SPIII or Quest

(RIP) Perryhill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a man with an eye for a bargain (some would say careful with his money) I'd be interested in views of the of the GS Community on whether a Quest 1 or a GPIII is better value given both are available for less than £200. I know the Quest can't be operated in gloves but is there any difference in the way they operate?
Are most of the routes posted on the site compatible with both?

Thanks as always

Oh no, not again

Seriously Perry I think you should try the 'Search' facility first. You will find this subject has been covered over and over again :mmmm ;)

To cut it short though - if you want an up to date, waterproof, lightweight and versatile GPS you can use on and off the bike, in the car and anywhere else - plus you want to be able to plan routes on your PC - the buy a Quest :thumb

To answer the questions:

- Yes, the routes are compatible.
- No, there are no important differences in how they operate.
- Both can be operated with glowes on.

The Quest1 gives far better value for the money if both comes with the same map version, etc.

If the alternatives where a Quest1 for £200 and a SP3 for £100 I would still go for the Quest1.

:type

try getting a refurbished spIII its half the price of a brand new one. and what more its better than the quest. the quest is TOOOO small!! its only $329.99 online.

oktomann said:
try getting a refurbished spIII its half the price of a brand new one. and what more its better than the quest.

No it's not :spitfire

The SPIII is a discontinued unit :eek:

It is out of date, it is slow, it has very little memory, it has been superceded - it is an ex-GPS :rolleyes: :D

You can pick up the Quest 1 when it is on promotion brand new for the same price as a refurbished SPIII. When you are following a route it zooms in when you need to make a turn, negating the need for a large screen. It is lighter and more versatile. What more can I say :nenau

I was seriously looking at the Quest, but simply couldn't use it without my reading glasses.

if this isn't a problem to you, then the Quest is probably the better bet, but if you need the larger screen the £150 SP111's seems to do everything needed.

No it's not the latest greatest, but it works with the latest maps.
No it's not got the biggest memory, but that's work aroundable!
No it's not the fastest.
Tom Tom's don't do what i want,

BUT,

given the price difference to anything that performs as well as the SP111, with a big screen for blind people, there wasn't a decision to be made in my case!

walti said:
I was seriously looking at the Quest, but simply couldn't use it without my reading glasses.

What bit of the screen can't you see, the font is the same size as the SPIII and the thickness of the lines used for the roads is the same size? The Quest screen is clearer, brighter and suffers less from glare.

I've had both and the screen isn't an issue.

I needed my glasses on to be able to see the screen when it was demo'd to me.... obviously a poor demo, and it's too late now! decision made SP111 bought. :(

Nothing wrong with the SP3 - you don't have to have the latest technology for it to work. Similarly don't get hung up on thinking you must have the latest maps - the older ones take less memory and generally (in my experience comparing CN5 and 7) work just as well.

I believe the Quest is "obselete" now too, given that it's been superceded by the Quest 2 :)

But if you can get a Quest cheap (ie not the RRP of £300) then it is undoubtedly very good value for money.

A tip I picked up from one of Fanum's posts :thumb

If screen size is an issue on the Quest then try turning off the data fields on the right hand side of the display. You can still have it autozoom in for turns but you get a bigger 'picture' so to speak.

walti said:

I'm a bit concerned that your eyesight is so poor you can't see the screen on a Quest but you are happy to be in charge of a motorvehicle :eek:

With the voice mode on I hardly have to look at my Quest. With a decent ram mount it's more than close enough to read unless you're half blind :D

Mutley1150 said:
I'm a bit concerned that your eyesight is so poor you can't see the screen on a Quest but you are happy to be in charge of a motorvehicle :eek:

My short distance vision is such that I can't actually read my Quest screen in map mode and just guess at what it's displaying. I also can't read the numbers on the speedo (so it's useful to set the Quest to just display the speed:) ) but my long distance vision is excellent (just had an eye test) and I have no problems riding or driving.

Perry:

That's a real tough question for anyone to give you a precise and objective answer to, because it's kind of like asking "What's better, an orange or a sunny day?"

The obvious differences between the two units are that the SP III is bigger and has a larger screen. But - the Quest is newer and probably works faster. Also, if you are buying a SP III, it will be a used or refurb unit, whereas if you are buying a Quest, you have the possibility of buying a new unit.

There's just too many variables there for anyone to give you a definitive answer. As others have suggested, browse through the forum here to learn more about the strengths and weaknesses of each. Personally, I would lean towards the Quest, simply because it is newer and faster, but I can't say that is necessarily the best decision for your needs. Let's just say that if after evaluating both units carefully, you still can't make up you mind, you will probably be better off getting the newer unit.

The comments made about vision (above) are well worth considering. If you have good vision and you are under 40, it's probably not an issue. If you are 45 or older, you might find the small screen size of the Quest to be a problem. Although my vision is 20/20 corrected, I would not want to use a small screen GPSR such as a Quest on a regular basis. FYI I'm 51.

Michael

PS: For the information of those posting here who are obviously well under 40 (Hi there Mutley you spazz... :spitfire ) the vision problem that everyone encounters past about 42 to 45 years of age is that the muscles in the eyeball lose their elasticity, and it becomes progressivly more difficult to rapidly change focus from looking at the GPSR (typically 60 cm away from you) to looking at the roadway (focusing at infinity). This is why the small screen GPSRs are not the preferred choice of older riders. Our revenge, though, is that we can usually afford to buy the nice fancy large screen ones... :D

I've been using the SP3 since it came out and find that it's fine. Used it on several trips around Europe and yes it is a little slow to 'recalculate' when off route but hey why not slow down and wait. Having said that it has never been overly long in putting me back on track. Updated 'Mapsource' can be downloaded and if the memory card isn't big enough do as I did and pick up a cheap extra one off ebay. For the money they are costing at the moment they are good enough

Mutley1150 said:

Just for your peice of mind, - I can't recall what it's called, but as you get older the minimum distance your eyes will focus to gets further away. My arms are now not quite long enough to hold somthing so I can comfortably read it, so the SP111 mounted above the clocks is ideal, just past arms length and perfectly readable. My vision is fine, I am neither long sighted nor short sighted, just short of focus! Reading glasses make my arms long enough and I can focus down to about 6".

I found that holding the Quest at the distance I needed it to see, I couldn't read the display as presented to me, while I could the SP111, hence my (probably wrong) decision.

By the way Pan European....

Are you in Zurich at the moment? I'm going over there to meet up with some friends in June (not fixed a date yet) and intend to explore a few alpine passes while I'm there...

Fancy meeting up for a drink or a ride out to the Alps? (or both!)

Hi Walti:

I am in Nairobi right now, and am leaving for Mogadishu (Somalia) in a few hours. Hopefully I will be back in Europe around the beginning of June, but it's always difficult for me to predict my work schedule in advance. May I trouble you to check back with me a few days before you expect to be in Zurich? I usually don't have 'private messages' turned on, so, just throw up a flare to me in any thread that you see I am active in at that time.

Best regards,

Michael

Back
Top Bottom