Advanced Training

crampie

Barred from Barcelona
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You may know that we are about to host the first of a couple of first aid courses in conjunction with Medicbike at Rydale Cardiff. I'd also like to let you know that we will be hosting the first part of a four day advanced motorcycle riding techniques course. This will comprise of 2 days 'classroom' training (Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st of May) in our conference room with food & refreshments provided. The course will be run by Andy Smith (aka Foody) who used to be a Police Instructor and the same guy who looks after our learner training and ride outs. You'll have to contact Andy for full details of the course content and costs but suffice to say I think you'll find it an excellent course and enjoy both the 'classroom' sessions and the following 2 days road based session (arranged at a convenient time to suit the student). Oh and you'll also get the equivalent of an NVQ level 3 in Motorcycle riding!

You can contact Andy on 0777 3303 654 or email foody@ntlworld.com

Cheers

If someone is in any doubt about doing this course, my advice is put your name down asap. I did it about 3 years ago, but wish I'd done it 13 years ago.

Andy Smith is a "good bloke" as he will no doubt tell you himself. :D

Information requested!!

I need extra training!!

How does this compare to IAM training? (be polite now) :eek

Kevmulcock said:
Information requested!! I need extra training!! How does this compare to IAM training? (be polite now) :eek
Even though I did (and passed) this course about 3 years ago, last year I fancied having a stab at the IAM test as well. I attended their "open day" at Lougher Boat Club and was given an assessed ride. At the end of the ride, the assessor behind me reckoned that I should pass the IAM test once I'd ironed out a few small "bad habits" I'd picked up since Andy Smiths course. As it happened, I ran out of time, so didn't do the IAM after all.

Sorry it doesn't answer your question directly, but as no-one else had answered, it is better than nothing. Give Andy a buzz - he's very easy to get on with, and will give it to you straight. :thumb

Taff said:
Even though I did (and passed) this course about 3 years ago, last year I fancied having a stab at the IAM test as well. I attended their "open day" at Lougher Boat Club and was given an assessed ride. At the end of the ride, the assessor behind me reckoned that I should pass the IAM test once I'd ironed out a few small "bad habits" I'd picked up since Andy Smiths course. As it happened, I ran out of time, so didn't do the IAM after all.

Sorry it doesn't answer your question directly, but as no-one else had answered, it is better than nothing. Give Andy a buzz - he's very easy to get on with, and will give it to you straight. :thumb

As Taff said, any advanced training is good. I'm an instructor in wiltshire and will also be doing the Pink way Around with the south Wales guys in september
(Shame Sharribee's defected to the Landsend crew :D :D Good on you Sharri :thumb )

I trained to Police standard with Star Rider in 1988 'a real eye opener' I then did the IAM course in 2001, I didn't think it would be much good to me as I had been instructing for 15 years. But I soon realised that even 'I' had picked up some strange habbits (I got two 'B's on my test sheet :mad: not happy with myself for that).

If you have never done an advanced course, then you need to, 'no quetion' especealy if you are a bourne again biker.

Do the training, Then go play. Have fun. Val. H.

Ps: Remember this.
It's not just about keeping yourself alive. It's about YOUR responcibility to keep the others alive too.

Sorry, it's not a job it's a passion. :thumb

VAL. H. said:
As Taff said, any advanced training is good. I'm an instructor in wiltshire and will also be doing the Pink way Around with the south Wales guys in september
(Shame Sharribee's defected to the Landsend crew :D :D Good on you Sharri :thumb )

:thumb
Sorry Val, but I will still be riding some of the way with you guys, do they ride on the left over the boader :confused:

My and Jason will be doing some advanced training in the summer so will come back and look at this post again then (cant afford it now, had to service twinkletoes and fit tyres on both bikes.)

sharribee said:
Sorry Val, but I will still be riding some of the way with you guys, do they ride on the left over the boader :confused:
Err?? boarder?? Was I meant to stop? :confused: You'll be ok Sharri, they say it's ok for you guys to ride on the right. :thumb They just muttered somthing about a wellie park at Chepstow ;)

Ouch! 'Sorry' :rolleyes:

:hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:

See you in May. Val.H.

BOATER said:
would like information as well please.

Hi,

The cost of the course is just £320 and includes food and refreshments over the first two days. The course is all based on the Police system of motorcycle control, 'Roadcraft' and is delivered with video and PowerPoint presentations in the classroom. The road ride days are arranged to suit but it is best to spread them a week or so apart in order for you to practice what is covered in the classroom and then what we cover on the road on day one leading up to a final assessment on the afternoon of the final day.

We cover about 150-200 miles during the road days at a maximum instructor/student ratio of 2:1, and in radio contact.

If you wish I can submit your assessment papers, (and a written test) to the Open College Network and they issue a qualification equivalent to an NVQ Level 3.

This course is as close as you can get to a Police riding course.

If you require a place on the course I will forward you a booking form and I need the form back with a deposit of £25.

If you have any other queries you can visit www.1stclassrider.co.uk or give me a ring.

029 20313 465 or 0777 3303 654

If you want to speak to others who have done the course to get their views let me know and I will give you a list. Craig at Rydale has done it.

Hope to meet with you soon.

Andy Smith

crampie said:
Hi,

The cost of the course is just £320 and includes food and refreshments over the first two days. The course is all based on the Police system of motorcycle control, 'Roadcraft' and is delivered with video and PowerPoint presentations in the classroom. The road ride days are arranged to suit but it is best to spread them a week or so apart in order for you to practice what is covered in the classroom and then what we cover on the road on day one leading up to a final assessment on the afternoon of the final day.

We cover about 150-200 miles during the road days at a maximum instructor/student ratio of 2:1, and in radio contact.

If you wish I can submit your assessment papers, (and a written test) to the Open College Network and they issue a qualification equivalent to an NVQ Level 3.

This course is as close as you can get to a Police riding course.

If you require a place on the course I will forward you a booking form and I need the form back with a deposit of £25.

If you have any other queries you can visit www.1stclassrider.co.uk or give me a ring.

029 20313 465 or 0777 3303 654

If you want to speak to others who have done the course to get their views let me know and I will give you a list. Craig at Rydale has done it.

Hope to meet with you soon.

Andy Smith

I have to say Andy Smith is a top bloke, the course is absolutely fantastic and well presented. Best £320 quid i've spent for ages. I did the same time as PW and we took the two road days together too. All in all it was good and I learnt lots (been riding constantly since I was 16 too with no breaks)

Cheers

Great believer in advanced training. Chris and I have done several days with Rapid Training. They are based in the Home Counties, are all serving or recently retired police instructors/motorcyclists. Excellent guys, and well worth considering if in the area. One other service they offer is that of a gentle intro to track days. Very structured, as safe as such events can be, and lots of expertise to call on.

Back
Top Bottom