5 days in Spain Q's

Trippy

Tell me cos I don't know, if you got off the ferry at Santander at 9 in the morning on a wednesday and had untill the following Monday afternoon to have a look around, not cover massive miles, see some stunning views and ride some lovely roads ....... where would you go? Can I have some place names so I can find them on a map and work out a little route.

No question! Go to the Picos d'Europe
21956032-M.jpg

and the Desfiladero de los Beyos.
Check some pics here:
http://cooltours.smugmug.com/gallery/459387/3/21625862

Use the hotel at the beach of the tiny village called "Vega". It is a low budget hotel but clean and with plenty of charme. You see it on the left side of this pic.
21625895-M.jpg

check rough map here. You can spend days and days in the picos, just ride along the green marked roads and enjoye life!

You see it on the left side of this pic.

:eek: It's sunk!!! :eek: :D

Picos.....not been there meself (it's on the list) but having followed all the ride reports about the area ( do a search and you'll see loads of pics from the guys here who've been) It looks like the perfect place for you in that time frame :thumb

Sos del Rey Catalico

One of these high in the Hill towns, only this was where Ferdinad of Ferdinand and Isabella lived. (not Rio, Les or the west ham ferdinand)
Great roads in and out. Give Pamplona a miss it's over rated.
The other place is Monastir del Piedra, Monastry of the Waterfalls . Near Burgos, again worth a ride to plus stay a noight at the monastry, foods great building is spectacular and the land around it is very waterfallesque.

Have a look at paradors web sites.

With that timescale, as said, the Picos are your best option.

As you have to turn "right" from Santander to reach the Picos, I'd stay heading that way and along the Galician coast. This is the area where many Spaniards take their holidays.

The Parador hotels are superb. Nationally owned they are mainly in old castles and monastaries but if your budget is tight they're not cheap.

H on a building is Hostel not hotel. Go for these if you don't have lots to spend. They're not what they sound. Basically a Hostel is a hotel without a restaurant but there are always decent cafés nearby for breakfasts.

I'd bimble along the coast towards Oviedo, exploring as much as possible and then use the E70 to blast back to the ferry on the last day. That way you minimise 'the going over the same route twice bit' that happens on shorter trips.

Trippy said:
Tell me cos I don't know, if you got off the ferry at Santander at 9 in the morning on a wednesday and had untill the following Monday afternoon to have a look around, not cover massive miles, see some stunning views and ride some lovely roads ....... where would you go? Can I have some place names so I can find them on a map and work out a little route.

Anywhere to the north and north-west of madrid including Segovia and Avila (or even Madrid itself) - http://www.parador.es/english/index.jsp are muy bueno.

Thanks for these, I think if I go I would ride the coast and hotel it the 1st night then camp for the other 3. Had a look at other pico threads and it looks lovely.

Back
Top Bottom