Garmin Quest 2 1200GS mounting

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
Can any one tell me what parts - (possibly RAM) are needed to mount a Quest 2 on a 1200GS - I would like to mount the Quest directly behind the screen in preference to handlebar mounting.

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm completely new to this GPS stuff.

I'm new to all this GPS malarkey myself, but just yesterday I mounted a Quest 2 on a 1200GS. I was full of trepidation but it was all very quick and easy. I routed the power cable behind the side panel.

(I need to sort out some options for routing the earphone cable. Probably getting an audio cable extension to go from unit to just in front of seat, so I can simply unplug earphone cable from the botton of my jacket when I get off the bike. Ideally, I'd like another socket at neck level so I can take my helmet off without unthreading cable from my jacket. Don't know if too many sockets along the way will interfere with quality of sound, though. There's a recent thread about earphones - I bought the cheap earphone from Maplins as suggested, but as they are dead cheap I'm going to buy a couple more and experiment with fitting them in my helmet. The sound quality through the earphone is much better than the tinny sound you get from the car speaker. and I had no difficulty hearing instructions up to 90 mph on my bike, even with moulded earplugs fitted.)

Mounting parts came from GPS World - click on the RAM mounts banner and that'll take you to it. The parts I ordered were:

RAM-B-149 (the mounting arm bit).
RAP-319 is the little adaptor shim thing to allow the mount to fit to the oval rail above the clocks (rather than to a round tube like the handlebars).
The holder itself is a RAM-HOL-GA15
The power and audio adaptor is called a QPAC04-xx (xx = jack socket size). This is the expensive bit at £40-odd

Don't take my word for it, though. Call the number on RAM site and get their professional view on what you need in case I've got the numbers wrong! Steve (RAM-man on this site) has been extremely helpful.

(Finally, to fit the mount you'll need an 11 mm spanner. And I cut a piece of rubber mesh to go between mounting bracket and rail to prevent any marking of the rail.)

Good luck!

Robin.

I have one thing to add possibly :)

g1200ps06.jpg
g1200ps04.jpg

This gives you the option to mount up to 3 devices.
And it looks good too :D

Cheers,
Michel

Wow, that does look pretty smart. :clap Wish I'd looked earlier.

The black mount part looks like the same RAM mount - is it?

Robin.

Hi Robin,

My mount ends with the 1" RAM ball.

From there you can use all standard 1" RAM accessories.

You can find more info in my little shop at www.migsel.com

Cheers,
Michel

MiGSel said:
Hi Robin,

My mount ends with the 1" RAM ball.

From there you can use all standard 1" RAM accessories.

You can find more info in my little shop at www.migsel.com

Cheers,
Michel

Do you have a photograph of the underside of you mount? - I wish to understand how it attaches to 1200GS frame.

Here you go:

63796882-S.jpg

The screws go through the existing holes in the plate.

Cheers,
Michel

Received my 1200GS Migsel mount in the post today - very impressed with its simplicity and how effective it is when used with the RAM mount bits. It places the Quest 2 in the perfect position just behind the screen and above the clocks - a high quality product!

Back
Top Bottom