Another KTM Rider

mhibbert

Hello everyone

I have used this excellent forum for a few months now but not really participated until today. I live in Macclelsfield (just south of Manchester) and ride a KTM Adventure which I recently acquired from a KTM dealer in Cumbria (the dark side as some call it :)). I was very close to buying a GS1200 but in the end it came down to the price.

Recently I attended the BMW off-road course in Wales on a 650GS, run by Simon Pavey. A fantastic two days which I can recommend to anyone thinking about it.

Not to ramble on - I'm riding up to Durness, North West Scotland on Thursday (8th June) hoping to stay at Sango Bay campsite that night. Then Friday/Saturday down the west coast Gairloch/Ullapool/Isle of Skye. Hoping to watch the England game somewhere which could be difficult in Scotland - I'm sure I'll get a warm welcome from the Jocks :).

Anyway if anyone is riding out that way over the next four days it would be good to meet up.

Cheers
Mike Hibbert

p.s. I hear the petrol stops are scarce up there (Lairg, Durness, Scourie area). Does anyone have a list of petrol stations for the area ?, thanks alot.

Hiya Mike,

Welcome aboard.......even though you haven`t got a 'proper' bike :D :D

Sponsor the site and you`ll be able to post pictures from your Scotland trip...

We`ll be waiting.............. :p

Few places to use also is......

www.advrider.com (good UK community building up)

Also there are four of us on.....

www.larf-online.com which is mainly off road stuff with exc's and WR's but you could ride around the peaks with us at times.Check the couple of ride reports on there.We're surrounding Leicestershire altho one guy is near swarkestone bridge area.

Thanks for the welcome.

If the Scottish weather is kind to me I'll try to get some photos. Thanks Blue(UK) for the forum suggestions I'll take a look.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
If this is not too late might be of some use..............If you were doing a circular(ish) route petrol in more remote areas of highlands north/north west of Dingwall should be available in the following areas: Lairg, Tongue, Durness, Scourie, Lochinver, Ullapool, Dundonnel Hotel, Laide, Gairloch, Kinlochewe, Lochcarron (No Petrol at Achnasheen anymore), Applecross(expensive), Kyle of Lochalsh and onto Skye....................or back down to Inverness. If heading up to Durness via Lairg, well worth riding the Glen Hope road-Altnahara to Loch Eribol, it really is the middle of nowhere. The weathers great at the moment so have a good safe trip.

Ian

Many thanks Ian - the petrol information is excellent. I will be heading to Durness via Lairg. I take it the Glen Hope road is off the A836 near Altnaharra through Allnacaillich coming up by Loch Hope. It sounds like the route to take.

Thanks again
Mike

Back
Top Bottom