Difficult Choice

Trevor Brown

Reaction score
Having owned a Suzuki Bandit 600 for the last 3 years I am now looking for a new replacement. I have short listed and test ridden 3 bikes comprising; an 1150GS, a honda VFR800VTEC and a Honda Blackbird. Taking the VFR first, I can't say I was overly impressed with this. I found it pretty gutless (although faster than the Bandit!) and the VTEC system no more than an irritating gimic (anybody else tried it?). This leaves the GS and the Blackbird - a more difficult choice! Both have their strengths; the GS its real world grunt, excellent handling and its general quirkiness and the Blackbird its comfort and astonishing performance. I am aware that both models are being replaced in 2004 which leans me in the direction of the Blackbird before they spoil it with a VTEC system. The bike won't be used everyday but I do about 8000 miles a year through touring, sunday blasts and commutes to work on nice days. I reckon the beemer (with extras) would cost about £1300 more to purchase than the Blackbird (also with extras) taking into account part exchange deals, although the insurance will be £200-300 cheaper for the GS! I intend keeping it for 3 years and know in the case of the Honda that I would get a good part ex price against another Honda when the time came. My gut feeling is to go for the Blackbird but I am not 100% decided. So I suppose the question is has anybody else made a similar decision and what swung it for you in favour of the GS?

(It would be interesting to post the same thread on the Blackbird Forum and compare the responses!).

Cheers.

Try comparing the used prices for a 3- or 4-year old GS and a Blackie for starters..... Depreciation? Wassat, then?

Try also comparing running costs - tyres, did someone say?

Also consider that a GS will easily outrun a Blackie on any twisty road - bin there, done that!

Unless you really wanna go everywhere at hyper-drive speed, and lose your licence ASAP, I think there is only one choice.

But then I'm biased!!

Three entirely different bikes!

Does cast aside the benefits of VTEC. I drove many thousands of miles in Honda's early offering in the Civic 1600 VTEC (a 1992 model if memory serves). It offered drivability at low speeds and awesome grunt at high revs. I'm sure that the technology has moved on since.

The quality in depth of engineering led me to buy a Blackbird as a sports-tourer. Stupidly powerful and not matching my ergonomic needs, I sold it in favour of an 1100GS. Half the power, twice the bike!

I part ex'd my 1100 after 6 months for an 1150 and haven't looked too far since.

But it depends what you want to do. My trips this year will include the Sahara Desert and the A1 Ring. The GS will be great for that. But is you're sticking to the by-pass on a Sunday morning, an R1 may be a better bet.

Yer pays yer money ...

:)

Greg

Another point to bear in mind is that the VTEC technology requires a major service at 8000 miles. And I mean MAJOR. There's talk of the VFR's 8000 miler taking two days, with it's associated costs.

Trevor:

I've owned a VFR750, VFR800i, and a fuel-injected Super Blackbird. I haven't owned the V-TEC Honda. I've also owned many other "must have" bikes of their day, including Fireblades and countless traillie-style bikes. I will say four things and you can form your own opinions:

(1) I swapped the Super Blackbird for an 1150GS and apart from recollecting how smooth, fast, and beautiful the Blackbird was I haven't missed it at all or wanted it back.

(2) I've never owned a bike (my main bike that is) for longer than about 12 to 15 months. I get bored easily and am also never totally satisfied that what I've bought is my "ideal" bike. In fact, I've never owned a bike from new long enough to buy new tyres or pay for a 6,000 mile service. Until, that is, I got my GS - two years old, just coming up to 12,000 miles, second set of tyres, and absolutely no desire to part with it. In fact, I've more or less stopped reading bike mags, test reports, and taking freebie test rides on new Hondas etc.

(3) I've never ever "customised" my bikes - never bothered with replacement exhausts, upgraded suspension, day-glo stickers and colour-matched anodised fastenings. I ride my bikes. I don't treat the bike itself as a hobby. Until that is (you guessed it), I bought my 1150GS. I've spent over £3,000 on it and I'm confident I'll spend at least another £1500 this year to get it finally how I want it. It hasn't NEEDED any of the things I've done to it (with the exception of a new screen and customised seat - which together cost only £300 of that £3000); I've done it because I'm having the kind of "relationship" with my bike that I've never had with a bike before - ooh er!

(4) This will no doubt be the first bike ever that I've done 20,000 miles on, or even 30,000, 40,000, 50,000! Who knows?

Apart ffrom all that, it's just another bike!
:D

Simon E.

Owning a few bikes at any given time, I can immediately see/feel the difference between various styles / makes... I have a ZZR for getting the knee down when the mood strikes me... a H-D for cruising and the GS... before getting the GS, the H-D was the apple of my eye. I've spent the last 3 years stripping down to the frame and engine and completely rebuilding with custom parts and topped of with a self designed paintjob. Needless to say, I'm very attached to it.

That was 3 months ago... both the ZZR and the H-D have now gotten a thick layer of dust from non-use. In everything except aesthetics (the H-D just has the edge here, but then again I would have to say that) the BMW is a far superior bike to anything I've ever ridden. It's the one I've put the AutoCom system on... the heating elements for plugging in a suit... mods for making life easier... it's just so damn competant on/off road, it's become my immediate bike of choice each morning.

'Nuff said.

My gaffer traded in a Blackbird for an 1150GS.

Reasons:-

First rear tyre only lasted 1500 mile.
Insurance was £800 per year.
Under 30 miles per gallon when ridden hard.
Feckin scary when ridden hard!

He thought it was only a matter of time before he either got caught (very difficult to keep your speed down) or had a serious accident.

I rode the Blackbird while he had it and I initially thought it was awesome, so much power. Then you realise that there aren't that many places/situations where you can actually use it.

When I tried his GS, 6 months later and I had one myself.

'Nuff said.

I went through the same kind of decision making process 18 months ago - although it was whether to get a GS or a new Daytona to replace my T595.

Chose the GS and never regretted it. Yes I miss the top speed but other than that its all a bit of a no-brainer :

handles like a dream
quicker A-B than anything out there
fabulous in town/commuting
virtually bomb proof
reasonable insurance
makes me laugh every time I get on it
led me into the sticky world of off road riding
carried two plus luggage around Europe for 5,000 miles

Add to that the incredible lack of depreciation, quality build, great backup and it really is a wonderful package. I adore the damn thing.

Good luck with whichever bike you get but have a good long test on the GS before you buy.

:D

The blackbird is undoubtedly a cracking bike - I rode a friend's bike a year ago - problem was that i was always doing much more speed than I thought. 100 felt like 60, 60 felt like 30 - 140 on the motorway came up with ridiculous ease - I would either kill myself (and others) or lose my licence pronto.

I found it very difficult to keep to a sensible speed and found 3 figure speeds on clear A roads almost routine.

The GS is a genuine contribution to road safety I feel !

Now which advert carried that as a catchline a few years back ?

6X

It was a tyre and the ex Chief of the Met Police ! Both so memorable that I forget both their names

:p

CC

:cool:

How does Sir Robert Marks sound ??

Several Vodka & Cokes have dulled the memory bank !!

CC:cool:

Sir Robert Mark 'I am convinced it's a major contribution to road safety'

MikeO:D (I'll get me anorak.....)

Another Biased View...

I went through a similar process, deciding whether to trade in my K1200RS for a GS. Not quite a Blackbird, but with some similarities. The KRS was ideal for blasting open A roads at 100+ mph, comfortable and still charging well beyond that, not too shabby on bendy sweepers (should that be sweepy bends?), but hard work and not at all confidence inspiring on tighter twisties. Even so, one hell of a bike in my view.

HOWEVER, having just made the required leap of faith, I am immediately grateful. The GS is as fast or faster for 90% of the time, and although the other 5% might represent some memorable rides, I'll settle for the responsiveness of the GS every time. Along twistier roads, I genuinely doubt that many other bikes would keep with it, let alone beat it, unless ridden by a real hooligan or exceptionally capable rider.

100+ mph speeds surely have a finite lifespan - either a big crash or a big fine must be waiting at some point.

I test rode the VFR and found it bland in the extreme. I'm sure it is a very accomplished all-rounder, but I ride a bike to be challenged and entertained as well as transported.

Incidentally, the V-TEC on the VFR is very different from the excellent system they have used on cars. It is not a truly variable timing system as the cars have - just a more radical pair of valves that only work above 7,000 revs. From what I've read, a true V-TEC system woudl take up too much space to be able to be fitted in a bike.

All bike shave their strengths and weaknesses. It is impossible to say one is "better" than the other without knowign the exact type of riding to be done. Even then, subjectivity will produce different views from different people. I have yet to hear about anyone who has been unhappy with a GS, though, as long as the physical size isn't an issue.

Robin.

Re: Another Biased View...

spheniscidine said:
100+ mph speeds surely have a finite lifespan - either a big crash or a big fine must be waiting at some point.
My sentiments exactly.
spheniscidine said:
Incidentally, the V-TEC on the VFR is very different from the excellent system they have used on cars. It is not a truly variable timing system as the cars have - just a more radical pair of valves that only work above 7,000 revs. From what I've read, a true V-TEC system woudl take up too much space to be able to be fitted in a bike.Robin.
And (according to that august journal of truth MCN) £500+ service costs when the VTEC stuff needs adjusting. Makes GS servicing at authorised dealers almost good value !

6X

IMHO, having ridden a Fazer 600 for 4 years, then testing a R1150R followed by the GS. I can only say that the GS kinda hit me with the feeling of, this is awesome! May not be as quick as the sportsbikes, which to be honest are not my cup of tea due to the riding position, but boy do I enjoy every mile on my GS! I am looking forward to a long and lasting ownership:moped:

Choice made!

Many thanks for all your views and comments.

After much deliberation, I have decided to give the Blackbird a miss and today put a deposit down on a brand new GS (Graphitan, ABS, heated grips and panniers). Picking it up in approx 4 weeks - can't wait!

Interesting snippet of information gleaned about the proposed new 2004 GS is that it will be shown at the 2004 NEC show and available in UK showrooms from March 2005. Have to wait and see.

Regards.:)

Re: Choice made!

Trevor Brown said:
Many thanks for all your views and comments.

After much deliberation, I have decided to give the Blackbird a miss and today put a deposit down on a brand new GS (Graphitan, ABS, heated grips and panniers). Picking it up in approx 4 weeks - can't wait!

Interesting snippet of information gleaned about the proposed new 2004 GS is that it will be shown at the 2004 NEC show and available in UK showrooms from March 2005. Have to wait and see.

Regards.:)
Well done mate - I'm glad you understood where to come to get utterly impartial unbiased advice !

Back
Top Bottom