Adventure Panniers Fail Crash Test

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just found this thread on ADVrider - apparently Adventure alloy panniers have their bases glued on.........

Which is nice.

MikeO:rolleyes:

It's things like that which make you start wondering what other corners have been cut by BMW???:shoot:

Mike O said:
Just found this thread on ADVrider - apparently Adventure alloy panniers have their bases glued on.........
Which is nice.
MikeO:rolleyes:

Mike

That's an outrageous slur and potentially libellous. In any case, I happen to KNOW the bases are held on with sellotape.

And they corrode too!!!

My cases have started to bubble up along the strip where they are glued together, just like what happens on the fork brace. It seems that anything painted in silver corrodes really easilly so i'm looking to have a rockster brace fitted and hopefully the panniers resprayed gloss black (to match the bike), maybe that will cure my quality control woes. 02 Adv 13K and, not counting the fuel and oil leaks i'm well chuffed with every one of them that we've done!!!

glued in

lets face it most of the guys reading this thread have there dentures glued in lets see if they pop out in a low speed collosion
you've got to expect some damage in the event of the unthinkable accuring i dont think the panniers would disintergrate unless pushed to the limit or if you drop the f==cking bike on them
and who is going off roading with a full set of luggage anyway
suck on that and start typing dudes
jon b
my speeling isss gittin wus
ps
02 adventure arn't the panniers still under warranty????

crap panniers

[Rantmode/on] I said they were total shite when they first came out, I even had the bloke on the mBw stand at the bike show agree that they weren't very well thought out. They are without doubt the worst luggage carrying things I've ever seen, but they've got bwm stamped on them, so they will sell in droves to the faithful followers. These things were designed by a totally non motorcycling committe who have just finished college and have no idea how what motorcycling is all about. Total tossers, the lot of them. If you were duped into buying some of these, go to the dealers, and tell them you want your money back, because they're not up to the job, they really hack me off these people who make this crap, make the wankers pay.
[Rantmode/off] tossers
last one that:shoot:

I havent played with them, i havent dropped them, i havent even seen them...but i do know that they make planes and formua one cars with glued on bits.....the objection surely shouldnt be about the use of glue but the quality of build.......Aluminium welding is a real tricky thing to get consistancy with and i'd have thought the right glue and technique would be as good if not better than a weld.

Like i said, i havent even seen these things properly but i reckon its a bit unfair to judge the issue from one, potentially isolated case.

Fanum said:
Aluminium welding is a real tricky thing to get consistancy with

It take's a true craftsman to produce this sort of hand made quality.....

mygstomoroc5.jpg

*BOWS IN VERN'S DIRECTION*

Looks impressive.

PLease dont tell me you went out and took that in the miiddle of the night Paul?

(hehe...ive got toothache, thats my excuse!)

My last car was glued together.

I guess I must have been lucky, 'cos it didn't fall apart.

MBW Stand

must admit looked around all the stands at last years bike show but did;nt find the Mbw stand Vern.
no wonder they were slagging off BMW they Didnt know who they where ??!!:p

Fanum,

I've got no problem with adhesives being used in the appropriate place - glues are used extensively in the aerospace & motor industries to great effect and they can have great advantages in weight saving and strength. It is, however, fairly clear that in this case, the use of adhesive is inappropriate. I don't know whether this accident was a 'one in a million' freak occurence, but I do know that, when I chose my panniers I did it with the thought 'what's going to happen when I dump this in the middle of nowhere'. The answer had to include: 1. Minimal chance of damage to the bike (ie, the panniers would have to come off, probably) 2. Panniers had to be strong enough to withstand the force of the impact relatively intact (hence heavy gauge aluminium & no welds on major edges) and 3. The frames had to be steel, so I could bget them re-welded (if necessary) wherever I was.

I looked at the Adv panniers and was quickly convinced that, although they looked very smart, the hinges and latches looked insubstantial and the panniers themselves appeared flimsy. I did quite like the idea of the frames, though (although they are VERY ugly IMHO :D).

My first set of panniers were 41 litre Zegas, which I've since replaced with Jesse's, using the above criteria after dumping the bike in December (the Zega's took a bit of a pounding in a low speed spill & the Jesse's seem better put together generally, as well as looking a little less like Dominoes delivery boxes...).

MikeO:)

Panniers glued together...

IIRC, the swinging arm on the DR350s and 400s are glued together.
Likewise, I had on one occasion, a front sight glued to the barrel of a 12-bore. This stood up to the recoil ( using h/v 1 1/4 oz loads)without breaking until I took it off 9 months later.

As with welding, gluing has it's place, and is dependent on being done properly, and on a correctly designed joint.
The esteemed Vern can obviously weld properly, and his joints appear, to my less than 100% expert eye, to be designed to maximise the joint strength.
Possibly, B$W designers have overlooked the importance of this?

Or should I say, possibly the accountants at B$£W have overlooked it, or deemed it of less importance than the badge on the outside:mad:

(Does this qualify me for a free "Evaluation Set", Vern?;) )

P

A sticky note

If you get two small bits of 3mm sheet Ali and stick them together flat to flat(10mm lap) using the correct techno bonding agent and the correct method then test it to destruction you will find that the base material will fail BEFORE the bonded joint!! It`s that strong. I think B&W must be using the wrong glue.
:rolleyes:

Mike O said:
when I chose my panniers I did it with the thought 'what's going to happen when I dump this in the middle of nowhere'. The answer had to include: 1. Minimal chance of damage to the bike (ie, the panniers would have to come off, probably) 2. Panniers had to be strong enough to withstand the force of the impact relatively intact (hence heavy gauge aluminium & no welds on major edges) and 3. The frames had to be steel, so I could get them re-welded (if necessary) wherever I was.

I to dismissed the Adv panniers upon first laying eyes on them.. The Hepco Bekkers on my '02 ADV have been down the road, twice (sigh), broke the latch the second time (same side) holding it onto the frame, no big deal, used a bit of wire (I always carry some with me) to tie the latch up to the frame and rode home (900km the second time, 300km the first time), latch is easily detached (pop rivets) and replaced.

dscn1094.jpg

PS My stock Adv bars (come standard with the bike in Aus) worked fine each time :thumb

Back
Top Bottom