Whale watching on Bilboa/Portsmouth Ferry?

scud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've booked a return trip from Spain on the Bilboa ferry on the 30th July this year.

When I was chatting to a mate they said, they'd heard you can get to see Whales on that particular ferry trip. Is this true? because the other half has got quite excited over the prospect, yet I can find anything about this.

If it is the case, does anyone know whereabouts they're likely to be seen? (apart from in the water! :rolleyes: ) are they nearer Spain? halfway?

If this is a load of rubbish, I can tell her ladyship now, to stop her going on about it for the next 3 months!

Cheers

We have done the trip twice, May and September whilst to and from Morrocco.

On both occasions there were loads of dolphins to be seen and also whales on both trips in Bay of Biscay.

Sightings were at a fair distance and were mostly plumes of spray from blow holes. I can't remember what type of whales but there is loads of info from crew when sightings occur....

Did that crossing last August saw loads of dolphins and a Minky whale.Even managed to get sunburnt pretty bad :eek:

Attachments

• dolphin.jpg
    dolphin.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 147
It's true!

Some take it real serious. Not recommended if you're seasick.
33472245-L.jpg

Lectures onboard too.
33472250-L.jpg

Yep, they have an officer onboard who is a marine biologist and conservationist and he manages the cetacian watch during the voyage. He gives lectures and presentations which are well worth attending and whenever whales or dolphins are sighted announcements are made over the ships tannoy. :thumb

You can see Whales, and your mates are pulling your chain. :D I've seen one myself on the Santander crossing. Tell her not to get too excited though, it was about 600 yds away, and we only saw it for a few seconds, but even the smallest bit of excitement is welcome on a 24 hour crossing. :eek

Lord Snooty said:
Yep, they have an officer onboard who is a marine biologist and conservationist and he manages the cetacian watch during the voyage. He gives lectures and presentations which are well worth attending and whenever whales or dolphins are sighted announcements are made over the ships tannoy. :thumb

Last time we did the crossing the he was a she. There is a lecture on the outward and inward journey. Both are worth checking out. You need to be fairly committed to be on deck for as long as the true officionado, but it can be worthwhile. Have seen lots of dolphins, and think I saw a whale on one occasion. Mind you I had just had lunch at the POSH bar which is just outside the lecture theatre! Perhaps too much Rioja.

Back
Top Bottom