Calling all Aussie GS'rs

HOGDAWG

I wonder if any of our Aussie mates can help out. I'm looking for general information of GS'ing in Australia. Prices of GS's - 1150/1200's costs of insurance any other info I may need to know about biking there. I'm trying to emmigrate and want to know how easy is it to get a bike on a student visa?

Sensible answers preferred but if you want to talk drivel and pomme bash...Go for it!! :D

Also what's the likliehood of riding from Perth to Sydney? :rolleyes:

Wot? Prices of new bikes or secondhand? Secondhand bikes tend to have more miles than pommie ones - it is a bigger country and we have better weather (sorry about that).

Secondhand - www.bikepoint.com.au http://www.tradingpost.com.au/ That will get you started.

The visa - only lets you into the country. Buying bikes requires money - no visa ... unless your talking about the card issued by a bank?

Riding from Perth to Sydney is possible ... what way do you want to go?

All tar? Half dirt?

Up north?
Throught the centre?
Or mostly south?

You have about 5 main choices ....

pretty much what Frank said,

if you want a bike as soon as you get here dealerships are probably best, also be prepared to travel to see / get a bike.

You think you do that in the UK - its further over here (at least where I live any way)

Hay Ewe

An 1150Adv will go for about $15k upwards a 1200 $17k up

You will find a lot of the 'Aussies" on this forum are Expats so you should find info on emigrating from them (its been 18 years for me since I came over)

Bikes seem to be more expensive here but insurance is cheaper (I pay about $600 fully comp for a 46 year old rating 1)

Further to Franks links have a look here

http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/sear...elID=186&minPrice=&maxPrice=&state=&x=68&y=18

Syd to Perth - be great to do it but as said before a hell of a long way

Good Luck

Cheers Mike

Should not have any problem buying a bike with your Visa. The referances you have been given cover well the second hand market, I cannot imagine there is the quantity for sale over here.
Perth to Sydney!! not only is it a "long way" it is through (whilst peacful and serene even spiritual) a lot of boring country and the roads tend to be monotomous. Once again it would "depend on the route" but prepare yourself to be bored some days.

ope to seeya ova ere maete.

Mark

I moved here to Adelaide 12 mths ago and picked up the bike the day after arriving I organised everything before arriving, I bought new but could have sorted a 2nd hand bike just as easily, email an' tinternet is wonderful. A new bike will cost $22-24k second hand 1150s from $9.5k with serious miles and 1100 still changing hands for up to $10k. The web pages mentioned by others are a good start. When you know where you are going to be arriving you may get a tosser to have a look at a bike for you if you are near Adelaide I will anyway just as MikeF did for me. Just a note here 2nd hand stuff hold value as bikes seem to last a lot longer I commonly see stuff here that has long ago desolved in the UK climate.
I have just renewed my insurance on a temp visa at $600, there is a loading if you do not have a local licence which needs PR.
Only when you get here will you appriciate the distances involved talking in days travel rather than the 100s of miles you are used to.

Good Luck

Just for the record:

Have finally replaced my stolen 1200GS. Cost was just over $25k including top box, Stainetune muffler and Wunderlich bars. On top of this there was rego of around $550 and stamp duty was $around $700. Then add to that insurance of nearly $1000 and you get the all up on road cost of just over $27k for a new 12. I got caught last time thinking that it only cost $23 to 24 as I forgot all those extras.

Also don't forget that if you are looking for the best riding roads in Australia there is this little off shore island just to the south of Victoria where there are no straight bits of road anywhere and wonderful scenery. THis compares to the ride east to west which goes past the longest straight stretch of railway in the world!

I know what I would choose.

Thaks guys,

Some really interesting stuff. We're planning to Go to Perth well near by anyway. I have to go on a student visa as it's my only option at my tender years! :rolleyes:

My brother lives in Sydney and I fancy the ride across keeping somewhat southward I think tho' I don't really know the route. All I know is it's about 2500 miles seems a good reason to try it to me :D

Still I have to get accepted yet should hear in a month or two. I'll be using the bike to commute every day from my new home to college.

Was insurance easy to arrange for someone just arriving and on a UK licence.
Cost wise I'm happy that I'll have enough cash from the equity in my house to see us through. The prices don't seem to be as high as I had feared!

Thanks again. If you want to add anything or make any suggestions, I'll appreciate it! Any BMW dealer web addresses? If anybody fancies joining me on my trip that would be great too!

Any Tossers near to Perth?
:thumb

Mikef said:
You will find a lot of the 'Aussies" on this forum are Expats

Indeed.. some of us are real Aussies eh! *nudge nudge*

:duck:

Great day for a ride today

well u have got some good feedback so u will be fine. This is a great country to travel . If u are comming to sydney, pick up your bike and give one of us a call. my number is 0418277128 i would like any aussie be glad to help. Now get on the net and yunta,arkaroola ,copley,william creek hotel,the oodnadatta track,ayres rock, the tanimai track,halls creek,broome. These places when connected ( except for a few tourist sites) will take you across this great land and then u can head down the coast of western australia and to perth.
A good set of 60/40 dirt tyres will cover this distance. always ride with a camelbac and carry one 10 litre plus a full tank for the tanami including filling up at all the available fuel stops ,to get you to rabbit flat.
Fill up at every place u find on the tanami and if stuck u can buy fuel at billyuna. This should get the boys going as we have all ridden thses places many times...Bm should do about 300 on a tank and as low as 270 if u get up it, The bilyuna floods at certain times and rabits flat is closed a few days of the week

Wooo beachman - unless the pom likes riding on sand with a fully loaded bike I'd not send him on yer route. Slowly slowly bring them onto the dirt.

Rabit Flat IIRC is only officially open on Friday to Monday inclusive... {you may get supplies at other times if your resonable and subsurvient} Expect prices over $2 a litre... may be $3?

rabit flat

yeah but brings back fond memories frank...The vb's were $4 last time i went through.I dont remember the sand but its easy to forget the pain once u have done the job i suppose....I was on my 1150 gs then, i can wait to retract my steps on the hp2...

Beachman, my bladder holds more than the HP2 tank. I think you'll have to make so me major modifications if you intend that route on one of them.

To answer the original fellas enquiry:- Perth to Sydney is quite easy, it just takes time. In a straight line expect 4 days travelling time, you basically don't travel at night due to the possibility of hitting wildlife, this does extend what you would normally think is a two or three day maximum trip.

Things like kangaroos or wombats (which are not the greatest thing to hit) do a lot of their perambulations in the dark hours as it's cooler. Cattle are also a major threat at night.

If you wish to take a scenic route, then the trip could easily stretch into a two week one way affair.

Mick.

Last edited:
If you send to me at (bmbenr12gs@hotmail.com) your email details I can forward them onto my mate in south England, who has just got home from riding 23000km trip around Australia on my K series and he might answer your questions over a couple of :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: thats if you are from the UK.

your bladder mick

u are stating the obvious, please grant us that travel this land, the respect to know how to equip anything from a lawn mower to a hp2 with the means to get the job done.....DER...
By the way, u cant really think a bloke would not take into the equation, fuel when travelling anywhere????
Give us some good feedback that we can chew over....

Perth to Sydney

Hi Hogdawg,
Insurance etc has been well and truly covered here regards OZ so I'll concentrate on your ride from Perth to Sydney.
I ride from kalgoorlie to Phillip Island every year (mostly twice a year) for Moto GP and Superbikes.
Although this is to Melbourne (PI is south 1.5 hrs) it only takes a little less than 3 days, so your trip is really quite achievable.
There are plenty of servos and motels etc along the way and the longest distance between these is from Norseman to balladonia (about 200 k's), so you can do it easy on most bikes (except a VTR SP I flogged one year and ran out of juice).
I have experienced just about all weather from 46 deg C down to absolute freezing with everything between.
The Nullabor plain can be a bit monotonous, but to a new arrival I think it will be a great experience, especially one completely straight section of road for 90 kms.
I live in Kalgoorlie, so if you do attempt the trip, drop me an email and you can crash for a night and I'll point you in the right direction.
Regards
paul

Back
Top Bottom