TomTom appear to have caught up and overtaken Garmin...

Keba

http://www.mytomtomgo.com/firmware_6.php

I can't see any reason at all now to buy a Garmin - everything that Garmin advocates have said 'this is better than TomTom' will be part of the TomTom range (including the Rider) in the very near future.

Maybe TomTom were listening to everybody afterall ;)

Keba said:
http://www.mytomtomgo.com/firmware_6.php

I can't see any reason at all now to buy a Garmin - everything that Garmin advocates have said 'this is better than TomTom' will be part of the TomTom range (including the Rider) in the very near future.

Maybe TomTom were listening to everybody afterall ;)
Still no PC mapping that I can see :( Until TomTom provide that, it’s a none starter for many GPS’ers

Read again, that's what TomTom HOME does.

As an ex-Tom Tom use who migrated to Garmin, I welcome the competition that Tom Tom brings to the market. I think Garmin still has the advantage for wider-travelling users, but Tom Tom will push Garmin to introduce more advanced features.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
Read again, that's what TomTom HOME does.

As an ex-Tom Tom use who migrated to Garmin, I welcome the competition that Tom Tom brings to the market. I think Garmin still has the advantage for wider-travelling users, but Tom Tom will push Garmin to introduce more advanced features.

Tim
Tim, I couldn’t see any mention of a PC map, or being able to create routes, let alone save trails

unhinged said:
I like the look of the weather thing.
Yes, I like the weather thing too, I wonder how it works? Some Garmin GPS’s can show a weather map (North America only :( ), but you have to subscribe to a service to get it.
Same with buddies, how does that work, data passed via mobile phone?

All clever stuff :thumb

ebbo said:

I can't find any definite info, but it sounds to me like it only works when your GPS is connected to your PC, which has an internet connection, and your "buddy" has his GPS connected to his PC, also connected to the internet.

In other words, it won't work when you're out on your bike. However I may be totally wrong here.

ebbo said:

Super - it even notifies you when you are speeding - in cases of excessive speeding perhaps V7 will reroute you to your Police "buddy" ;)

The extra sevices are done through GPRS signals, and it's a chargeable service.

The 'home' software isn't out yet...they say they have no date on release either.

TomTom's are also flippin expensive compared to something like the Quest, which does everything I need it to do.

As yey I haven't read anything about their service re breakdowns and warranty issues.......they'll have a long way to go to match the service that Garmin gives though.

I agree with Tim though that it's good to have competition in the market to bring good products and hopefully cut prices :thumb

All GPS's are limited by the quality of their base maps. This is where the TomTom falls down for me. Too many people I know have bought one only to be constantly directed the wrong way down one way streets etc.

Safe Mode and PC routes on Rider

Safe Mode

To stop the Rider going into Safe Mode its only necessary to cover one of the four contact pins on the back. Can't remember which one but as there's only four it won't take much searching. I don't bother as I have found I don't need to do anything while driving that Safe Mode does not offer.

PC Mapping

Although Rider does not have a dedicated solution its easy if you have Autoroute. First download a free program called POIConverter. Now plan your route using Autoroute and save the route. Load the route into POI Converter and set preferences to save in TomTom format and copy into the itinerary folder on the TomTom SD card. This sounds long winded but the conversion process only takes a few seconds.

Wrong Directions

OK. A couple of times the Rider has suggested right turning into buses only or no entry streets but I have had similar problems with routes planned with Autoroute (in one case, sending me up a farm track with a barrier across it). It would be great if the Rider was perfect but to be fair to TomTom its pretty impossible to keep up with every local authorities latest wizzo idea to confuse drivers. At least with the Rider, ignoring the turn results in it very quickly replaning the route to avoid the problem.

Back to the Rider in general. I think it's a very good SatNav. I don't have a problem with Safe Mode or PC compatibility but if TomTom want to make a good system into a great one they need to provide an audio in/out socket (preferably retro-fitable) for the voice commands and mic input.

For the many riders using Autocom or similar the reliance on Bluetooth to get audio in/out is a pain. Firstly its necessary to make up a cable to connect the Autocom to the unusual four pin socket on the Bluetooth. Secondly one has to keep remembering to charge the Bluetooth receiver as it won't work when connected to bike power.

andyclift said:
Safe Mode
For the many riders using Autocom or similar the reliance on Bluetooth to get audio in/out is a pain. Firstly its necessary to make up a cable to connect the Autocom to the unusual four pin socket on the Bluetooth. Secondly one has to keep remembering to charge the Bluetooth receiver as it won't work when connected to bike power.

Autocom has a cable for the Rider (it's a different one for the old and the new Autocom generation, so make sure you specify your Autocom model when ordering). Expensive for what it is (£24), but I've ordered mine...
Doesn't solve the battery powered thingy though, I'm thinking of a way to go around that, but I'll have to wait until I can put my hands on my Rider (waiting for me in Paris :bounce1 )...

Manni said:
Autocom has a cable for the Rider (it's a different one for the old and the new Autocom generation, so make sure you specify your Autocom model when ordering). Expensive for what it is (£24), but I've ordered mine...

Can you connect the TT rider to an Intaride?

Thanks

andyclift said:
Safe Mode
First download a free program called POIConverter.

Firstly, any chance of a link to somewhere I can ger POIConverter please, &
Secondly, use mine with a Starcom1 + Starcom Bluetooth module, only works when connected to bike power, so no charging issues, but does mean it doesnt work when parked up and switched off (has to be switched to avoid draining battery).

ebbo said:
Still no PC mapping that I can see :( Until TomTom provide that, it’s a none starter for many GPS’ers

That's not what it says in the press release:

Another big novelty and a long-time requested feature is finally implemented into HOME; the planning of routes in advance on the computer

This is a PC mapping page
mapsource.jpg

This is Tomtom home
home1.gif

Detail from the top left corner of Tomtom home ‘Options’
home2.gif

Call me cynical, but I see no mapping page

fcasado said:
Can you connect the TT rider to an Intaride?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can. The standard audio out on GPS systems is a 2.5mm plug which is what the IntaRide has. From the pictures on the TT site it looks like either a 2.5mm or a 3.5mm output. If it is the 3.5mm you can buy a 3.5mm-2.5mm adaptor from maplins for about 50p..

Back
Top Bottom