Advice on Morroco required

shez1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been reading the threads about Morroco and you guys have convinced me to travel there with my wife in the 2nd half of May. We intend to get to Merzouga and I wonder if the piste from Erfoud is easy going or better to go on an orgainised trip. The bike will be 2 up with luggage.

If anyone can give advice on decent hotels with security for the bike it would be appreciated. Our route is Fez, Erfoud, Ouarzazate, Marrakech, Taroudannt, Essaouira, Meknes.

Thanks in anticipation.

Morocco

Brian

There is a tarmac road all the way from Erfoud to Merzouga, via Rissani so getting there is no problem. Rissani is a bit 'tricky' cos the locals, who used to guide tourists out to the dunes before the road was constructed have removed all the signs pointing you in the right direction! However its not difficult and I would be happy to give you details if you need them.

I stayed in a super little hotel in Marrakech, their web site is at:
www.moroccanhousehotels.com

Its not difficult to find, the staff are very friendly and speak excellent english and it's something different from the ordinary western style. When I booked I had to send a deposit by bank transfer as they didn't have online facilities. If you decide to give it a try, opt for one of the 5* rooms - bigger and more comfortable and still only about £40 a night.

In the other places I stayed I tended to use basic hotels from the Rough Guide, OK for me solo but probably not acceptable to your other half. All of the towns you mention have good quality 'european' style hotels. I would be very happy to help with any other queries you might have (as I'm sure will many others) so by all means pm me

Go for it, I am sure you will enjoy it very much

Mike

Unless you're an off-road god like Loz, I wouldn't be going two up on a sandy piste. I came off there in January and almost broke my ankle. If you insist on trying, we concluded that the best approach was to ride on the ground alongside the pistes (rather than in the ruts) and if we had to cross them, to attack at a 90 degree angle. Some people highly rate Merzouga and Erg Chebbi but personally I'd rather spend time elsewhere in Morocco.

Some pointers:
- don't bother with Fes unless you are going to spend half a day or more looking round
- from Fes, head south to Midelt via Ifrane, Azrou and the Col du Zad rather than via Sefrou and Boulemane (really boring road)
- from Erfoud head west via Tinerhir and the Gorges rather than Alnif and Nekob

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
Unless you're an off-road god like Loz, I wouldn't be going two up on a sandy piste. I came off there in January and almost broke my ankle. If you insist on trying, we concluded that the best approach was to ride on the ground alongside the pistes (rather than in the ruts) and if we had to cross them, to attack at a 90 degree angle. Some people highly rate Merzouga and Erg Chebbi but personally I'd rather spend time elsewhere in Morocco.

Some pointers:
- don't bother with Fes unless you are going to spend half a day or more looking round
- from Fes, head south to Midelt via Ifrane, Azrou and the Col du Zad rather than via Sefrou and Boulemane (really boring road)
- from Erfoud head west via Tinerhir and the Gorges rather than Alnif and Nekob

Tim

A great trip you can ride off piste Erfoud to Merzuga if you wish, i know a couple that did it two up OK

I found via Sefrou and Boulemane road great really fast sweeping bends.

Hotel in Marrakesh

Last week a few of us on Steptoes tour stayed in the Diwane Hotel in Marrakech for a few days. It is situated in the city centre, designed in traditional style, has a swimming pool and provides an excellent base. The bedrooms are spacious, very clean and well furnished. There is a secure underground car park for bikes. We paid £44 per night for a double room (single occupancy) including breakfast. If two share a room the total cost would be £56. :thumb

It’s about 26 miles from Erfoud to Merzouga. The Algerian border is 13 miles further on from Merzouga. Because of the Erg Chebi and the general geography, you’re not likely to stray into Algerian territory, but you should avoid doing so at all costs.

Since 2002, there’s now a tarmac road from Erfoud to Merzouga via Rissanni. The alternative route is out of Erfoud past the old fort and out on a poor quality tarmac road that eventually peters out into a sand track, and then no track. I think that you should be able to do this two-up, but it wouldn’t be fast or easy.

In May it’ll be starting to get pretty warm. Leave all you luggage in the hotel but do take at least half a tank of fuel, plenty of water and a GPS (even a small handheld item). Make sure that you have both Erfoud and Merzouga loaded as waypoints (they are both on WorldMap).

Enjoy the trip!

Greg

For hotel advice, i recommend the " rough guide" or "lonely planet guide". The best two hotels we had were from these books, and very cheap.

You can always find a "man who can help", at any traffic light or roundabouts. The most memorable meal was sorted out by a "man that can help" - 14 century house, top floor overlooking the downstairs area, and a meal with loooooooots of courses, including brainy eyebally stuff :eek: :thumb :D

Just use whatever type of roads you prefer, long fast sweeping bends, or tight turns, just suit you and your pillions riding style. They're all enjoyable.

Wreford Miles said:
I found via Sefrou and Boulemane road great really fast sweeping bends.
I remembered you writing that ages ago, and I couldn't remember ever doing that road, so I went that way last week. I'm sorry, but IMHO it's not a touch on going via Ifrance, Azrou and Col du Zad. In particular the stretch from Boulmane to the junction with the N13 is extremely boring, being miles and miles of straight, bumpy, narrow road.

You're not getting confused with Boumalne du Dades?

Tim

Thanks for the information

Thanks to you all for your information, I picked up some good advice. I have the Rough and Lonely Planet guides, but they dont mention secure parking for the bike unfortunately.

Brian

The only large bikes in Morocco are European owned ones, a Moroccan wouldn't have much use for a GS as he couldn't sell it or get rid of the parts in Morocco. I felt pretty secure leaving the bikes outside the hotels.

Also there was always a "security" man around who would watch the bikes at night for a Euro :thumb

brian sherriff said:
Thanks to you all for your information, I picked up some good advice. I have the Rough and Lonely Planet guides, but they dont mention secure parking for the bike unfortunately.

Brian

There was always overnight "security" watching the bikes ... They will ask for their "fee" in the morning.

I echo what Whatton says. I've often left my bike in the street, sometimes under the watchful eye on a 'parking guardian', other times just with the alarm set.

In Ouarzazate I stayed at Biker's Home which was €25 (250 dirham) for dinner, bed and breakfast. Zineb has a washing machine and drying lines.

Tim

hello MY friend Im from Spain (Sevilla) last year I was in Marruecos.... I tought tha this country it was same dangeruous, but..I was wrongt!! : )
The security in this country its fantastic, the policemen (any problem!! sometimes they stopped the traffic when we crossed..)/ and in the towns the people are friendly. You only have to take some caution when you parks the moto with all the things on especially in the ports and aduanes.(do you understand?? ) Forgot yours fears this is a wonderfoul country!!!

good Hotels, if you are adv rider!! jeje!! (no posh people! : ) )
-Xauen: hotel Rif
-Merzouga: Hotel Tombouctu / next to Sands
-Meqnés: Ibis hotel / nice turist hotel similar all Ibis hotels. Three weeks agó I was in M25 London Ibis in my sister's wedding!! I like London a lot! ; )
The others hotels I dont remember the names.
Ok !! I hope that have a good ride .
Antonio (Pegaso) Sevilla/Andalucia/España/Europe/the World/...... : )

Re:Essaouira

I have a biker mate who lives in Essaouira,he and his partner run a B&B which is in the medina.He can arrange guarded parking and if he was booked up accommodation wise,could know doubt sort an alternative.If you're interested I can let you have phone nos/email addy.Good luck you'll certainly enjoy it.
Pete. :thumb

Morocco was an absolute doddle and any fears I had were quickly extinguished. Three sports bikes and a RS BMW joined me and they even made 6km of the piste trail between Todra and Dades!

Issues: We did get stopped by drug dealers in the Rif mountains who wanted us to "export" 4kg of cannabis to Spain, but they were perfectly polite. The worst experience was a two hour sand storm on the way in to Merzouga. It was pretty uncomfortable to ride in and even gave the bikes a mild sandblasting down to a fetching matt finish. If possible remove your cat as we were unable to get unleaded fuel a couple of times and had to run on leaded.

Tips: All the locals are friendly (some at a price). They will all have a brother who is head of tourism or owns a hotel. You have to accept that you are being mildly scammed quite a lot of the time, but any amount involved really is a pittance to us. The best tip I could give is take loads of sweets (I opted for chocolate eclairs) as children will usually give directions without a hidden agenda if they are offered sweets first. In any other country that last statement would sound so politically incorrect! Read Tim's advice on the border crossing, it is spot on and makes it all really easy.

Good bits: It is a spectacular country which can change from the lush green hills of Wales to arid plains and then desert in one days ride. There is even a miniature grand canyon. As you ride along people will literally fall over themselves to run to the side of the road to wave to you.

If you go you I am sure you will enjoy it.

superstar dj said:
The best tip I could give is take loads of sweets (I opted for chocolate eclairs) as children will usually give directions without a hidden agenda if they are offered sweets first.

The power of the tic tac - i take boxes of them

Essaouira Accommodation

Pete,
The information regarding the B&B would be appreciated.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom