FAQ about Pannier Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
FAQ Pannier Systems?

As it's a frequent question that often degenerates into a "mine are better than yours" pissing-match, why not nominate one user of each type of pannier system to do an objective write-up on their choice?

Micatech
Alpos
System cases.
Hepco and Bekker.
Verns.
Al Jesse.
Touratech Zega
Touratech Street
Metalmule.
Givi.
Civils.

I've forgotten a few but you get the idea.

EDIT; Reviewed panniers now highlighted in red.....those still needing a review in black.
Bill

Really hard to get objective reviews of stuff from people who have commited (often) big dollars to the decision...

But, I'll give a short one on my Micatech panniers from the States... (soon to be available from Motoraad Concepts)
54972952-O.jpg

(more pictures available at the smugmug account)

I chose these boxes because I didn't like the top loader concept... I want to store stuff in that space (on top of the boxes). I don't like the full side loader concept... I don't want to have to remove them, or juggle gear when I open them... I also ride mostly with them off, and don't want to have ugly mounts on the bike all the time.

I chose alluminum boxes because I intend to ride a few hundred miles of gravel roads in the next couple years, and I figure they should stand up to the odd get-off and pounding better than plastic.

So what do I think now that I've actually loaded them up and driven a short way across Europe with them?

Initial installation was pretty easy, though it did involve a small amount of muscle-work, sort of flexing stuff into place so that no part of the mount system would bind with the boxes... They always slide on and off easily, but if a bit of the rear bullet is allowed to be where it naturally wants to be when "almost" tight, it will prevent the box from sliding on... a bit of flex just before tightening the appropriate bolts fixes this. I remove and replace these boxes (the LH side one anyways) every time I ride the bike as I store it on the bike in the shed... very easy to remove and replace. No exhaust mods necessary.

When doing a full mount of the boxes, I slide both on (very easy), I have to flex the two boxes appart by about 3 inches so that I can install the cross-brace at the back, but it goes in easy (same bullets as the side mounts)... and then I tighten 3 thumbscrews on each side, that each have a "nut on a tab" that can be tightened after to act as a lock-nut, and keep the thumb-screws from backing off.

I specifically checked the inside of the LH box for heat after 2 hours on the motorway and the inside wall felt ambient to me... no sign of being hotter than any other part of the case.

The hardware in these boxes is very nice BTW... finely machined alluminum mount-hardware, SS screws, welded and powdercoated aluminum structure... nice, very smooth, latches. I haven't gotten to see if they are waterproof yet, but the design makes it seem a pretty safe bet.

They load up nice, as I expected, there is enough of a lip to hold everything I put there in, and I can just open and shut the door with it full... but enough access through the open door to get almost anything (the way I pack) without unloading anything else first.

They carry well off the bike.. big handles, one in each hand... I put some automotive bumper trim on the bottom and rear corner so that I can put it down on bricks without damaging the power coat.

Negatives? When I open the doors, It would be cool if they were level, so that I could stack stuff on them... but the design makes them tilt down at the front some... and I expect that level doors would look like crap.

Anyways... how can one be objective when they went through a decision process... rejecting all the other choices for one reason or another... but there you have it.

Al...

Touratech Zega

Probably the squarest of square panniers and leaving aside the sometimes patchy supply issues, here's my review:

Two sizes available, 41 litre and 35 litre capacity.
Mounting frames available for all GS models and many other makes of motorcycle.
There are varying types of frame too. Either 15mm tube or 18mm and a system to allow the Zega's to be mounted on the standard BMW System rails.

The 'Special-set' has a small cut-out on the exhaust side pannier (quite large on the 1200GS versions) and an exhaust extension pipe to avoid heat transfer to the pannier owing to its proximity.
63375860-M.jpg

The mounting frames use existing points on the bike.
The 'Special-set' includes a pair of mini-indicators that replace the standard indicators because the panniers mount so close to the bike. (The original indicator stalks can be modified to allow this).

The panniers mount by latching two lower lugs over the frame rails and two swivel-latches behind the upper part of the frame.

Inside the pannier are two large knurled wheels with nylon lock-nuts. These are rotated to lock/unlock the pannier fixings.

The panniers are top-loading. The lids are 'secured' by two latches and lift completely clear from the pannier. They have an integral dust and water seal running around the top of the pannier. As standard the latches have a 'coin-slot' type lock. This is only intended to stop vibration from releasing the latch. Keyed locks can be supplied. Fitting these is fiddly and the locks really are not terribly secure, they are more likely to provide protection from casual theft than any serious security.

The panniers are made from 2mm aluminium and surprisingly light. Construction is a mix of welding and supplemented with a sealant. The lids and the bases are available as a replacement part in the event of terminal damage.

A whole host of additional parts and accessories are available, inner bags, additional bracing for the mounts, a panel that converts the panniers into a camping table and cables to connect the lids to the base etc.

