this thread. All insurance, whether green card or border, is likely to be third party only, so check with your insurer if you think otherwise.

Tim

hush! very naughty I know but I didn't bother. Got stopped 3 times by the rozzers and they didn't ask to see any paper work at all. Just said hello, asked what country I was from, thank you and good bye.

Thanks for all the advise :) ...How much is the ferry crossing from Almeria to Melilia ?...And whats the best way to exchange money..Pounds or Euros to Moroccan Dirham ...What gives you the best deal ? and where's the best place to exchange ?

Back
Top Bottom