Moscow2 It's got bigger

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well my trip to Moscow has developed. Now doing a round trip of about 6000 miles and hopefully raise a few bob for charity.
The charity is the Medecines Sanes Frontieres (UK).

NO it's not "it’s a knock out". :rolleyes:

The organisation provides medical help and is now an international medical aid agency with a reputation of not only being the first to arrive in a crisis-hit area, but often, the only organisation to be there at all. The movement was awarded the 1999 Nobel Peace Prize.

The first link will give you information on Medecines Sanes Frontieres
And the second link is for you to donate and has my trip details on.
I have attached a basic route map as well. I set off on the 19th May.

www.uk2.msf.org
www.justgiving.com/tedmorley

Attachments

• russian route (Medium) (Small).jpg
    russian route (Medium) (Small).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 528
Ted,

Great charity.

In case people didnt know the work MSF do is awesome. They are often the first into an area to provide real assistance to the local population after a disaster or during times of civil unrest and war. It doesnt matter what race , creed or religion , MSF are there to help relieve pain and suffering and to save lives. Medical profesionals providing their services vountarily in very difficult circumstances.

I have pledged today and I hope others can follow suit.

All the best with your trip,

Ian R

:thumb

Hi Fanum
The route is pretty much set from Manchester to Moscow and Kiev and Odesa but the bit from Odesa to Opatija in Croatia is eerrr a bit vague :confused:
Had so many tails of problems and road conditions,etc. So I am just going to go with the flow and see what happens from Odessa. Intend to spend a few days in Moscow as was my original intention. Then the next planned stop is for a few days with friends in Opatija before heading home, easy :cool:
Hopefuly I will get Paul to post it in the Fund raising section and get a few GSers to hold off the TT catalogue and divert a few pounds to the web site :tears

Am trying to get a few stickers done (see avatar) to give out, look good on the panniers, and some info sheets printed but so far cost is to much.
I hope to try and post info and pictures when on route but will depend on internet cafe as I dont have a laptop etc. so may be a picture fest once I get back, or if I listern to the all the stories "if" I get back. :mmmm

Thanks Rushy just seen the post. You get a free sticker :thumb If I get them done in time for next months meet :beer:

Going to need a few visas there

Be prepared for long delays at the Russian and Ukrainian borders and try to get someone to obtain travel insurance for you in Russia ahead of your visit so you have the paperwork when you arrive at the border. It'll save you time and a lot of money. You might find it cheaper also to obtain your visa for Russia in Riga then in London but it depends on how you want to be prepared.

I have done a similar route by car and wish I was going with you on this trip. I have a lot of time on my hands presently and would love to come.

Marky

Muggings and theft!

Thanks Marky.
Have my visa and travel ins done. but still waiting for visa for Moldavia, looking at ways of going under Moldavia and staying in Ukraine then up into Romania but maps are a bit vague, some show roads others not. :confused:
Did you travel from Riga towards Moscow? (M9 I think) was the road OK.
I am stopping overnight in Velikie Luki then its about 250/300 to my Moscow hotel stop. Have a map to Moscow hotel but nothing for VL guess its a point and shout job :D see where I end up.
Have been told that there is a lot of trouble with theft,muggings etc in Russia by the Russian tourist office in Moscow and I should not come by bike.
Have you any thoughts on that, or has any one who reads this got any experiance of travelling on a bike in the areas on my route..

I have lived in Russia (St. Petersburg) for a couple of years in the past. I know the poeple and country well. Theft is no greater than in other parts of the world and I would simply recommend all the precautions you would take otherwise. Bloody great big visable chain and alarm and park where you know it's safe. Moscow is a huge unwelcoming city but worth going to see at least once. The people are not as forthcoming as those in other cities but will help you. In my experience the younger generation speak some English in many cases while the older generation speak some German. I would recommend you learn a few phrases in Russian though. Note since Moscow became the capital again in 1918 it has been the showcase of Russia. Most the money and industry in the country is in and around Moscow and it shows. Only the best of everything in Moscow. The roads are usually perfect, the city looks better than most others. You'll find it big and very expensive. Go careful with your money. It'll disappear faster than a rabbit down a hole.

Many older buildings (and not many of those left in Moscow) have courtyards inside the buildings where one can park cars and bikes. I would take a cover to put over it while parked inside a courtyard to stop things disappearing from it as in any part of the world. Sometimes opportunist theft by young people is fun in this country and in others, so as I said, just take what precautions you would usually.

As for pickpockets and the like, yes. Take care of this. At the risk of sounding racist, please avoid the Tajik gypsies in the cities. They often travel in groups/families and are recognisable by their brightly coloured clothing. They travel in groups to distract and steal from you. Of course they are not alone. But be cautious always. My advise is to blend in. Carry some things in a plastic carier bag and NEVER NEVER carry things in bags labeled 'Canon' or other brands. Wrap any camera around your wrist a couple of times with the strap and otherwise you'll be fine.

Be prepared for some lunatic driving in Poland and Russia, especially in Poland. No offence intended but Polish car drivers scare me on the main roads. They have a habit of heading towards you full speed in the centre of the road (which is the overtake lane) even if you are doing the same and you have to try to move in front of the lorry on your right before he/she hits you. Scary stuff!

Just outside Posdam in Poland there is a new toll-road on the way to Warsaw. Use it!! My experience is that it's very empty and cheap. One can travel a great distance in a short time. The condition of the roads is different in the east and west of Poland. Those connecting with cities like Berlin in the west tend to be in a better state than those in the east. Also be aware of horses on the road in the eastern part where they are used on farms more often that in the western half.

In Latvia, drive SLOW! There are enforced speed limits everywhere and police with laser/radar guns everywhere hiding in copses and sideroads. be careful with the speed. This means inside AND outside of the city. It may take forever to cross Latvia on empty country roads but you speed up and that'll be the time the police are waiting with the speed guns. Don't risk it.

Also, from Poland onwards be aware of 'border zones'. These are areas just before and after a border where an enforced slow speed limit applies. I have been caught by over-zealous police crossing the Polish - Lithuanian border and told to pay a fine which was clearly false. Some haggling reduced it down but there was no receipt and the money disappeared into the police pockets I am sure. Be careful and hide all your money except a small amount left in your wallet.

You'll also need to buy insurance I expect when in Lithuania. The 'green card' insuarance doesn't seem to be excepted. You can buy for all three Baltic countries or one at a time. It's not expensive and although your insurance may cover you I found it doesn't help trying to explain that to them.

The road you're taking across Latvia I have travelled. It might be worth heading to one of the border crossings on a less busy road into Russia than a main one but my friend and I were stuck on the border for 4 hours once while all was checked and papers stamped. This is where having your bike insurance and travel insurance in advance helps and I cannot stress this hard enough. The Russians love their paperwork. They always have going back centuries. It's not an old Soviet thing. Papers must be stamped and in the correct order. If you have someone who speaks Russian with you who can help then this would be useful because chances are the border guards do not or will not and will not go out of their way to help you. They love being unhelpful in my opinion. You might be lucky though. Everytime I have been back to Russia, something changes except the roads though. Infrastructure is improving but still too many roads with holes one can sink foundation pillars into.

Also note that the Russian Traffic Police have road stops on roads heading into and outside of cities. Slow down here but not so much to attract attention to yourself and give the police all the paperwork you have, bike insurance and visa etc. in Russian, if they stop you and request it. They are usually polite and salute first but not all are honest and be prepared for the odd bribe now and then. If you're friendly with them they will be with you. Again, never carry all your money in your wallet. Just a little bit. I usually travel with a thousand roubles max and then rest in plastic. There's about 50 roubles to the pound presently and has been for years. The rouble is very very stable.

The speed limit in Russia in theory is enforced but in practice, watch out for lunatics in big cars. The bigger the car, the bigger the arsehole inside is even truer in Russia as other countries. They 'own' the road and won't take too kindly to being reminded they do not. They come up at you are great spread, overtake on blind corners and generally act like, well idiots. I have seen Russian police with radar guns but not often. Best to judge the road conditions as your think.

When it comes to the border between Ukraine and Moldova be aware that there this area comes under the Trans-Dniester administration. They beleive themselves to be a seperate country from Moldova (and a very very old fashioned Soviet one too). I don't know how this will work with your passport. I don't beleive EU citizens need Moldovan visas but Trans-Dniester? You might want to check with the Moldovan Consular division in London there.

Again I wish I was going with you. Presently not working and have been looking for a trip to do like this for a while.

Marky

Loads of help

Thanks for all that Marky, all usfull information.
I am also unemployed at the moment :D being an old(ish) fart not likly to get employed ether. So thought I would do this must admit to being a little apprehensive about the Moscow to Hungary section and also finding places along the way to stop. Have lots of places I want to visit but suspect I will be doing a lot of the universal English (point and shout :rolleyes: ) as my Russian is just basic, please, thank you etc and will have a phrase book so just hope all is ok.
If you, or anyone else for that matter wants to ride along part of the route I will be quite happy to see you. Still not sure how to tackle the ride from Ukraine to Romania.

Hope to see Macca in Germany and another GSer in Villnius , then once I get to Croatia am meeting up with a mob from England on a bike holiday so the trip home will be with plenty of company.

Don’t suppose you have a street map of Velikie Luki about. :D

I checked a map. If you head into Moldova from the north from Ukraine then you can miss out Trans-Dniester so that bit is good. No messing around with unrecognised want-to-be states.

I don't know much about the Ukraine. I've spent no time there but although there are similarities to Russian, the language and the people are different, especially in the west which historically has more links with Poland and Lithuania than Russia.

Very much a case of finding bed and breakfast places on the way I expect. It'll not be very expensive. Perhaps if you took a tent you might be able to pitch somewhere along the way to save Euros.

Are you making this trip alone for the best part? I would get nervous about doing that outside of the EU.

Marky

I will be doing 90% of the trip solo, the idea is to hopefully post pictures and a writeup to get people intrested in donating. Had over 300 views on various forums but not much responce in the web site, I guess once I get under way there will be more intrest.
Will look at that way into Romania, sounds a better option. I have been told not to camp as I am solo, could be tricky. Yes, I am a little worried about being on my own but hopefully it will be ok, I have planned as much as I can and will just see how it goes.
Thanks for the information :thumb

I am very envious. Had you been going next month instead of this I would have been tempted to follow you, but I have an Open University exam this month and it takes a couple of weeks to get all the insurance and visas for Russia and Ukraine.

Ted
Best of luck with this mate. I've been spending quite a bit of time in Moscow recently and would not recommend riding a bike in the city anywhere near rush hour. I've never seen anything with two wheels in the city - push bike, moped, scooter, bike - nothing. Maybe it's the weather but I think it's cos there just isn't any room! The smallest gap and you'll bet there's a lada doing his best to squeeze through. Also keep off the central lane, this seems to be the sole preserve of big black mercedes S class's with blue lights.
Weekends is probably your best bet.
Other thing I noticed - US dollars work really well. It's difficult to cash in Rubles outside Russia so I'd take the bulk in dollars and change to local in small amounts as appropriate once you're there.
I'm expecting to be back there next Monday on business for a couple of weeks so drop me a pm and maybe we could hook up.

Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim. I have a hotel quite a way out to the south of the center but close to the metro so intend to park up and just use the metro to get about. And aiming to arrive on the sat afternoon as I am told its the best time as every one is heading out for the weekend. Taken Marky's advice and got my self a cover for the bike and will cover it and chain it up at the hotel car park (its supposed to be secure :rolleyes: ) Also may take the overnight train to St Petersburge and have a look, seem to be a better bet than riding there and back.
I have a stop at a mini hotel (whatever that is) in a town called Velikie Luki about 50/60 miles past the border on route from Riga. They said they would send a map but nothing yet. Cant find any maps or info so may just have to ride arround till I find it, could be a long night. Any suggestions as to finding a friendly english speaker to give me directions, or a russian Ato3 :D
Thanks for the info :thumb

The overnight trains between Moscow and Petersburg are very good. Used them a couple of times myself. You should definetly see Petersburg if you heading there. If you're then in the summer you might see me there lounging in a park eating the local ice cream (which is fantastic) :)

Jim's comment about US$ is a good point but I always rely on cash machines to withdraw cash rather than taking it into the country. I don't like to carry a lot of money around, hidden or otherwise. I have noticed Euro's become more common in Russia these days because one can get more Roubles from a Euro then a Dollar. I almost never enter the country with Euros or Dollars now and use the cash point machines once there instead. If someone knows you're carrying Dollars then the prices start to climb in my experience.

