Channel Crossing?

Shep

Shep of the Dessert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Might have to make a last minute dash to france at the end of the month, what is the best crossing just to turn up at without pre-booking, dont really care where I go from as long as its to France or Belgium :nenau

Or is there too much of a price penalty to pay for just turning up :eek: The most notice I could give would be 2 days :rolleyes:

Two of us on the bike :thumb

Shep :bounce1

Taking bike back from Germany 2 weeks back I booked on a Friday for a Sunday morning crossing (42 Euro)..
I made good time so made it to Calais on Saturday at about 5.
They just took my booking number and told me I'd have to wait about 2 hours for the next opening so I'd suggest prebooking at the cheapest rate for the latest possible time you're travel and turn up early..

Shep said:
Might have to make a last minute dash to france at the end of the month, what is the best crossing just to turn up at without pre-booking, dont really care where I go from as long as its to France or Belgium :nenau

Or is there too much of a price penalty to pay for just turning up :eek: The most notice I could give would be 2 days :rolleyes:

Two of us on the bike :thumb

Shep :bounce1

Shep said:
Or is there too much of a price penalty to pay for just turning up :eek: The most notice I could give would be 2 days
If you can - pre-book the Tunnel - it was nearly twice the price for me just turning up :eek:

Clive said:
If you can - pre-book the Tunnel - it was nearly twice the price for me just turning up :eek:

Check em all and then weigh up whether you want a quick crossing and sit on the deck or stand up or sit on the boat with all the booze cruisers....

Then book the one that fits your requirements... I have booked the evening before travel and had no problems getitng the cheapest available.

I suggest checking all routes as they vary, some days the Tunnel is half the price of the ferries, other times it's the opposite and the ferry is cheaper.... it all depends on what they consider are "heavy" crossing times.... i.e. ones where they charge more and get away with it....

Clive said:

... and book at least 24 hours in advance.

They use a dynamic pricing policy and the prices change.

A couple of weeks ago Simon paid £34 for a one way crossing, I logged on 20 minutes later and was charged £72 - 23 hours and 45 mns before departure !!!

Back
Top Bottom