The mix of 35 and 41 litre is possible to attain a balanced over-all width and is the only way to do this apart from the 'Special-set'.
47159533-M.jpg

I've had a 'Special-set' on my 1150 since it first turned a wheel.

I like the high mounting, the easy fixing and removal (although the contents have to be removed to dismount the panniers, this is easily done with the inner bags), the capacity (41 litre) is enough for my needs and they are still water and dust-proof. The panniers don't wobble or bounce around.

I'm not keen on the finish. The bare aluminium discolours quickly with use. Without inner-bags the interior finish can mark the contents. The latches are not very secure without the additional locks and even then you really need to add padlocks for some peace of mind. The mounting wheel spindle needs to be kept greased otherwise they can be a bugger to undo.

Some people don't like the sight of the frames with the panniers dismounted but they are less un-sightly than some of the alternatives.

47343594-M.jpg

The exhaust cut-out and the 'puck' type mounting blocks;

65552406-M.jpg

The 'knurled' wheel release inside the pannier.

65552417-M.jpg

Great Idea Mike.

Metal Mule panniers are British built and come in three sizes.
31L Skinny Mule - L470 x H385 x W206 mm
38L Classic Mule - L470 x H385 x W246 mm
45L Fat Mule - L470 x H385 x W286 mm

main.jpg

Top boxes come in two sizes
22ltr Stubby Mule
Height 225mm
Depth 315mm
Width 90mm

topbox-large.jpg

topbox-small.jpg

topbox.jpg

32ltr Classic Mule
Height 325mm
Depth 315mm
Width 390mm

The panniers and topboxes are available in a choice of finishes and you can add rubber feet, tie down loops and side handles as options or you can add your own choice as required.

Constuction is 2mm aluminium and are water and dustproof rated IP65. The riveted design is intended for easy repair in the event of damage happening in areas where finding someone to weld aluminim may be difficult. It is an unusual feature but one which has been incorporated in the R1200GS adventure panniers.

A single lock on the top of the pannier and topbox secures the both the lid of the pannier and the pannier to the frame. The frames are available for various bikes by a number of manufacturers. Frames could be easily made for many bikes which are not listed.

The panniers do not have an exhaust cut out but rely on either using a narrow pannier on the exhaust side or using the Metal Mule exhaust system (end can by Scorpion) which allows for equally sized panniers on both sides. Other exhaust lowering systems also would allow for this. This avoids problems of overheating which can sometimes occur with cut out systems.

On an 1150GS using the balance system along with the largest of the panniers the overall width is 98cm, the same as the handlebars.

Design features include a very efficient mechanism which does not require the pannier to be unloaded for fitting and removal. The panniers can be taken on and off very quickly.

I've used a variety of other systems before finding the Metal Mules. I have the Fat Mules and the large top box. The following are points I particularly like about the system.

1) Very strong build. Excellent low speed crash survivability (compared to other systems I've used). This is because of the angled corners and the inverted base.

2) Extremely easy to use, fast to take on and off and very easy to carry when not on the bike. Even with a tent strapped to the top the pannier can be carried using the side handles.

3) Flat top on panniers means your coffee / screwdriver / helmet doesn't slide off if you rest it there. It also makes for a comfortable camping seat (the rubber feet prevent damage to the base even on gravel)

4) Pannier lids don't come off completely so you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to put the lid when you open the pannier.

5) There is enough room to get your key in to the seat lock on an R1150GS without removing the pannier.

6) Panniers stack well when removed. Useful when floor space is limited.

7) Fat Mules hold a helmet (although not all will fit) The top box is designed to take any helmet (including peaked helmets such as the tour-x)

8) With the top box removed you are left with a conventional rack which is great for bungee strapping things to. When not carrying a pillion a large roll bag can easily be rested across the panniers and the top box rack.

9) The system includes a shortening system for the rear indicators. This allows you to keep the original BMW indicator lenses rather than having to compromise the visibility of your signals with micro indicators as other systems do.

10) Customer service is excellent. Paul who runs the company is an experienced overlander so he understands the needs of bikers first hand. He's also very approachable and will always give you the time of day. Not always true with some of the larger manufacturers in my experience.

The only faults I have found with the panniers are that the locks are prone to shaking themselves open on rough ground if they are not locked with the key and that if your bike lives outdoors water collects in the top handle recesses and can cause surface rust on the handles. Both of these are easily remedied by remembering to lock your panniers and a bit of wire wool from time to time. They are also prone to cross winds, but no more so than any of the other systems I have used.

