Mobile phones, bikes & Starcom/Autocom

JohnC

Reaction score
I need a new mobile and I was thinking of getting one with a radio to use with my Starcom, mainly for any traffic info on the way to work. I have a fair journey every day and think that this could be useful. Does anyone here use thier mobile as a radio while on the move? If so I was wondering what phone you use and how you have set it up.

tia

John

JohnC said:
I need a new mobile and I was thinking of getting one with a radio to use with my Starcom, mainly for any traffic info on the way to work. I have a fair journey every day and think that this could be useful. Does anyone here use thier mobile as a radio while on the move? If so I was wondering what phone you use and how you have set it up.

tia

John

I use the radio function on my Nokia 6230i for radio on the move and the IPod for my own music.

The radio works well and sound quality is excellent.

I have it mounted on a universal phone cradle from RAM but its not necessary as you can put it in a pocket, tank bag etc.

PICT0004.jpg

Thanks Thunder. So does this just plug into your Autocom/starcom? Does it come with the necessary jack plug or do you use headphones? And if so does it come with its own headphones? Can it answer calls hands free? I take it the phone is not waterproof. Sorry for the questions but I know very little about mobiles :)

Note that both the SonyEricsson K750i and the upcoming (and extremely superb) K800i both have RDS FM radios which will auto-retune as you travel around.

The awkward thing about them is getting a 2.5mm adaptor doo-dah to plug into the bottom and connect to your Autocom/Starcom. However, Autocom will take a cable handsfree set and wire it up to plug direct into the Autocom for you. Top chaps.

Hmm, thanks Tobers, I was wondering about connectivity. Do any phones now-a-days have a 2.5mm jack as standard? They all seem to have some sort of USB connector. I'm sure I read somewhere that certain phones have a dongle that allows you to use a 2.5 mm jack.

JohnC said:
Thanks Thunder. So does this just plug into your Autocom/starcom? Does it come with the necessary jack plug or do you use headphones? And if so does it come with its own headphones? Can it answer calls hands free? I take it the phone is not waterproof. Sorry for the questions but I know very little about mobiles :)

The phone itself does not come with a jack plug connection but I got a converter and the necessary lead from my autocom dealer and it plugs straight into the Pro 7.

You can configure the phone to anwser automatically when it registers a handsfree kit is connected.

It's not waterproof, I have it in a case which is water resistent and am currently looking at options for a totally waterproof case.

Tobers has made a good point about RDS radio on phones. The Nokia does not have this and it would be useful if you were covering large distances.

JohnC said:
Hmm, thanks Tobers, I was wondering about connectivity. Do any phones now-a-days have a 2.5mm jack as standard? They all seem to have some sort of USB connector. I'm sure I read somewhere that certain phones have a dongle that allows you to use a 2.5 mm jack.

Few phones use a jack plug connection, take a look at this years Autocom brochure
they list what phones thye can connect to and all the leads they supply.

You can also get adaptor plugs from Sensorcom (www.sensorcom.com and click on mobile phones) to plug into the bottom of the phone and provide a 2.5mm connector for your Autocom to plug straight into.

Cant see one for the K750 or K800 though, so best is to send the handsfree lead to Autocom and they'll fiddle with it - you'll end up with a lead with the original Ericsson plug at one end to go into the phone and a suitably wired plug at the other end to go into the Autocom - job done :D

Thanks again Tobers. So will the Autocom modified lead will fit a Starcom then? I was thinking of the K750i as Carphone Warehouse are doing a good deal on these.

Ah! Great, I think sensorcom make an adapter for the 750i. :thumb

SC1476 Sony Ericsson **
RETRACTACLE
D750i, K610i, K750i, M600i, P990i, W550i, W800i,
W810i, W900i, W950i, Z520i
£8.00 £4.00 £3.20 £2.80 £2.60 £2.40

Arghhh! Just phoned them up to order it, and was told it only comes as a 3.5mm. All the green areas on the PDF compatability list are 3.5mm apparently. What a pain as I really like the look of the 750i :(

Oh well, it's either look for a 2.5mm compatabile phone adapter and buy a phone to suit or go Bluetooth :mmmm

I just clicked on the 'more' link Tobers and dl'd the PDF, it's the same PDF for all the adapters and I was told that the green areas are all 3.5mm.

Just bought one - will report back. A 3.5 to 2.5mm adaptor is easy to come by from lots of places so I'm not too worried about that.

Ah great, never thought about an adapter for the adapter :D

Was it part no. SC1476 you bought?

If you are just looking for radio, also consider using a standard MP3 player with the radio function. The MP3 cable is normally included with Starcom anyway. I'm using my SanDisk that way - works great. Rather add the separate volume control - now that is handy!

Headset or not, I just found talking on a cell and driving in trafic a bit too "busy" for my liking!

Thunder said:
John, you can get a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter from Maplins.

Tobers. How much do Autocom charge to convert a headset adapter to a 2.5mm jack plug end?

Cheers Thunder.

Thunder said:
John, you can get a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter from Maplins.

Tobers. How much do Autocom charge to convert a headset adapter to a 2.5mm jack plug end?

They did mine for free including return post! I think they were feeling generous that day!

JohnC - yes, SC1476 at £9.99 inc VAT & postage

Any updates Tobers? I was wondering how this will work as I'm sure the hands free (headphones) kit acts as an ariel.

Back
Top Bottom