There are certainly more bikes in Petersburg than Moscow in my experience. Jim's comment about a lack of bikes in the capital is true. Can't remember having seen too many of them but given how Russian's drive I can't be surprised (Be prepaed for undertaking and overtaking). There are some though. bikeland.ru is a fairly large outfit and BMW have places in Russia too. See bmw-motorrad.ru/russian/world/dealers/ . You might be able to get a feel for riding in Russia if you sent them an email in English in advance. They might be able to help with some aspects you're not sure of.

btw. If you're heading through Vilnius in Lithuania, some of the local bike riders congregate in the evening in the old town centre, just near the Town Hall. If you park up there you might make a few more friends and it's a lovely place to stay. Very relaxed. Check out Uzipio, it's my favourite part of the city which promotes itself as independent of the rest of the country. National Day is April Fools Day. There's a nice bar/cafe/restuarant by the river overlooking the Orthodox cathedral. If you head outside of the city check out the nearby town of Trakai where a reconstructed medieval castle exists on a lake.

btw...Velikie Luki is in Russia in the Pskovska Oblast. You'l find the town website at velikieluki.ru. Some photos of the place is there but you might want to push the site through translate.ru to convert to English if your Russian is a bit scratchy. The Pskovska Oblast website has a page in Engish at http://www.pskov.ru/en/administrative_division/velikie_luki. if you travel along the M9 across the Russian border from Latvia then it's not that far into the country. Just a turn north but it'll be road-signed (in Russian of course) :).

Marky

Ted
Agree with Marky and sounds like you're already there - definitely better to spend time in St Pete than Moscow.

Never heard of mini hotels, while I thnk of it the ones I stay in charge everything in 'units' and then do a conversion at check out. Just be sure you understand how much a 'unit' is worth if it's the same where you're staying. Also prices vary from night to night - although I think this is just a Moscow thing in the big hotels.

I've got a call planned for tomorrow with my Russian colleagues, I'll ask them about English speaking contacts - you never know :nenau

Again, good tip from Marky about the cash machines, I generally get cash in advance as it's all corporate funded so I don't suffer the commision and exchange rate variance charges (lucky me :thumb )

If you take a taxi expect to get hammered vs what locals will be charged - although once you do the conversion to £s you'll realise it's still bloody cheap compared to UK taxis. I remember being charged 500 rubles for a journey which only cost my Russian colleague 100 - then realised 500 is only a tenner and for a ride that took best part of an hour I figured it wasn't worth arguing - I guess we both felt we'd got a result :thumb

Ted, sounds like the trip of a lifetime.... since my teens, I have always wanted and 'adventure' to see Russia. Some day soon I hope, (big 40 later this year, so might be able to push my luck)
Marky, you sound like an absolute expert....... sort it out.... lets see you putting one together. There are so many visas, pitfalls and considerations, the average Joe Bloggs would need to bring suitably qualified guide like yourself. If the dates suited, I would be a definate runner
Stevie

I lived in Russia for a few years and have been back and forth many times since. My ex was Russian, I speak basic Russian and I my first MA was in 19c - 20c East European / Russian History. I have also travelled around the north east of Europe quite a lot as I love the place. So in that respect I bow yes, I am, but this is exactly the type of trip I have alway wanted to do. Sadly had I known in advance of this I would have tried to come along but an OU exam and job hunting is getting in my way :-(

I am hopeful of a trip to the Baltics. At least to Vilnius through Warsaw and Berlin if anyone is up for that but I guess that's for another thread. In the meantime, still envious for this one...

markrich said:
Sadly had I known in advance of this I would have tried to come along but an OU exam and job hunting is getting in my way :-(

I am hopeful of a trip to the Baltics. At least to Vilnius through Warsaw and Berlin if anyone is up for that but I guess that's for another thread. In the meantime, still envious for this one...

Marky. Would have made it a lot easier to plan and may be a bit safer to have you along, specialy as you speak the language. Just keep your eye on the forums started posting for info in Jan on the north west section ;)
There seems to be a lot of intrest in this sort of trip so bound to be another along shortly, :thumb
Will try to post pictures and stuff on route, may be a few posts for help and information so keep an eye open. only a week to go :yikes :help

You could always donate :D

I wasn't really a devotee of this site previously. My red 2001 650GS was stolen in January two weeks after a fell off it and broke my foot and four weeks since I passed my test so I wasn't best pleased as you can imagine. I now have a shiny new black 2004 650GS which I bought over the Easter holiday and I am hopeful to travel around on it soon.

Didn't pick up on your thread until too late which is a big shame for me else I would have come along in a shot!

Just need to make some plans to do a trip on my own to the Baltics at least. :)

Marky

Shame, hope the foot is ok. I have had a couple of 650s great bikes better for this sort of trip in many ways (easy to pick up for one) and can take some serious abuse. Just look at the ones on the Offroad Course. :mmmm

Look out for desperate pleas for help :eek: on this site

Back
Top Bottom