Accomodation in France made simple

cookiemonster

Hello

Dont know how widely they're known, so thought I'd give a little plug for Logis De France for anyone looking for places to stay in France. They're a network of independant hotels across France, usually family owned and run with high standards of food and comfort: they often make a big thing about using local produce and serving up local dishes and wines. I've stayed in Logis everytime I've been to France for years and years, and, from the Alps to the Ardenne, and the Dordogne to the gorge DU tarn (sorry... :) ) have yet to find a duffer.

I've only stayed in the more "rural" and villagey places: so i cant speak for the more modern hotels or city locations. But there's a great range of hotels. Also, the web site as them listed on a map so you can have a look at the rough area you're aiming for and choose something that looks good. Costs are moderate: maybe €35 a night for B&B; so you're not camping, but its not 5-star prices by any means.

There are a couple of pics below of places i stayed during my last run through France a few weeks back. The top two pics are of the place in the Dordogne, 400 miles and one day from St Malo. Sitting outside and having a swift post-ride, pre-shower, "pression" was a highlight :) The view was of the 13C Roman fort thing, and you can see the GS at the petrol pump across the road which was outside of a slightly mad old womans house that would sit in her front room doing the knitting and then wander out when you pulled up :) Also the owner of the place had a 650 Dakar, so the GS was immdiately dispatched off to the garage for safe keeping over night. This place was also used by various UK classic car clubs apparently.

The bottom pic was of the place in the gorge du tarn: the hotel comprised the three buildings to the right of the chruch. You had to turn off the main Gorge road, come down and then cross over the bridge to get to the village. Again the owner was into his motocross, so the GS went off to the garage, and it was a stunning place for a post ride beer and the food was excellent :)

Hope this helps :)

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0221 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0221 (Medium).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0222 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0222 (Medium).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0260 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0260 (Medium).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 221
We have used the Logis many times and always been very pleased with the accommodation.

I've used Logis hotels quite a few times. They are generally fine and represent good value for money.

They are a great way to meet locals as they often have a bar/cafe attached. In small villages they might be the only bar.

Many have very good restaurants which serve local produce as the OP says.

One word of caution: the restaurant is likely to be closed on a Sunday. If you are booking into a rural location make sure there is somewhere you can get a meal before you start necking those pression: you might have to ride a few km to find somewhere open.

My thoughts based on many years travelling in France.

Do not rely on a 'brand' such as 'Logis France' when making your choice of hotel. If you are finding a hotel at the end of each day then your instincts are a better guide. Does it look clean and well cared for.

Some Logis hotels gain a place in the chain because they have a lift or other feature that a good nights rest does not require. Some are quite simply shite, others are expensive as well or a combination of both.

The best hotel I have stayed in was found by accident near to Tours. It was basic and welcoming after following a sign on the main road. They had a bar and Pizzeria for food (spelt something like that). The good thing was that they had a special dark stella beer on tap (8.5%) with the 'vin ordinare' beer (spelling agin).

Have used them several times and provided you get a room away from road noise they seem good value. Hmmm, will pop over and ask Whatton if he do a .gdb file for them

Just to clarify -

Not saying that 'Logis' are bad, just that it does not mean they are good.

:beerjug:

OK, for you Garminers Whatton has done the deed in the GPS section

Kritou said:
OK, for you Garminers Whatton has done the deed in the GPS section

Didn't see this thread, here you go......

Attachments

• Logis Hotels France.gdb
    29.1 KB · Views: 71
Some come with excellent parking facilities... :D

"Just bring it in the garden..."

Attachments

• DSCN1128---small.jpg
    DSCN1128---small.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 315
Loads of excellent accomodation in France. Personally I don't slavishly use any one source of information. I tend to Google tourism followed by the area I'm interested in. It has thrown up many good hotels, and yes it does tend to include any Logis in the area.

Hey, Cookiemonster - where exactly are these? I'm looking to go for a quick tour shortly, looping through both these areas and may give them a try. The one in the Gorge du Tarn looks spectacular!

I thoroughly agree with the comments about quality, especially the food. I had the *best meal of my life* in one coming back from the Dordogne area. Everything about the meal was perfect. Problem is, I can't remember where the hotel was.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
I thoroughly agree with the comments about quality, especially the food. I had the *best meal of my life* in one coming back from the Dordogne area. Everything about the meal was perfect. Problem is, I can't remember where the hotel was.

Tim

Did you pay by credit/debit card? If so , and you can remember the date, your bank statement might give you a clue

se7en said:
Hey, Cookiemonster - where exactly are these? I'm looking to go for a quick tour shortly, looping through both these areas and may give them a try. The one in the Gorge du Tarn looks spectacular!

Hi - The Gorges one was:

AUBERGE DE LA CASCADE
48210 SAINT CHELY DU TARN

Its here on the logis site, and has a position of N44 20.171 E3 23.056 on mapsource (if that helps...) :)

The other one was

HOSTELLERIE DE GOUJOUNAC
Le Bourg.
46250 GOUJOUNAC

here on the Logis site...

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon - I'll see if I can work them into my itinerary - never enough time to ride everywhere you want......

Cheers

Chris

Back
Top Bottom