Pyramid Huggers (cheap)

Paul Young

Under-used member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you want a cheap hugger, telephone Pyramid Plastics on 01427 810473 and see if they have any seconds. I just got one delivered and I'm b****red if I can see why it's a second. They are also the new profile which doesn't snag on the underside of the rear mudguard.

How much?

£38!!!!! (including VAT & delivery)

£38 is pretty darn good Paul.

I paid £98 for mine from Motorworks.

By the way, Motorworks, if you're reading this, try replying to customers enquiries.

We're who pay your wages ... at least for GS parts orders !!

Alex B.

(not very happy Motorworks customer !!)

PAUL

WERE THE HUGGER'S MADE PLASTIC OR FIRBERGLASS? + HOW IS IT STANDING-UP ?? SEEM'S A GOOD PRICE,DID THIS INCLUDE FITTING-KIT???

It's black fibreglass with a high gloss black finish and came with the fixing kit (two extended caliper bolts and allen bolts/cups). It looked naff alongside the crap catcher on the back so the crap catcher has been removed. I fitted it on Friday and went to Nottingham on Saturday morning. Rained all the way there but the hugger did a good job. I wondered if taking off the crap catcher would cause any muck to fly up onto my back but nothing has happened so far.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the result. Without the panniers on, the bike looks much better with the hugger.

Paul.

Likewise, I've found the hugger really effective - even at £98.

It does look better when the panniers are off - it gives the rear end of the GS a more "funky" look - almost like a piece of 2-wheeled road-art. The spokes look good too if shiny, but otherwise I think red alloys really set it off !! That does look pretty funky.

Glad to help, mate.

Anyone want another tip? My fork legs took a battering last winter, which BMW have kindly sorted for me with two brand spankers. However, I want to protect them in future so I bought a pair of carbon fibre fork guards....

http://www.racespec.co.uk/Shop Final/en-gb/dept_27.html

They are just the right length @ 285mm and you need to ask for ones to fit a 52mm fork leg so phone them rather than ordering online. They are designed to protect the upper part of upside down forks so fit the chunky bottoms of my GS perfectly. They are also incredibly light and rock hard.

Cheers for now,
Paul.

Attachments

• cafes.mps
    253 bytes · Views: 193
PAUL.

THANK'S FOR THE TIP WITH THE HUGGER..... ALSO LIKE THE LOOK OF THE CARBON FORK PROTECTOR'S, AGAIN PAUL HOW DO THESE FIT TO THE FORK-LEG'S?????? MANY THANK'S.......

Hugger

The hugger sounds pretty good.
Any pics around of what it looks like?

Also, will it fit the R1100GS?

I cannot think why it wouldn't but thought I would check.

Jon :beer:

Farout.......... the fork protectors are open at the back and open up just enough to go around the fork leg. Once on, they hold themselves in place just by their own tension although cable ties would be more scroat proof.

Jon......... I don't think the same hugger will fit an 1100 as the swingarm is longer. MPS list different part no's so I assume they are a different design, sorry. Why not call them and ask if they have any seconds for 1100's?

Paul

Any chance of a photo of the whole bike, to how those fork protectors look in the context of the overall bike. How much were they? I had a quick look at the site and saw some items for £28.95 which seems a bit cheap for something that size in cf so I dont think I was looking at the right thing.

Have you tried removing them?? ie could you scratch the forks. I suppose the only moisture or crud that could get in is going to be at the back.

Good idea Paul, show us that photo and the price and I might just do it.

GS Club UK website.............the home of good ideas.

Big Gordy

Big G,

it's too late to get a decent piccie of the bike just now but I thought it best to let you know.......£28.95 was correct. P&P £2.95 extra I think.

As for removing them, I took them off once to T cut them as they arrived slightly scuffed. Couldn't leave them like that so 5mins with a cloth and they shone up nicely. They won't damage the forks on mine as I have already covered the blue part between the wheel spindle and fork bridge with clear plastic film from Hein Gericke (£4.95/sheet - does both forks). They grip the bottom part tightest. I'll try & take some shots and see how they turn out.

HTH,
Paul.

OK Guys, here goes......This is the close up from behind (ooer missus!!!!)

Attachments

• jnrgs3.jpg
    jnrgs3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:
Here's the overall shot:

Attachments

• jnrgs5.jpg
    jnrgs5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 683
Jon

Someone's posted a picture on the For Sale section and they also have models for the 1100 too. I've just ordered mine !

rear hugger

Hello all, i am a new member to the club and would just like to say
how privalaged to be a part of an ever increasing awsome club.
I would also like to add that i too purchased a rear hugger from pyramid and within days of fitting the top right has all been scuffed/scratched. I will certanley give pyramid a call, but can anybody tell me the best way /suspension set up to alliviate this happening again.
Andy.

Hi Andy & welcome.

I would phone Pyramid and complain. They will probably replace yours for one of the new style ones. These have been reprofiled so that they don't catch on the underside of the rear mudguard. Otherwise, return it to the supplier for a refund (Sale of Goods Act - "not suitable for the purpose....") and contact Pyramid for one of their "seconds" at £38.

HTH,
Paul.

I rang Pyramid today (2 July), but they have sold out of seconds for the 1150GS (apparently, someone has posted their phone number on a website somewhere and they have had a run on them!!!).

They have plenty of perfect huggers - at list price!:(

Back
Top Bottom