Truing BMW tubeless spoke wheel

mikyh

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the proccess of truing my front wheel, and I'm puzzled.
I've built dozens of bicycle wheels (ex racer and coach) and a few motorcycle wheels, and I thought that I will be able to tackle these cross patterned wheels.
But till now it defies logic. I even built a computerized model of the lacing behaviour but it does not behave the same.
I need urgent help here.

Please, anyone who knows something and can share his knowledge, I need it badly.

TIA, Miky

Why do you say that the layout doesn't make sense, out of interest? I am looking to get my wheels rejigged and am interested to hear of anything unusual about them. At face value they seem to be fairly logical, but I am the first to put my hands up to being totally ignorant on these matters.

Thanks!

I did contact Ricardo - I'm waiting for a response.

Regarding the wheel behaviour -
As I did a lot of wheels in the past, I asumed that I will manage this as well (and no doupt Iwill in the end, or I will not have a bike). There's a Shimano bicycle wheel that has a crossed spokes pattern, but still it behaves normally, as the rim is narrow and the hub comparatively wide.
So I thought , well, the direction of the pull of a spoke will be the direction of the movement in the rim, right? not so.
So I built a mini simulation on my I-deas CAD software, with some systematic constraints and got to the conclution that it behaves completely the other way - direction of the spoke's tension is opposite to the movement of the rim.
But still it doesnt behave as I thought and I cant get the wheel straight. There's something I'm doing wrong and I did not find it yet.
but I will!!!! and than I'll let you know

Miky

Thank you Ricardo!

Ricardo has sent me a paper he had put together describing what should be done with these wheels.

The main issue with them is that one must work with tiny steps, as because of the crossed pattern the rim behaves in an exagerated manner.
So after reading the paper twice I was back in the garage working on the wheel and within 30 minutes I'm down to about 0.5 mm radial deviation and 3-4 lateral deviation. I guess I will need another couple of hours to get it under the BMW specified tolerances.

So again, Thanks a lot to Ricardo - you're the man!!!

Miky

Back
Top Bottom