Reflections on MapSource 4.20 and other experiences..

AdamZ

Just completed 2,750 to Almeria and back.

1) If you are going southern Spain get the latest version. There are a number of new (well within the last two years) motorways and they bisect and disrupt some of the N roads meaning you are led up the garden path and the poor little machine gets totally confused. Left me in some interesting places....

2) Why does the SPIII decide to:
a) Decide to recalculate the route just as you are coming to a complex junction
b) Zoom out to 40km view in mid town when it the track you are attempting to follow on the screen does not match road
c) Decide that it wants to put a little circle thing just when you need complex directions
d) Decide to lose satellite reception in the middle of a town 50 to 60 metres from your destination which depends on you making the correct turn or you will have to go round the entire town again to get back

3) Southern Spain only seemed to pick up two satellites with reasonable signals and about 3 others with fluctating signals

4) In maqpsource you can fiddle the speeds of different road types to push you down interesting paths but the recalculate on the SPIII does not have that capability.

5) Could not make the diversion work and get back onto track

6) Dont always follow the instructions but look at the map as occaisonally it gets left and right mixed up....

Actually, the beast did very, very well. 2775 miles on the GS and 550km in a hire car without the need of any hard copy map.
:D ;)

Maybe:

2a, the road didn't match the GPS position and so it tries to find itself again.

2b, autozoom is switched on? Turn it off and the only scale changes are on the "next turn" views.

2c, as 2a. The circle if I remember correctly is roughly where it thinks it is. The GPS is not accurate to inches, and uses the road layout to mathematically make itself a bit more accurate (I think).

It is rather annoying that you can't adjust the speeds in the unit only on the PC

BTW how did you find the speed settings relating to the average speed on the roads, assuming that you had the defaults in?

John Armstrong said:
Maybe:

2a, the road didn't match the GPS position and so it tries to find itself again.

2b, autozoom is switched on? Turn it off and the only scale changes are on the "next turn" views.

2c, as 2a. The circle if I remember correctly is roughly where it thinks it is. The GPS is not accurate to inches, and uses the road layout to mathematically make itself a bit more accurate (I think).

It is rather annoying that you can't adjust the speeds in the unit only on the PC

BTW how did you find the speed settings relating to the average speed on the roads, assuming that you had the defaults in?

Speed settings were pretty good actually, most days I had on road average of around 50mph but that included a few bursts at 70 plus to catch up for my dialences

I will switch off auto zoom in future and give it a try.

I think that the circle indicates that it has lost some triangulation and the circle indicates the degree of error being encountered

Adam,

>a) Decide to recalculate the route just as you are coming to a >complex junction

I set the Off-route recalculation so that the SP3 asks me if I want to recalculate. This way if I go off route, I can choose to get back on route at which point the SP3 takes up the directions again.

The prompt that comes up when you go off route you ingnore which it takes as a don't recalculate the route so doesn't need you to press the enter key etc.

Cheers,
Brian

VFRman said:
Adam,

>a) Decide to recalculate the route just as you are coming to a >complex junction

I set the Off-route recalculation so that the SP3 asks me if I want to recalculate. This way if I go off route, I can choose to get back on route at which point the SP3 takes up the directions again.
Brian,
Thanks, new it had to be something simple like that!
Adam

Back
Top Bottom