RUPP's still legal?

BillWright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The following was posted by a TRF member, and may have originated from Wiltshire CC. If it is correct it would mean we have a slight reprieve in our choice of lanes. No doubt it would also have the added bonus of pissing off some ramblers.

The legislation regarding the blanket reclassification of remaining RUPP’s as ‘restricted byways’ is under Section 47 of the CROW Act 2000, which has not yet come into force. RUPP’s do therefore still remain and this is why there is confusion about how the NERC Act will affect byway applications on RUPP’s. NERC only refers to routes which are presently footpaths, bridleways and restricted byways. It makes no mention of RUPP’s, perhaps anticipating that Section 47 of the CROW Act would be in place by the time NERC was implemented on 02/05/06, but that Section of CROW has not yet been implemented.

With regards to driving on RUPP’s, the only conclusive rights that we can say exist on RUPP’s are bridleway rights, with or without additional vehicular rights, depending upon the evidence. A person driving on a RUPP can use historical evidence as a defence, if they have a full knowledge of the evidence and can demonstrate that they believed they were using the right of way in this manner “as of right”, based upon their knowledge of the evidence.

why is everything in the UK so fkin complicated, obtuse, ill-defined and unclear.

seems theres a way round everything, a loophole to be exploited, a by-law that got missed, a prosecution that can be challenged.

why isn't it black and white ?

motomartin said:

I'm sorry, we're not allowed to use that phrase any longer. It offends the Human Rights Act confering equal representation to people of other colours - yellow (Chinese), brown (Asian), red (Russian) and blue (Scottish).

It's a Blair-induced nanny-state minefield we tread.

motomartin said:
why is everything in the UK so fkin complicated, obtuse, ill-defined and unclear.

seems theres a way round everything, a loophole to be exploited, a by-law that got missed, a prosecution that can be challenged.

Because the people who make the laws are either incompetent or acting out of self interest? Or, if you want another theory, so that there's always an obscure law they can "do" you with.

Nice 'n' Fat said:
Just don't stop if challenged :dabone

pleed ignorance and tell them you have paid to have the bike taxed as a bicycle ...let them see your tax disk .....works everytime (so far) :dabone

Had a rather depressing conversation with someone from Somerset County Council today.

I called to clarify the position re RUPPs in Somerset.
She informed me that as of May 2nd all RUPPs in Somerset have been downgraded and motorcycles and cars have no legal right over them now.

We had a chat about the likelyhood of anyone actually stopping you riding a small RUPP in the middle of no-where which she aggreed was slim, however my reason for the enquiry was to establish the rights of the Quantock hills as they now have a Police community support officer paid for by the Quantocks wardens employed to patrol the area.

The Quantocks Hills have NO legal rights of way over them now.
She said that as the "Great road" over the top was an important route that the application by the TRF may be looked at quicker. I asked in her opinion how long that may take and she said "a couple of years!"

They currently have over 200 applications by the TRF to upgrade these routes in Somerset to BOATs and one can only imagine how long they are going to take to get these done.

How sad it is that for what ever reason, what must be hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money is being spent buggering about with this.

I for one have no intention of stopping riding these RUPPs in Somerset and when out on the Quantocks will take a small pair of binoculars for looking ahead for wardens.

Can anyone one with any greater knowledge on these matters give any advise on what defence (if we have any) if ever stopped and challenged.

Jim

Does anyone kow if it is a legal requirement to display a numberplate when on a BOAT or RUPP?

Xray3 said:
Does anyone kow if it is a legal requirement to display a numberplate when on a BOAT or RUPP?

yes, it has to be road legal

On a BOAT yes it is.

According to Somerset county council there are no RUPPs anymore.

However the last time I went off road I got a very muddy number plate very quickly.

£s and hours..

Trippy said:
How sad it is that for what ever reason, what must be hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money is being spent buggering about with this.Jim

And what about the individuals who's own money has been spent trying to keep the routes open, routes that often feature in 'ford runs' or 'off road days' on this site?