EDITED for current information 18/7/06
I saw Metal Mule at Garmish and got chatting to Paul (nice guy BTW). It turns out that one of my complaints about the Mules has been addressed since I got mine. The 'rusty handle' problem is a thing of the past as he now makes them with stainless steel. A manufacturer who listens to his customers, what a refreshing change ;)

main.jpg

Alpos panniers supplied by Caveman

Here we go then,

Available in 36ltr or 41ltr boxes. Uses S W Motech quick release mounting system and dzuess quick turn conectors to lock on to the frames.

When I purchased nearly a year ago the complete kit was about £400.

I have used these a couple of times for camping trips and am very pleased with them. I like the fact that in seconds you can remove everything leaving only the very discreet mounting points. I believe they are constructed from 2mm aluminium. There was very slight water ingress over a 240 mile journey in torential rain but the use of liners would be recomended. I'm a cheapskate and am using Heine Gerrick carrier bags at the moment but I believe the "Tesco" cool bags are a perfect fit for a couple of quid.

This is the first of the mounting points. :thumb
65666873-M.jpg

Two more here behind the number plate and and behind the seat lock.
65666877-M.jpg

The final one being attatched to the rear footpegs.
65666881-M.jpg

This is one of the mounting frames.
65666884-M.jpg

And this is the view from the rear.
65666885-M.jpg

Panniers on from the front.
65666887-M.jpg

And from the sexy rear :p
65666889-M.jpg

Here's one showing the hinged lid.
65666890-M.jpg

This showing the lockable lid and lockable catches holding the panniers on. There is also another on the front of the panniers.
65666892-M.jpg

Another couple of views of the panniers mounted.
65666895-M.jpg

65666896-M.jpg

This is the lockable mounting that secures the frame to the bike.
65666897-M.jpg

And another from the front looking down the side.
65666899-M.jpg

I hope this is usefull. Paul aka Caveman is at www.eibcltd.co.uk and if you are local he will help you fit the system on while you wait.

Regards

Jon :thumb :beerjug:

TT street set

These are the ones which fit on standard system rails. So NO ugly frames
Excuse the filth. I havnt got round to cleaning since returning from Belgian GS meeting.
Here is the mounting latch

Attachments

• IMG_0399 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0399 (Medium).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 8,868
usually I put a strap between the lid loops.
This makes them more rigid.

Attachments

• IMG_0402 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0402 (Medium).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 8,775
from rear
They can be removed without removing contents
95.5cm wide, or 37 1/2"

Attachments

• IMG_0403 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0403 (Medium).JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 8,885
Al Jesse Panniers

So where to start mmmm,

After much reading on various forums I took the plunge and ordered Jesse panniers from this fellow, who is brilliant to deal with :thumb

http://www.kiwibob.de/eng/Jesse_Luggage/jesse_luggage.html

Kit arrived when prommised, well packaged, and complete.

Its all pretty straight forward to fit, the instructions are quite good, and the job can be completed in a couple of hours.

Good points

Good capacity 109 lts
Very easy and quick to put on/off bike
Very little metal work showing when pannier,s are not on bike
Not to wide when fitted
Very waterproof
Tough finnish on panniers

Bad points

Paint finnish on frame work is poor
Some of the welding looks bird shitty
Cheap n nasty lock,s

Overall I,m very pleased, they do all I want of em :thumb

Some photo,s

Frames for hanging the panniers on, arrows show mounting points,

Left side
65669652-M.jpg

Right side
65668679-M.jpg

Bracing between the two panniers
65668676-M.jpg

These little blocks slot on to the framework behind the rear footpegs,
the footpegs need moving, but this is included in the kit
65668658-M.jpg

65694417-M.jpg

Fixing to the framework is by two of these each pannier
open
65668672-M.jpg

closed
65668671-M.jpg

Locking of the lids
open
65668668-M.jpg

closed
65668664-M.jpg

Big box (pound coin in bottom for scale)
65668680-M-1.jpg

Exhaust side slightly smaller
65668663-M.jpg

Poor welding
65668657-M.jpg

65668654-M.jpg

Exhaust side gets sooty but does,nt get to warm inside
65668683-M.jpg

Fitted to the bike
Rear view
65694425-M.jpg

Front view
65694420-M.jpg

And the side views
65694421-M.jpg

65694428-M.jpg

HTH.

more images of Micatech to be added

Since this is turning out to be a graphics heavy thread, I'll link some more of my images so that they can be inserted into my review.. I'll just do a re-write and you can copy this over what's there...

Micatech panniers from the States... (soon to be available from Motoraad Concepts)
54972952-O.jpg

54972949-O.jpg

54993164-O.jpg

I chose these boxes because I didn't like the top loader concept... I want to store stuff in that space (on top of the boxes). I don't like the full side loader concept... I don't want to have to remove them, or juggle gear when I open them... I also ride mostly with them off, and don't want to have ugly mounts on the bike all the time.
54993112-O.jpg

I chose alluminum boxes because I intend to ride a few hundred miles of gravel roads in the next couple years, and I figure they should stand up to the odd get-off and pounding better than plastic.

So what do I think now that I've actually loaded them up and driven a short way across Europe with them?

Initial installation was pretty easy, though it did involve a small amount of muscle-work, sort of flexing stuff into place so that no part of the mount system would bind with the boxes... They always slide on and off easily, but if a bit of the rear bullet is allowed to be where it naturally wants to be when "almost" tight, it will prevent the box from sliding on... a bit of flex just before tightening the appropriate bolts fixes this. I remove and replace these boxes (the LH side one anyways) every time I ride the bike as I store it on the bike in the shed... very easy to remove and replace. No exhaust mods necessary.

When doing a full mount of the boxes, I slide both on (very easy), I have to flex the two boxes appart by about 3 inches so that I can install the cross-brace at the back, but it goes in easy (same bullets as the side mounts)... and then I tighten 3 thumbscrews on each side, that each have a "nut on a tab" that can be tightened after to act as a lock-nut, and keep the thumb-screws from backing off.
57634770-O.jpg

Here's some detail of the latch
57634766-O.jpg

57634750-O.jpg

I specifically checked the inside of the LH box for heat after 2 hours on the motorway and the inside wall felt ambient to me... no sign of being hotter than any other part of the case.

The hardware in these boxes is very nice BTW... finely machined alluminum mount-hardware, SS screws, welded and powdercoated aluminum structure... nice, very smooth, latches. I haven't gotten to see if they are waterproof yet, but the design makes it seem a pretty safe bet.

They load up nice, as I expected, there is enough of a lip to hold everything I put there in, and I can just open and shut the door with it full... but enough access through the open door to get almost anything (the way I pack) without unloading anything else first.

They carry well off the bike.. big handles, one in each hand... I put some automotive bumper trim on the bottom and rear corner so that I can put it down on bricks without damaging the power coat.
59610984-O.jpg

Negatives? When I open the doors, It would be cool if they were level, so that I could stack stuff on them... but the design makes them tilt down at the front some... and I expect that level doors would look like crap.
57635207-O.jpg

Anyways... how can one be objective when they went through a decision process... rejecting all the other choices for one reason or another... but there you have it.

Al...

Verns Panniers -

Not commercially available at the moment, but rumours say that may change in the not too distant future.
He's making a batch at the moment, and i think they may all be spoken for. But they do appear second hand, and tend not to hang around, so get them quick if you see some. If you spend time thinking about it, someone will have bought them.
They come with different size lids, and some were also custom made ( so i've been told), so check which before buying second hand.

The first thing you notice is the size, but they're like Dr Who's tardis, no wider than a set of ADV panniers, or my H&B panniers. But the huge space available is unreal.
The finish of the panniers has to be seen to be appreciated, along with the pannier frames, which are stainless steel and works of art. And use the BMW fixing points to mount to the bike.

Despite their size the panniers are extremely light, weighing a fraction of the H&B panniers .

The lids lock with that certain "clunk" you get with quality car doors, and the locks are again, stainless steel, as are the hinges. The lids open from back to front, and a T/T topbpx fits perfectly inbetween which doesn't have to be removed when opening the panniers lids. They are also anodised, which means no blackening of items in the panniers, as is common to other makes.

They aren't Q/D, and are held to the frames by four fixing points, with spin off aluminium discs and castle nuts over the top as security, and to protect any bags inside from catching on the bolt ends.

They may not be Q/D fixings, but take 5 minutes to remove each pannier, and as i only use panniers when going on a trip, and don't remove them until i return, it's not a problem. I never did carry any of my panniers into hotels or B&B's anyway, thats what the pannier bags inside the panniers are for.

The only problems i've had, was a melting indicator on the recent ride to Morocco, but i think that may have been due to the fact of driving 600 miles at 80-90MPH which is not like your everyday riding, before that i'd never had any melting indicator problem. But just to be sure i've added a deflector.

So, to sum them up, superb hardcore no nonsense travelling panniers. The trouble you'll have is persuading the people that have them to part with them. Mine are not for sale.:thumb

The pictures have been done very quickly, and don't really show the quality. Best seen in the flesh.

Panniers on the bike

The lid open

The securing strap

Inside

The mounting spinoff discs, and protective capnuts

The mounting frame

The securing latches

The hinges

As with other FAQ's this is a work in progress........if you'd like to add to it, please do so on the thread here;
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71275

and I'll take all the information from there and add it to this FAQ (Doing it this way kees the FAQ thread here clean and strictly to the point )

Well done Mike

Bill

Thanks to schiannini for an update on the MM panniers :thumb

We're still missing info on some systems, and soft panniers systems have been mentioned a couple of times by people......if there's any more reviews out there, stick them down in the thread above for editing into this faq.....it all helps :thumb

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom