Plymouth/Santander Ferry - Cancelled

nick

Reaction score
The ferry was damaged in a storm and will not sail again for at least a week.

If anyone was booked on this ferry, then contact Brittany Ferries ASAP.

Our group was Picos bound on Wednesday and will now be riding from Calais to Santander through France instead.

nick said:
Our group was Picos bound on Wednesday and will now be riding from Calais to Santander through France instead.
I hope the weather improves for you. Cats and dogs in Northern France today and for last few days (I think the storms chased us NE across France) with some exhilarating blustery very strong side winds - our last campsite owner said forecast was same for next few days also :eek:

Yup, I had a phone call from Brittany ferries to tell me they had crashed the ship into a 40' wave (did'nt they see it coming???) in heavy seas and cancelled us out :spitfire ....we fixed alternate via north west france and will hammer on down to make most of few days that are left to tour spain!!
they did say it might be fixed by our original return date on 1st june but as no guarantee we will just have to lump it!
Ironic as we wanted to use the fery to have a relaxed start to the trip :beerjug: and avoid the boring mway blast thru france... I will be submitting a claim for additonal costs and inconvinience on return, will be interested to see how far I get with that!

I've just rung them, the boat should be back in service by Thursday 25th May :thumb

Well, if it is back in service by then we may switch back to it....which means we can explore a bit more of that part of the world, rather than more french autoroutes on way back!
:bounce1

I read about it in the news today, the boat was the Pont Aven and was hit by a 50ft wave, smashing windows and flooding cabins as high as Deck 6. A number of people injured, many through flying glass. They were in a force 9 at the moment....nice!!

Three of us came back on this last Friday and it was a bumpy crossing to say the least (Restaurant was empty when I went up there at 9pm for a sarnie and some water & choccy for the other two in the cabin).

So much so that the nice friendly crew made a bed of sports bikes for my Adv to lie against so it wouldn't get damaged :D

Not a mark on my bike :thumb

But their nice shiny new looking fairings............ :mmmm

I had to stifle a smile when he asked "Are you liable or is it the ferry company?"

I was there...

Number 6 said:
A quote from one of the passengers .........“We knew conditions were getting bad the night before when the magician had to cancel his act because his table kept sliding off the stage.” :eek: :eek: :eek:

more here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2192209,00.html
Just returned from being dumped in France - too far to ride down to Spain and couldn't guarantee that the boat would have been repaired in time to take us back to Plymouth. Besides, had enough of sea travel now as all 15 bikes fell over during the ferry crossing to France a few weeks ago over the May Bank holiday. Decided to head back home via the Chunnel. Much smoother. Next time, will opt for the Chunnel every time. Just added 1,000 miles to the bike and all for nothing. Bollox. At least we didn't have to actually evacuate the ship, though was a close call.

Attachments

• 0,,301977,00.jpg
    0,,301977,00.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 382
Lord Snooty said:
I read about it in the news today, the boat was the Pont Aven and was hit by a 50ft wave, smashing windows and flooding cabins as high as Deck 6. A number of people injured, many through flying glass. They were in a force 9 at the moment....nice!!
I was on Deck 5 :(

Three of us came back on this last Friday

Me too. Not a good sailor and spent the entire journey lying down between vomiting. Not a wink of sleep through what was a very rough night.

Pleased to think I wasn't on it two days later for this trip.

I am in Potes..

I have been in Potes and the Piccos for several days now.. met a group of bikers from the brum.. who wer eon the ferry when the window was caved in and it started taking in water.. had to put into rostoff (typo?) and ride down loosing two days..

Weather in picos is great.. weather in france was horrible coming over on the 19th adn the pyreneses was ok till i got snowed and poured down upon on the col de tormulate (typo?) though there is still snow about on many of the peaks :D

Seems Piccos is empty of UK bikers.. lots of germans and folks from the netherlands..

The guys i met, were just hoping the ferry would be fixed intime, seems it might not be..

rocks said:
Seems Piccos is empty of UK bikers.. lots of germans and folks from the netherlands..
We'd been and gone, heard about the anticipated influx of Germans and Dutch. :D

71955502-M.jpg

71960001-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom