Any ideas for a back rest when Top box fitted.

dave_h

Has anyone any ideas (permanent) to cushion the Top box fitting from digging in the back of the pillion on long journeys.
I have the aluminium top box which when fitted does tend to dig into the pillions back and i am surprised BMW have no cure to combat this.
Other GS'ers must have had these complaints put to them by there other halfs how did you deal with it?
I am not looking for a coat or jumper hooked up round the box we have done that but something more permanent that will not effect the operation of the top box that will make it more comfy for your loved ones:inlove

Blimey! i am going all soft:confused:

Top box back pad

Dave...I've been thinking about this myself as i want to get something fitted before we head for our tour of Scotland. I rang a small, local upholstery firm and he has told me to bring the topbox in (mine's a Givi), I'm going to take it in tomorrow and I'll let you know what he thinks he can do and the cost.

You softie:grin

I have the plastic bm topbox:eek: so have used the kseries pad for the box,but it is curved slightly to fit box profile.
I also have a sargent one ,I suppose you could try one made for plastic panniers Hepco,givi etc

Re: Top box back pad

Lord Snooty said:
Dave...I've been thinking about this myself as i want to get something fitted before we head for our tour of Scotland. I rang a small, local upholstery firm and he has told me to bring the topbox in (mine's a Givi), I'm going to take it in tomorrow and I'll let you know what he thinks he can do and the cost.

So if anyone spots a GS with a 4 poster divan bolted on the back parked up alongside Loch Lomond there'll be no need to post a 'was it you' on the site.;)
Tim

I have a Corbin backrest attached to the plastic bmw top box. I'm not sure if it will attach to the aluminum one.

Back rest

I have a Hepco and Becker Journey top box (like a Givi) with a metal rack on the top. To protect herselfs delicate back I cut a piece of MDF about 8 in x 3 in, radiused the corners and took it to my local car upholsterers. They put foam on one side and covered it with black leathercloth - all for thr princely sum of £10 - works a treat.
As your box has no curved profiles (like my rack) perhaps you could somthing similar.

Al

Job done

Have had my back pad made by a local small craftsman.

It's about 10"x6" with radiused corners, half inch plyboard, 1" fairly dense foam and covered in grey with black piping. Job done in a single day - he charged me £28 which is a little more than I expected but then again I could have had it cheaper if I'd gone for plain black and no piping.

Looks the mutts nuts and it matches the grey covering on my Corbins seat.

Should keep SWMBO happy on the long rides out so I guess it's worth the money!

Will post a pic if my mate has his digi cam with him on Friday.

Thanks for some ideas i will look into them after all its important that you look after your loved ones back isn't guys:eyebrow

Back
Top Bottom