Baltic Advice

sethmopp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning to ride to Finland via Poland and the baltic states. Poland seems to be OK, but I've been fed with a few scare stories about the Baltic States, basically being told to avoid them. The problem for me is that I'll be travelling alone and have next to no language skills. I have seen a few bits and pieces of late on the site, but would appreciate some definite information to help get the best out of the short time I will have.

Well somebody helpful is bound to say do a search as there's loads of posts on the Baltic states so I'll get in first:)
Have driven in Estonia and spent a bit of time there and it's great, some rutted roads but a load of EU money is fixing them up pretty good.
There's a gang on here that have done the trip the other way around and I'm sure they'll give some good advice.
Don't worry...have fun.

Can't tell you about the other Baltic states, but I've toured Poland on my own and had no problem whatsoever - in fact sometimes the people were just too friendly, and wanted to talk when I was busy. Apart from about 10 stock phrases (eg yes, no, left, right, unleaded etc) I picked up from a guide book, I couldn't speak any Polish either but a lot of the Poles can speak some English and there's always sign language if all else fails - surprisingly useful too. If you're after a favour take your crash helmet off (surprising how many people find them intimidating) and smile a lot - it worked for me. :D

Just like any sizeable town or city, you'll find "rough" parts everywhere if you go looking for them. :thumb

I'd rather ride around that area than ride around Birmingham,Manchester or any other big city in the UK.When I go away anywhere,I always feel much more relaxed once I'm away from our scummy shores!

PS please note,I always get raped,murdered,shot and run over on all my trips.It becomes quite fun after a while.

Just go,relax and have fun,then come back and tell us all about it :beerjug:

Nothing to worry about

The Baltic states are fine and as everyone else has already said there is nothing to worry about apart from some rutted roads in Poland. As the other guy said though most of them are being upgraded and re-surfaced from EU funding. Vilneus is definatley worth a visit and is a great city, lots of cafes etc and some very fine looking women! No problems with Police and dodgy officials like in Russia. All very friendly

We travelled through Poland etc last year and you can check out our travels on
www.theworld-ismyoyster.com

Wish I was back there now! You should have a great time.

No problems whatsoever,According to the last figures from the Blair camp all the dangerous people from the baltic states are currently on benefits over here. :D

seriously nice people and great vodka what more do you need ........apart from a bit more tarmac on the roads :D

Gazzr said:
The Baltic states are fine and as everyone else has already said there is nothing to worry about apart from some rutted roads in Poland. As the other guy said though most of them are being upgraded and re-surfaced from EU funding. Vilneus is definatley worth a visit and is a great city, lots of cafes etc and some very fine looking women!

I think you'll find that Estonian girls are the most beautiful in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom