Which way north from Stavanger

Wolfe

Landing at Stavanger late June and heading North. Any recommendations for the best route to take avoiding too many ferries as I'd to ride some having just crossed the North Sea!
My bike prefers road to water.

Ta

Ride With The Wind

Hi Wolfe!

First time on a motorbike in Norway?
Don't be afraid! :)
Just keep left, and don't hesitage to pick narrow roads on your map!
But keep in mind travelling in Norway takes some time, even on the ''fast'' roads.

(A key to some letters:
Æ, æ = AE, ae,
Ø, Ø = OE, oe,
Å, å = AA, aa.)

OK, your question:
If you really do not want any ferry at all from Stavanger to lets say Odda/Voss then you have to ride some slow and narrow roads, and a lot more kilometres - but those roads are the prettiest and funniest for a tourist.
But I read somewhere you are going far north, so I guess you want a fast road out of Stavanger the first day or so.

Fast road - less kilometres = one fast large ferry!
If my map is correct your ferry from Newcastle arrives at the noth end of Stavanger. Follow signs for E39 over the island Rennesøy, through some long thunnels (no charge for motorbikes) and take the ferry from Mortavika to Aarsvågen (Årsvågen).
You better tie up your bike a little as you are going to cross Boknafjorden.
After 30 minutes you are at the other side.
http://www.rogtraf.no/
Then follow E39 for 35 kilometres, then follow the sign E134 direction Odda.
You have to pay toll for your motorbike at the end of Åkrafjorden, and at the ferry.

There are more options if you want a slower route, like the ferry Stavanger centre - Tau, and follow road 13, but there is a small ferry (no need to tie up the motorbike) and many thunnels. A slow, but nice route!

Or avoid the Stavanger - Tau-ferry and ride south through Sandnes and Jørpeland. But you still get a small ferry further north...
After passing Odda at road number 13, at Kinsarvik and Brimnes, you can choose a smell ferry or go east.
My chois would be to follow road number 13/E16 north (ferry Brimnes - Bruravik, Voss, Vinje. Then turn east at E16 and ride to Gudvangen.
A note!
The road from Vinje, passing Stalheim, to Gudvangen is weeeeeeery special if you remember to ride up to Stalheim Hotel!!! You have to turn off the main road, (not the thunnel) and ride up the nice road to Stalheim Hotel. Stop, go through the hotel lobby and out in the garden and look at the view and the road down!!! My favorit!!
Then, back on your bike, and ride down that really special road, we call it STALHEIMSKLEIVENE. and soon yu are back on the main road aain, heading for Gudvangen.
(Sissies can ride the thunnel at the main road. Or ride the thunnel, and then ride Stalheimskleivene up! I prefèr up; it's better to meet busses when you ride up.)

At Gudvangen and Nærøyfjorden you can choos what you like, but I want you to know that we have a long thunnel up there - it's special! It's new, wide, with lights, and it's not scary at all.

I'm feeling exhiting as I write this - memories are coming to me! :)

I'm glad to help!

:) Liv.
(The pic; inside the loooong thunnel Lærdalstunnelen. Not my bike.)

Attachments

• Lærdalstunnelen, inni med en F GS.jpg
    Lærdalstunnelen, inni med en F GS.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 182
Here I am in Stalheimskleivene! :thumb

Liv.

Attachments

• Stalheimskleivene, Liv på Scarver'n, i sving, står50,5Kb.jpg
    Stalheimskleivene, Liv på Scarver'n, i sving, står50,5Kb.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 183
Norway routes

Liv,

Many thanks for your very detailed reply with lots of good information. I'll study your info. with a map and pick a good one!

I know how you feel when you recall trips and get a buzz again! I feel the same way about Alaska and Arizona to name two!

Thanks again.

Ride With The Wind

Liv,
I followed your suggestion and took the Stalheim Hotel route which was great. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 weeks touring through your country's lovely scenery and also visited a fair bit of Sweden and Finland.
I'll definitely be back again.
I know you're not a lover of the ride to Nordkapp but it's a great excuse to see a lot of your country. I arrived at Norkapp in strong, cold winds and cloud and left in gorgeous sunshine. It was awesome!!!!
If I knew how to post a photo I'd show you my view from the Stalheim Hotel.
Many thanks again. You've been a great help to so many visitors to your lovely land.

Thank you! :bounce1
It's nice to know you liked Stalheim and Norway!
Spread the word, and bring friends next time! :beerjug:

Liv,

I hope you recognise the view on the attached photo! :beerjug:

Attachments

• Nordkapp Trip Stalheim Hotel.jpg
    Nordkapp Trip Stalheim Hotel.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 87
Toppers, Wolfe! :bounce1

It's the road up from Gudvangen/Nærøyfjorden to Stalheim!
:)
I rode up there. -Did you ride it down? That is not a job sissies! :clap But the sissies can ride up, and go down the boring road, and up the fun road again, and down the boring road, and... over and over again! :thumb
-Did you met a bus there? I did!

Liv,

I went down it but didn't meet a bus, fortunately.
My rear suspension was also faulty and was on minimum pre-load setting all trip so bumps, holes and ridged gravel were not any fun!

Back
Top Bottom