holiday report

kyle

Reaction score
sunday 18/6/06

what a crap start. woke up to torrential rain :eek: .i didnt mind this too much as us tossers dont seem to dissolve but there where 2 complete novices with usand they were going cause i had talked them into it.
any how 3 of us headed down to armagh to pick up the 4th member on his trike :rolleyes:

left to right alan,me,lawrence,jort

Attachments

• starting out.jpg
    starting out.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 180
trundled on down to newry where we stopped for brekky in macdonalds.

after wards on the road to border the lads reported a very rich smell from the trike.we pulled over to find ptrol pissing from airfliters of number one and two carbs :eek: all eyes on me as i was only one who knew about bikes.
a couple of taps on the float bowls with an umbrella lawrence had brought sorted
this.sadly this was only the start of a long list of prblems.
just a few miles further alan noticed the trike exhaust hanging off.this was fixed with a bungee.

with no further bother we headed on down for redcross and river valley ten site.
this was the most expensive at 14euro a head.too dear.
but as we were all wet and miserable we stayed.on the upside they have a bar/restaruant on site and ther was great rejoicing :beerjug: :beerjug:

Attachments

• camp one.jpg
    camp one.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 181
day 2 dawned wet and chilly.
our chef alan made a fry for brekky and we set off toward cork.
the day brightened up well and we actually got there without a hitch.
we found a site in carrigtwohill,jasmine villa.
the sign on the main road pointed in exactly the opposite direction so it took us a bit of running around asking the locals for directions but we got there eventually

alan on my k75c

Attachments

• alan.jpg
    alan.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 178
mon evening was brilliant weather.we dandered into the town after chef alan had done dinner.we went to to pubs were we had a pint in each of them but due too the lack of friendly welcome decided to get a crry out and go back to the tents.
and there was great rejoicing :beerjug: :beerjug:

day 3 you guessed it wet and cold :(
trike from hell rears its ugly head again. :mad: this time flat battery.
got him going with a push and headed towrds cork.got lost looking for somwhere to eat.i did see a yellow gs1150 and got a wave.dont know if tis anyone from here?
the trike stalled again in the middle of a busy street and had to be pushed again.
we were all starting to really hate this thing :spitfire
felt sorry for lawrence tho as he had bought it in a hurry just days before so he could come on the trip
heres a pic

Attachments

• trikey.jpg
    trikey.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 175
anyhow we trundled on towards bantry to a campsite called eagle point.
10euro a head.
only chef alan and i camped as jort had a bad cough and lawrence was soaked,arms up feet forward no screen etc.
met them in the pub for dinner and a few pints.and there was great rejoicing :beerjug: :beerjug:

Attachments

• eagle point.jpg
    eagle point.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 164
this is one of the best sites i have seen really nice setting and obviously well maitained

Attachments

• eagle point bikes.jpg
    eagle point bikes.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 172
day 4
dull showery
chef alan made brekky,kipper sarnies :D .
jort arrived from his b+b but no lawrence.trikey wouldnt start again.
we slowly rushed our brekky and took our time packing up so we could hurry slowly to his aid. our cunning plan worked as he got some poor innocent germans
to give him a push.
so we headed off bound for killarney.
just outside glengarriff we had to come to an abrupt halt.
the trikey(who would have guessed)was suffering again.
this time it was terminal.
the steering headbolt had sheered :eek: and one of the fork legs was cracked.
this meant the ngine was grounded out. there was no way to fix it without major surgery.
lawrence got on the phone to carole nash who after some discussion agreed to rescue him and it and take him back to armagh.we had our last lunch with him and
left him to wait for the recovery lorry :(
we were sad to lose him but were glad it happened at low speed.early in the trip we had been cruising at 80mph dont like to think what would have happened if the trikey failed at those speeds
heres a close up of the offending bolt and fork.

i think the guy who sold this to lawrence is real scum.there is no way you could have a thing this bad and not know it.
you can see the crack at the forkleg is rusted.this probably caused a stress fracture to the headbolt. :spitfire bastid :spitfire

Attachments

• broken head.jpg
    broken head.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 168
last lunch with lawrence in glengarriff

Attachments

• glengarriff lunch.jpg
    glengarriff lunch.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 169
and then there were 3.
so chef alan,jort and me headed up into the caha mountains.
the weather was clearing nicely tho there was a stiff breeze

Attachments

• view 1.jpg
    view 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 168
those two were looking over bantrybay.this one up the road a bit

Attachments

• view 3.jpg
    view 3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 169
on over into killarney where we decided not to stay as there was a big hog festival and to be honest we couldnt be arsed with that.
so we haeded for the dingle peninsula.
we went to castlegregory where we met missus chisurz.a brave lady goin round ireland on her own in this weather.much respect :bow
so we pitched camp in the anchor campsite.
this was nice site,well maintained and only 5euro a head.
chef alan cooked steaks,mushrooms,onions and spuds with the sauce of your choice :thumb all this on two coleman stoves on the ground.good feed :clap

then to the seven hogs pub about a twenty minute walk away.

Attachments

• chef alan.jpg
    chef alan.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 168
day 5

a brigt sunny morning :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 :clap :clap
kippers again fer brekky
then a quick dander down to the beach to blow cobwebs away
view is overlooking tralee bay

Attachments

• tralee bay.jpg
    tralee bay.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
we went to limerick to meet up with jorts daughter and he decided to part company with us there.the cough wasnt letting up.

and then there were two.
chef alan and i heade on to salthill,galway.
we pitched camp and then went for a meal.
i think the pub was i think called the spinnaker.(maybe some of you guys can confirm,its just up the hill beside the campsite)
any how we had the best salmon i have ever tasted,the bar staff were brilliant,and they seemed never to have heard of closing time :rolleyes:
we were there till 2.45am :eek:

sadly heard the place is soon to be levelled to make way for apartments.
but if u r down that way soon i would highly rcommend it :thumb

Attachments

• salthill camp.jpg
    salthill camp.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 105
day six dawned bright and sunny

chef alan and i were both a little fatigued so we decided just to trundle up to westport and set up camp early.

we dandered into town for lunch.
saw several norn reg bm,s led by 1200adv afew 1200gs,s and i think a yam and an rt? was it anyone here?

later that evening we went back into town and saw a gathering af vintage and classic cars.got chpis and dandered about reminissing about some of the cars ther that we could remeber our da,s having, :rob getting old or what? :rob

went round the pubs til we found the band FORSE.they were playing neil youngs
MY MY HEY HEY.so this attracted us in and it just kept getting better.
in particular a version of tom waits HALLELUJAH which was class.
go and see them if you get the chance.
so we stayed tere for rest of the night.

Attachments

• wetport.jpg
    wetport.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 104

Back
Top Bottom