Who are the TRF, what's a UCR, a RUPP, NERC, what the feck's that?
But hey, great weekend on the fords!
Make the most of them, as we're losing!
Wake up, the fighters need your help!
Timpo.

timolgra said:
yes, it has to be road legal
Tim the law also states that the letters etc must be clearly legible, but it's a bugger trying to keep all that mud off them, personally I would clean them when I got the bike home and wouldn't be causing an obstruction to others :D

Under NERC all RUPPS were downgraded to 'Restricted Byway' status. In other words if it was a RUPP and no one submitted a claim with proof for reclassifying it as a Byway then it can no longer be ridden/driven and you lend yourself open to prosecution if found on these lanes :nono

I've noticed that quite a few RUPP signs have been replaced by Restricted Byway signs. I don't intend to have a conversation with any rambling TWAT over RB's because I don't intend to stop. BOLLOX to em :spitfire

Anarchy, yummy!!!

Nice 'n' Fat said:
Under NERC all RUPPS were downgraded to 'Restricted Byway' status. In other words if it was a RUPP and no one submitted a claim with proof for reclassifying it as a Byway then it can no longer be ridden/driven and you lend yourself open to prosecution if found on these lanes :nono

I've noticed that quite a few RUPP signs have been replaced by Restricted Byway signs. I don't intend to have a conversation with any rambling TWAT over RB's because I don't intend to stop. BOLLOX to em :spitfire

All is not lost, as there is a small clause cutting some slack....

Timpo said:
Wake up, the fighters need your help!
Timpo.

Is the TRF the bunch to join if you want to help fight these changes and put a few quid in by taking a membership?

User groups.

TRF, CRAG-UK, GLASS, LARA
Plenty to go with, all campaigning towards the same goals.
It's a shame we need to, but we do, unless we want to kiss goodbye to a part of our motorcycling pastime.
T.

Trippy said:
Had a rather depressing conversation with someone from Somerset County Council today.

I called to clarify the position re RUPPs in Somerset.
She informed me that as of May 2nd all RUPPs in Somerset have been downgraded and motorcycles and cars have no legal right over them now.

We had a chat about the likelyhood of anyone actually stopping you riding a small RUPP in the middle of no-where which she aggreed was slim, however my reason for the enquiry was to establish the rights of the Quantock hills as they now have a Police community support officer paid for by the Quantocks wardens employed to patrol the area.

The Quantocks Hills have NO legal rights of way over them now.
She said that as the "Great road" over the top was an important route that the application by the TRF may be looked at quicker. I asked in her opinion how long that may take and she said "a couple of years!"

They currently have over 200 applications by the TRF to upgrade these routes in Somerset to BOATs and one can only imagine how long they are going to take to get these done.

How sad it is that for what ever reason, what must be hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money is being spent buggering about with this.

I for one have no intention of stopping riding these RUPPs in Somerset and when out on the Quantocks will take a small pair of binoculars for looking ahead for wardens.

Can anyone one with any greater knowledge on these matters give any advise on what defence (if we have any) if ever stopped and challenged.

Jim
well, but if the TFR have put the claims in on all these rupps, then that means they can be ridden until the claim is adjudicated....I think!

I just hope that any non-law abiding types that would normally ride a C90 across a bit of rough ground or green lane go out and buy a minimoto for use on tarmac instead, then go riding it through those decent law abiding rambling type neighbourhoods of an evening. :spitfire

Selfish arses now have the countryside to themselves, well themselves and the ever growing fox population anyway.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em or leave. Roll on my emigration to Australia, please God let it happen, zillions of Km of land to ride on and not many ramblers (except the Abos).

Its interesting that many people who have been happily riding lanes legally for many years are now openly declaring there intention to do it illegally - another triumph of legislation over good sense and responsible use.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom