Unchained across the USA

Lamble

Reaction score
Having now had two weeks to establish the new home here near Seattle, it's itchy feet time. I've a GS waiting in Atlanta that I'm flying over to pick up on Saturday. I'll then be taking a circuitous route back to Seattle avoiding freeways, but taking in National Parks, AMA recommended routes (Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap etc...). To add spice I've imposed a ban on using any chains, McD, Costa, Starbucks, KFC, BK or any of the hotel chains. I'm also steering clear of cities, so a 3000 miler is now 5500 miles.
I've started a blog at:

www.roughguidesintouch.com/lamble

and you can email me at
lamble1@comcast.net

It would be great to hear from some of you, a man can get mighty lonesome out there on the prairie.

Hope the Essex Maldon meet is thriving.

Looking forward to seeing you trip photos, good luck :)

Have great trip.
3 of us are on our way around the world and are currently shacked up with a friend in Boston. From here we are heading up to Canada then Alaska for August, then back down again etc.....
We have only been in America for 3 weeks and the hospitality we have been shown is incredible, we are all gob smacked.
For example, we rolled into Woodstock a few days ago at about 1932hrs, i rode across to a police car to ask for a camp site, whilst i was doing this a chap and his family pulled up next to the others and asked what we were up to, we explained about our trip and he invited us to stay at his in a guest apartment. What an amazing fella.
Mark Braunstein, our host, also gave a book called Anonymous, which is a members book for BMW riders. In there it gives numbers of people who are willing to help travellers with a variety of things, accomodation, work shop for maintenance and so on.
This is going to be worth its weight in gold for us in North America, if you can lay your hands on a copy it will be worth it.
The other thing that we have done is hit a community through Horizons Unlimited. That is well worth it to.

Ride safe

Harps... just checked out your website.. superb route.. in fact the exact opposite of the route I want to do apart from I want to try to do a loop into Africa too.

I'll keep a check on your travels and photos for sure!

Pete.

Harps said:
Have great trip.
3 of us are on our way around the world and are currently shacked up with a friend in Boston. From here we are heading up to Canada then Alaska for August, then back down again etc.....
We have only been in America for 3 weeks and the hospitality we have been shown is incredible, we are all gob smacked.
For example, we rolled into Woodstock a few days ago at about 1932hrs, i rode across to a police car to ask for a camp site, whilst i was doing this a chap and his family pulled up next to the others and asked what we were up to, we explained about our trip and he invited us to stay at his in a guest apartment. What an amazing fella.
Mark Braunstein, our host, also gave a book called Anonymous, which is a members book for BMW riders. In there it gives numbers of people who are willing to help travellers with a variety of things, accomodation, work shop for maintenance and so on.
This is going to be worth its weight in gold for us in North America, if you can lay your hands on a copy it will be worth it.
The other thing that we have done is hit a community through Horizons Unlimited. That is well worth it to.

Ride safe

Very humbling, kinda restores my faith in human nature a bit :eek: :bow

It certainly does. I think it has to happen to you so you can really appreciate it, it is hard to express our apprecaition in words.

Stateside

Free gumbo, free T shirts, free chunks of foam, friendliness everywhere. The people are splendid, the scenery impossible to capture...eyes being tightly closed in some circumstances.
I'll try and track down the BMW book.

I hear Boston's a little wet at the moment.

I've only encountered rain once, the rest has been sunshine all the way, with only altitude causing the odd shiver.

Y' enjoy y'owl ridin' y' 'ear.

This southern thangs a catch'n.

Lamble
Unchained across the USA
Read the latest at:

Enjoy the American Southern hospitality, I did for 20 years ........ :thumb
Michaels Restaurant, Chapel Hill, Raleigh N.C. early on a Sunday morning, has the entire spectrum of great friendly bikers.

Over shot or under estimated?

:nenau
My original route from Atlanta to Seattle was calculated quite accurately as being 5500 miles. At 7800 miles I find myself in St George Utah.
There's just so much to see.
I'm on schedule time wise, in fact I'm ahead. I'm not sure what that says about my riding style.
With the heatwave 100+degrees for the last 8 consecutive days, there seems to be a mid day wind issue. The land heats up, hot air rises and cooler (ha!) air rushes in, but it always seems to come from the left side...why is that. It's knocked cruising speeds down considerably, as I don't want to end up being just another roadside shrine. Being above 6000 feet doesn't help. It seems on a plateau you get sudden gusts, in passes at least you know where they'll come from.

Just as you adjust your angle of lean to compensate, along comes a 12 wheeler and it bleedin' well straightens you up again.
Still at least there's no rain or snow.
Tried to get a flight over Zion NP, no joy, so a wasted day.
Nevada tomorrow.

Still unchained!

Unchained Across the USA

Hi Steve glad your having such a great time (very jealous).

Rest assured that the Maldon meets continue to thrive.

:)

Missing you already

Tricky said:
Hi Steve glad your having such a great time (very jealous).

Rest assured that the Maldon meets continue to thrive.

:)

So you don't need me to come back and help make up the numbers?

Lamble said:
So you don't need me to come back and help make up the numbers?

I can see a new unchained melody returning you from west to east being composed ;)

Tricky said:
I can see a new unchained melody returning you from west to east being composed ;)

I reached the Pacific Coast in Oregon yesterday. If let me know when the next Maldon meet up is and I could just keep going West, that should get me to Heybridge and I know my way from there!

Unchained, episode 1 finished.

10018 miles, 47 days, 45 minutes of rain in total, 7 hours of sandstorms, endless memories and no lasting scars.
Got back on Thursday 29th June. Now all I have to do is, work out why I did it and what I've learned.
I'll also be taking Unchained to different locations and applications such as an Unchained website to log, rate and support independent ventures/establishments. Keep watching.

Back
Top Bottom