Quick erect tent - advise please

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
OK..I have the standard dome tent but when it is breezy it is a bugger to get erected. Never bought a quick erect ( if they exist) tent. I need one for either just me plus cooker etc or a 2 person size. I need one that is comfortable for a bike rally should it be raining and not one of those that you simply slide into just to sleep.
Any advise where one is obtainable either new or as new would be appreciated and it must obviously be capable of single person erection !!!

Cheers :thumb

there's only one man here to answer a question like that :D

Good up to a point..

My experience of friends who have bought such tents is.. they are OK.. but upto a point. When they work they aregoood, but some friends had, some kyham ones,and the plastic knuckles broke,... thus tent would not stay up and one tore the outer fradric.

Personally I now have an exped orion, before that a northface bull frog.. both costly tents, but the north face could be errected in under 2 mins in windy weather, though i will admit getting the fly sheet on required to use your brain and work from the up wind side first..

I have only used the orion a few times, and it is present errected on a hill side out side Potes´in spain.. its not a quick to put up at the north face, as the pole sleaves are nylon not cloth and so the poles stick, but each time i use it, it takes me less and less time. The orion pitches with inner and out togather, so not like the north face, which was generally inner first.

When I was in the shop they had a few different sizes ;)

I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair :eek:

:D :D

Attachments

• gd-asset_2421392.jpg
    gd-asset_2421392.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 556
Vaude Mk 2
13504.jpg

Watched a Khayam next to me distort and invert in a gale (and he took longer to put it up)
The mate with the Khayam never used it again, and ended up buying a Vaude. :rob

I don`t know if you can still buy them new,but I`ve got a Khyam Nimrod.

Highly recommended.......it`s up in a flash...even singlehandedly..... and stormproof (it must be,as it`s survived the last two BMF Rallies ! )

Big enough for two adults plus bike gear yet still not too big/bulky to carry even when on the back of the Legobike....

I've used Khyam tents for the past 10 years with no problems. I have the Biker atm and I'd say it's a half decent compromise of size and weight for carrying on a m/bike. You will need storm guyes (sp?) though for anything more than a gentle breeze :thumb

DAKAR-2004-041.jpg

cookie said:
there's only one man here to answer a question like that :D
eff off roger :upyou

where's the bleeding moderator when you need him ?

Seriously, if i can say anything here without having the p1ss taken mercilessly, the Khyam McKinley is a good choice - bigger than the Biker model they do - just been camping with the whole family (wife + 3 kids) and we could sit comfortably in the outer bit of the tent to munch our food when the weather wasn't that good. The inner tent will sleep 4 at a push.

The quick erect mechanism isn't perhaps as foolproof as it might be, but I have finally got the knack after several practice runs.

Right - serious bit over - OK Steptoe, Fanum, Cookie, Whatton et al - do your worst ! :upyou

Pint6x said:
Seriously, if i can say anything here without having the p1ss taken mercilessly, the Khyam McKinley is a good choice - bigger than the Biker model they do - just been camping with the whole family (wife + 3 kids) and we could sit comfortably in the outer bit of the tent to munch our food when the weather wasn't that good. The inner tent will sleep 4 at a push.

The quick erect mechanism isn't perhaps as foolproof as it might be, but I have finally got the knack after several practice runs.

Right - serious bit over - OK Steptoe, Fanum, Cookie, Whatton et al - do your worst ! :upyou

Oi !! It's my thread..I get first 'pop' at you !!! :)

Cheers Kenny

P.S. Thanks for the advice guys..I'm mulling it all over :thumb

tent

Hi Kenny
Try a Vaude Monolith 2 person with a porch which you can store panniers etc inside easy to erect and fits in a top box, we got our second one off E-Bay from a German company for less than £100 instead of £200ish u.k companies ask for , mind it was last years colours which just happen to be this years as well. :bounce1
Hovis

Just another option out there. I got tired of spending all that time putting up and taking down my 2 man Eureka Sentinel and bought a 4 man Apache. I now don't have crawl in and out and I can stand up to change cloths.

They have a video showing how fast they go up and it is pretty close to being true.

http://www.apachetents.com/

Back
Top Bottom