Dual Accessory Socket - a suggestion

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know some of you out there are a lot more technical with electrics than I am and I have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to make a 1 into 2 adaptor for the standard accessory plug which would effectively provide two plug connections from a single source. This might be a better solution than fitting a second plug on the console or beak which I know others have done as it would not require cutting permanent holes into the bike.

I know there are some electrical whizz kids out there - malky, Gazza etc so come on lads what do you think? Is this a good idea or am I talking out of my posterior?

Interesting question

I guess it would be pretty simple to buy two sockets, one plug and a box to mount them in (maybe with a lead). In terms of the electrics, the only issue really is making sure you don't draw too much current and blow the fuse. When fitting a second socket to the bike, I don't know whether it's wired through the same or a separate fuse (anybody else know?)

There may be an option of upping the fuse rating but you would have to check that the wiring is up too the job otherwise you may end up inventing an "integral" electric heater.

I guess it depends what you want to run off it, a light may be ok but I wouldn't advise plugging a hairdrier in!......who is her drier anyway?

Not ridiculous at all

Hi Mike, not a daft question at all. Lots of us have more than one bit of kit that plugs in. I have not had the cover off that houses the socket but it may be as simple as just fitting another one next to the original and series the two together. Perhaps someone else has had the cover off and knows how much space there is to play with in that area. If there is room Mike, fitting would take about 5 mins and the only outlay would be an additional socket.

I've added a socket for standard size (car) plugs. It has a rubber cap, so it's reasonable waterproof. Bit tricky to fit though, you have to remove the fuse box, which takes some patience. Once you have it off, there is enough room in there, that's no problem.

Another valid option is the "beak position" as standard on the GSA of course. I suppose you can buy the GSA socket from your dealer.

Attachments

• img_2301.jpg
    img_2301.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 881
I have the answer

I spoke to MotoWorks about this and BMW do a complete after market kit which has the accessory socket, a bracket and cabling that is pre-fitted with the necessary connectors, cost £26 plus vat. The bracket connects to the silencer/rear footpeg hanger and the cabling connects into the power cable of the existing socket and then connects the standard one in parallel. Even an electrical numpty like me can do this so I hope to have it fitted by this weekend. The part number on the kit box is 71 60 7 666 393.

I know it is probably cheaper to buy the socket from John Deere but this is the solution I wanted because it means I haven't had to drill holes into my beak or cockpit dash and it looks easy to fit and wire up.

Halfords

Do a 4 into 1 cable set for £6.99. Cut the end off and fit a BMW socket on the end (or JD) etc.

Am testing it at the mo. Fits perfect under the front of the front seat.

Re: I have the answer

Lord Snooty said:
I wanted because it means I haven't had to drill holes into my beak or cockpit dash

Why are you so affraid of drilling another hole in your dash or somewhere? Surely, if YOU need another socket, then any future owner of your bike will need one too. So long as you do a good job, any potential buyer of your bike will thank you!

Just do it!

Here is an outfit that makes BMW compatible plugs and brackets. No affiliation, just passing on information. If you have not seen these, the site should keep your imagination busy for a while.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products.html

Dual Plug:
pac007.jpg

My personal favorite gizmo from them is – Right angle plug
ppl004.jpg

The tankbag power kits and side panel kits are interesting.

- Jim

I believe that Jastek makes the cords that Powerlet sells...I have used their cords for a while now and they are definitely worth the money - sturdy and well put together; nice fit and finish...

I ordered a tank bag power kit and a few other bits from the guys that poolside posted about http://www.powerletproducts.com/index.html

I placed my order with them on Thursday and it arrived at my house 4 days later. Now that's impressive! The only charged me $3.95 for postage.

I'm planning to install the kit into my panniers and run an invertor in there. I figure it's going to be easier charging my video camera, mobile, radio and camara batteries with an invertor. I'll let you know how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom