SAFETY ALERT - Recall

notadrop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
.......browsing and found this on a U.S. site. Doesn't affect me but felt it may be of interest to those it might [I don't know if this is USA only OR has been posted before - apologies if that's the case].

BMW Has Recalled the 2003 R1100 S , R1150GS , R1150GS ADV , R1150R , R1150RS , R1150RT Motorcycles
(SafetyAlerts) - BMW Has Recalled the 2003 R1100 S , R1150GS , R1150GS ADV , R1150R , R1150RS , R1150RT Motorcycles because of a potential for the rear wheel to lock.

Number of Units Affected: 515

Manufactured: 09/2002 - 10/2002

Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE 3RD AND 4TH TRANSMISSION GEAR (SHIFT) WHEELS MAY NOT BE SECURELY SEATED ON THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT. CONSEQUENTLY, WHEN ATTEMPTING TO SHIFT FROM 5TH TO 6TH GEAR, ENGAGEMENT OF THE TWO GEARS MAY OCCUR SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Consequence Summary:
IF THIS HAPPENS, THE GEAR WHEELS COULD CRACK RESULTING IN A LOSS OF TRANSMISSION CAPABILITY, OR, A LOCK OF TRANSMISSION COULD OCCUR. THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK WHICH, DEPENDING UPON TRAFFIC AND ROAD CONDITIONS, AND THE RIDER'S REACTION, COULD AFFECT THE STABILITY OF THE MOTORCYCLE.

Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE MOTORCYCLES AND REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION GEAR BOX IF NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW

Ooops!

So; how many of you GS'er (Grumpy Senile?) did fall of your chair? :p

Oh I'm glad I ride Scarver. :D

Liv, The Scarverlady!

(Hmmm, I wonder: Do the guys remember why I said GS = Grumpy Senile?
Sometimes it's OK to have the pond between us. ;) )

OK, it's not a joke.

So; did they mention Scarver? I know there has been 1 or 2 different reasons for recalls.

Or did you get me finally?

I don't trust people 1st. April.

;) ;) Liv.

You,re a bit late on that one, mine was recalled last year, new gearbox fitted, no problems since. Mind you, i never had any problems with the 'faulty' gearbox.

Back
Top Bottom